Rengar Overnerfed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lait1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I'd like to see Rengar's bonetooth necklace be cheaper, or better yet, let him have it at the start of a match. maybe give him the option to sell it back and let the amount of gold you receive scale with how many stacks are on it.

I think that would fit with his hunter theme better as well

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-08-2012

thrill of the hunt should pick a random opponent

Puppeteer

11-08-2012

the only nerfs that were kinda over the top was his base hp and 10 ad on bonetooth as a iplay alot of rengar still hes fine but bonetooth is noth a good item and the hp regen only rly matter 1-3 while jungling

Bungboy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimus Terlain View Post
Rengar was designed to be an early game champion. His ability to get a level 1 kill in lane is his peak power. In the jungle, you get 4 in ferocity, then just Q-Q for basically a 1 hit kill as a level 2 gank.

That is his best phase of the game and he, rightfully, scales down as the game progresses.
The problem pre nerf was he was not scaling down properly. They fixed that and now he os operating just as they intended.

Now, obviously, he has the same opportunity as everyone else to get farmed into that "unkillable" status mid game, and his kit is definitely geared towards that goal.

But once 20-30 minutes have passed, he is a below average champion.

That's how champion design should work.

If you want him to be viable late game, he needs to give up some of his early game power.

It's the same way for people who want Garen, LeBlanc, Shaco, Pantheon or Renekton buffed. If you want to be viable late game, you can't be dominant early game. And vice versa (champs like Kog'maw, Vayne, Vlad, Amumu).

This is the epitome of balance, in my opinion.
He cannot instagib at level 1 anymore. It just does not happen anymore.He doesn't have enough damage to do it. He lost an extra auto attack worth of damage from his empowered Q nerf, which is a massive amount of damage to lose at level 1. His early game is just not that good, so he shouldn't need to "give up some of his early game power" to be viable lategame. He does not dominate the early game like he used to. Imo he either needs his scaling back or needs health regen/cooldowns buffed.

Dyzmatik

11-08-2012

I honestly and respectfully think that Riot gives no f*ck whether they should change the nerfs in the next patch, unless this forum thread turns into a 10 page debate.

This, in all justice, is my personal opinon.

Scontro

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
thrill of the hunt should pick a random opponent
More nerfs? really?

Onimus Terlain

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungboy View Post
He cannot instagib at level 1 anymore. It just does not happen anymore.He doesn't have enough damage to do it. He lost an extra auto attack worth of damage from his empowered Q nerf, which is a massive amount of damage to lose at level 1. His early game is just not that good, so he shouldn't need to "give up some of his early game power" to be viable lategame. He does not dominate the early game like he used to. Imo he either needs his scaling back or needs health regen/cooldowns buffed.
I just played a game recently. I was soraka support and I was supporting a Draven. The enemy team had a rengar jungle.

At first, I stupidly didn't buy any pink wards. Around level 6, I was just standing by Draven as he was CSing. Rengar appeared out of seemingly nowhere and pounce, E, Q, Q. I was down to about 20 hp before I even knew what was going on. Then Taric flash stunned Draven and they got a double kill.

Then I bought a pink ward and put it in the river.
He did the exact same thing, this time just by running up the lane (I'm assuming that's what he did anyway). We were pushed back so I had my side bush warded but not the back one (that ward ran out). Again I got instagibbed and Draven dropped soon after.

If Rengar gave those 4 kills to Ezreal, the game could have gone very differently.

But late game, Rengar wasn't able to instantly murder people.

That's what I mean when I say strong early game versus weak late game.

If he wants a more consistent late game, they should buff his numbers but put some sort of delay between Q and ferocity Q.

Now, I'm not suggesting they do that because I think he is well designed as an early game assassin that scales off late game. But if they were to buff his late game numbers, the Q-Q combo is most likely the thing they would target as compensation.

White River

11-08-2012

Bonetooth necklace is worthless now. The one thing that made it kind of passable was the 10 extra AD. It was a nice, cheap way to get a bit of AD early on if you were struggling. The stacking bonuses are terrible unless you can get it to 14 extremely quickly. Now, without the AD, it's just a lackluster item that wastes 800 gold. You could put that gold towards a Phage, which gives you survivability, attack damage, AND a slow. Or even a Wriggle's. No one in their right mind should buy Bonetooth now.

I think his burst is still acceptable. He really trails off late game, but he still works alright as a good bruiser.

It's the ult cooldown that bothers me. Rengar has no escape skill other than his ult. (And if you say Bola Strike, I will Bola Strike you in the face.) When his ult had a 45 second cooldown at 16, it wasn't a terribly big deal if you had to use it to escape. The downside to that was that you couldn't use it to jump on the carry. Of course, if you used it to jump on the carry, you're still screwed, but if you THOUGHT you might die, you could save it. Now it's actually extremely punishing if you have to use it to escape. His ult isn't even that amazing. The ferocity generation is great, but if the enemy has Oracle's, the element of surprise is completely gone.

If you look at Renekton, when he uses his ult he generates rage quicker, gets a health boost, AND deals damage to enemies around him. Rengar ONLY gets enhanced resource generation if they have Oracle's. That seems wacky to me that they'd give his ult such a long cooldown when it can be so easily countered.

Even if they do have Oracle's, it is useful being able to jump on the enemy carry, but a lot of characters can do that, and they can do that without using their ult and/or only escape skill. Rengar is unique in that regard. I can kind of understand nerfing it's duraton... kind of. I still think that's unnecessary, but I'd rather have that nerfed than the cooldown. The cooldown on his ult is what made me stop playing him. It just ain't worth it.

Fact is, there are better bruisers for pretty much all situations. Bruisers that don't fall off as hard, and have escape skills.

He definitely WAS overpowered, but now he's underpowered. (As per usual..)

I Found Baron

11-08-2012

Champions without mana pools have always been hard for Riot to balance IMO, like renekton etc.

I do believe rengar was over nerfed and that he needs that 10 flat AD back on bonetooth necklas to start.

Soul EatÍr

11-08-2012

Rengar was not nerfed that badly, he is still a strong champion and is considerably viable in ranked at top from what I have seen from top tier players. Riot did a good job in my opinion, they took away his extremely op elements and brought them down to a much more manageable state for opposing players. Yet, Rengar's sustain and burst still remain a force to be reckoned with if used in the right hands. In conclusion this nerf was needed but it was executed well, Rengar is still a viable, fun, and strong champ.