The new Shen and Zed rivaly

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GimmieurHat

11-07-2012

So with the new champ having a serious grudge against my main man Shen I've been trying to come up with some different ways to build him. Mostly because I've seen a bit about Zed and I'm not too sure Shen can go toe to toe with him. Of course this is all variable possibly he won't be a top lane champ, maybe he will jungle with his shadows or be duo bot. Who knows, but in any case I'd just like to see your guys opinions and ideas on builds.

Also I'd like to see if anyone has any luck with how I build Shen lately:

ninja tabi
haunting guise
spirit visage
moonflair spellblade
rylais
void staff

I can explain my reasoning and my playstyle behind this build if you'd like but I don't want to fill the initial message with too much text. Thanks all, and appreciate the feedback.

tl;dr Do you think Shen and go toe to toe with Zed.

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Zed does physical damage, why do you not build any armor if you are trying to counter zed? The build really doesnt make sense on Shen.

Shen can go toe to toe with anyone in the game..

GimmieurHat

11-07-2012

Well it's really more of a general build, but I do it based on the thought process that if I use my ult and fail to save the intended target then it's a waste. Building him this way gives me the ability to do that every time, while at the same time increasing his W, which I've found out can also increase his damage output. Unless I'm mistaken, I read that while active the shield lowers the cooldown of his ki strike. Typically the shield isn't that strong but with the increased ap I can keep it up for almost the full duration giving him more energy and options.

But I really was only asking if anyone could try the build and tell me if it does well pvp, I typically have to play against bots as my comp can't handle more, and just wanted to know if it was helpful...

My real question was if Shen could go toe to toe and if so you think so how would you do it?

funtimeaj

11-07-2012

To me, I build Shen as either a bruiser, or a tank to peel off my carries. If you are looking at a "fighting" shen, keep in mind this is a team game. If you want to strictly beat zed out 1 v 1, consider his moves, and your strengths.

As Shen is naturally tanky, it is hard for Zed's passive to proc. What you need to be able to do is make sure you land your taunt. Because Zed can "blink" to another one of his shadows, it enables him to kite in a way. Otherwise, a Shen with farm can dual most anyone in the game.

Here is my Bruiser Shen build.

Boots upgrade boots to ninja tabi or merc treads respectively (ninja tabi for countering zed)
heart of gold
Sunfire Cape
wits end (for dualing)
Ionic spark (for pushing and team fights)
Trinity Force for damage, or Force of nature for tankiness
Heart of gold - randumins omen.

Every game is situational based on the opponents team comp, but this is the usual Bruiser Shen i build.

FaerellG

11-07-2012

My bruiser shen build (end game) is:
Merc Treads
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impailer
Wit's End
Randuin's Omen
Force of Nature

Some variation for different team comps, but that's the general idea against balanced teams. Rounded resistances, a good chunk of HP, and an Atma's to take advantage of my HP pool (synergizing with my passive and Q).

If I were to itemize to 1v1 a Zed (which I would never bother doing)
I would switch to the following:
Ninja Tabi
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler
Wit's End
Randuin's Omen
Thornmail

This maintains my HP pool, and it switches out much of my MR for Armor, wit's end being the exception. Why keep Wit's End over other MR items?
Because Wit's End is firstly a DPS item. The MR quality takes time to stack up...fortunately, Zed's magic damage doesn't show up until you're at 50%. That's plenty of time for Wit's End to reach full potential. So it's an MR item that's useful immediately and the MR component is stacked up when you need it most.