[Champion concept] Shana - The Noxian Lash

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Newbland

11-07-2012

Introduction:

Shana is a Melee-AD carry, which excels in terms of attack range due to her whip. This deadly duelist concentrates on single target damage but also has the opportunity to deal some nasty AoE damage with her ultimate.

Story:

Shana was raised very militaristic. A tight posture, iron will, high fighting spirit and excellent fighting abilities were the least her father, a former noxian elite soldier, expected from his children. Shana did what she could to make her father proud but when testing her fighting abilities she had to duel one of her older brothers in a fight with wooden swords. Her strong and fierce brothers knew no mercy. Every time they brutally beat Shana with the sword dummies, while her father enjoyed his ionian tea totally unconcerned.

One day her uncle visited and brought his only daughter with him. They watched as Shana was beaten by one of her brothers once again. Although she managed to last longer in fights she still was unable to defeat on of her brothers. Ashamed by the defeat in front of her relatives eyes Shana rushed to her room treating her wounds. After a few minutes it knocked at her door. As Shana opened up she found her cousin standing in the hall holding a large bag. She asked Shana to go for a walk so they could get to know each other better.

Although Shana wasn’t in the mood for a walk at first she agreed, hoping to forget about the duel she just had lost. They didn’t walk far when Shana’s cousin addressed the fight.

„You are fast. Graceful in your movement and very precise but not someone who really wants to get too close to an enemy. In duels with those wooden swords you will never defeat your brothers. I don’t have any brothers but I had to do those little battles with the son of our neighbors. To be honest, I never lasted as long as you did today. So one day I started to look for a different weapon, as I realized that I couldn’t beat him with a sword. My first idea was a crossbow but such weapons are for those without honor. A morning star? Too heavy. A spear? Too slow. Then it came to my mind…“

She stopped and took a whip from her bag.

„…a whip! Whips have a good range, are fast and thanks to their flexibility can’t be blocked by a sword. Sadly a usual whip doesn’t have the potential to take such beasts as your brothers down. In the best case you will just make them very mad. So I asked my lover to help me out a bit. He is a student in Zhaun and uses his spare time to modify my whips. He started with simple things like stuffing the handle with lead and ended up with experiments like they may only be allowed in Zhaun. The result is a beautiful collection of very deadly whips. This here is one of his first creations. Just hard hits with the handle can be deadly but it still can cut slightly into the flesh if handled correctly. I always have carried it with me if I feel like practicing a little. Learn how to use her and I’m sure you will be able to defeat all of your brothers soon.

Although Shana was not convinced by a whip as weapon she accepted the offer. Maybe it was just desperation or actually her iron will and fighting spirit that motivated her to practice with the whip in every free minute but still using the wooden sword in the duels she kept losing. Almost four years had passed, when her cousin came to visit again, eager to see Shana in a duel. According to the request of his niece Shana’s father choose her oldest and strongest brother for this duel. As Shana was about to take her sword dummy from the weapon rack the only found her whip hanging at it. With a glimpse over her shoulder she could see her cousin sitting on the table with the rest of her family holding the sword in her hands. After taking a deep breath Shana took her whip and faced her brother. With an expression mixed of confusion and a cynical grin he was looking over to their father pointing at Shana with a pejorative gesture. Their father ignored that and opened the fight.

Shana’s brother lifted his sword into the air, shouted out a remarkable battle cry and charged at his sister. Knowing that her brother was already within the range of her whip Shana attacked with a series of three quick lashes. The first one knocked the sword out of her brothers hand, the second one slicing his legs, stopping him in his tracks. With the third one she wrapped her whip around his throat letting his battle cry die away. She then pulled him to her and smashed the lead filled handle on his head knocking him out.

„That is my daughter!“ screamed her father full of pride giving her standing ovations. This was Shana’s happiest moment, yet. After her first victory was celebrated it was time for her cousin to return home. She also wanted her whip back as it was her favorite. Disappointed but grateful Shana returned the whip to her cousin. On the way to her bedroom Shana wondered where she could find her own battle whip. Her thoughts became irrelevant when she found another whip along with a note on her bed.

"My dear cousin,
I’m so proud of you. Thank you for putting trust into my words. This is the master piece of my fiance, yes we are going to marry. It is the most deadliest whip I have ever seen but I couldn’t master it. You however, you are talented enough to master this whip and become one of the greatest warriors of all Noxus. Maybe even greater than Katarina Du Couteau.
Yours

L.”

Greater than Katarina Du Couteau? There was just on place to figure out if she could become such a great warrior.

“The choice of your weapon can even the odds.” - Shana

Attributes:

Carry
Melee

Overview:

Life: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| (12/30)
Damage: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| (25/30)
Magic: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| (6/30)
Difficulty: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| (15/30)

Statistics:

Health 415 (+90)
Health regen. 6.8 (+0.8)
Mana 230 (+40)
Mana regen. 7.3(+0.5)
Range 425
Attack Damage 55 (+3.3)
Attack Speed 0.691 (+3%)
Armor 15.5 (+3.5)
Magic Resist 30 (+1.25)
Movement Speed 340

Skills

Info:

AD ratios are always based on bonus AD
AP ratios are always based on total AP

Basic attack

Normal lashing with her whip that turns into a fluent animation when attack speed increases.

Example :

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/ch.../whipwhip2.gif

Mighty Crack (passive):

Whenever Shana lands a critical hit she fears the target and all units in distance of 300 units around the target for 0.5 seconds. Enemy champions and large creeps can only be feared by this effect every 7 seconds.

Q – Mambas strike:

Instant activation
Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 Mana
Cooldown: 9/8/7/6/5 Seconds
Range: 400+350 Units (see description for additional info)

When between 750 & 350 units away from her target, Shana will perform a flip towards the target to get into a range of 350 units and will strike the target with her whip out of the flip animation. Is she less than 350 units away from her target she'll perform a backflip away from the target and up to a distance of 30 units and strikes the target with her whip out of the flip animation. The whip strike deals 60/100/140/180/220(+1.2AD) physical damage.

Additional Info:

-The range indicator will focus on the maximal range of 750 units.
-While hovering with the cursor over the target, the direction and range of the flip will be shown.
-The flip can go over terrain, if the range allows it.
-While performing a fron flip the whip strike is done from above, while the whipstrike is done from below during a backflip.

W - Leaden Handle

Costs: 80 Mana
Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10 Seconds
Range: 350 Units
Target type: Cone

Shana swings her whip with the leaden handle first in a cone in front of her. All enemies struck receive 40/65/90/115/140 (+1.1AD) pysical damage and will be trown back by 150 units.

E - Noxian chain

Costs: 80 Mana
Cooldown: 15/14/13/12/11 Seconds
Range: 360 Units
Target type: Linear skillshot

Shana lashes her whip in a straight line and surpresses the first enemy hit for 1.25 seconds. Within the time of surpression her Q & W skills change and one of them can be used at no cost.

E->Q - No escape

Pulls the surpressed enemy up to 200 units in her direction and reduces the targets movement speed by 20/25/25/30/30% for 2/2/2.5/2.5/3 seconds.

E->W - No mercy

Forcefully tightens the whip lying around the enemy. The enmy is dealt 50/80/110/140/170(+1.4AD) physical damage and is silenced for 1.5 seconds

R – Magical Whip:

Cost: 150/200/250 Mana
Cooldown: 140/120/100 Seconds
For 10 seconds Shanas attack range is doubled and she has access to new abilities. Each of her new abilities can only be used once per activation of “Magical Whip”.
The new skills use infusions instead of mana. Shana receives one infusion per level of this Skill (1/2/3). Every skill costs one infusion.

Q: Infernal Whip: Shana smashes her ignited whip, in form of a skillshot, on the ground gaining an additional 50% range and dealing 100/180/260(+1.4AD) physical damage to all targets she hits.

W: Shock Whip: Shana charges her whip with electricity and stuns her target for 2 seconds dealing 110/160/220(+1AP) magical damage. (Direct click)

E: Barbed Whip: Shana lets thorns grow out of her whip, swinging it in a cone dealing 75/125/175(+1.2AD) physical damage to enemies who start to bleed and take additional magic damage equal to 150% of the actual damage over 3 seconds

R: Frozen Whip: Shana chills her whip and deals 140/190/240(+1AP) magical damage to her target, slowing it by 66% for 4 seconds. (Direct click)

Playable roles:

Shana can be played as AD carry. She may be a melee but her skill set and her attack range of 425 units make her viable on bottom lane. She beats the usual AD carries slightly in terms of basic health, movement speed and attack damage. Although she can't poke as good as other AD carries she is more effective in small skirmishes and can last hit from a fairly save distance.

Shana can also be played on solo top when runes, masteries and items are adjusted correctly. Depending on the opposing top champion some extra armor or magic resist via masteries and runes are very important. The high attack range comes in handy again while the basic stats won't usually be on your side here. Freezing the lane close to your tower is a good solution for solo top. You shall be able to farm very well and give your jungler good opportunities for ganks

For ganks especially "No Escape" and later on "Frozen Whip" as well as "Shock Whip" will come in really handy.

Shana may be able to jungle but will usually have a hard time doing so. She can defiantly counter jungle several champions but is also very vulnerable to counter jungling herself. Without her ultimate she won't have the best ganks, so while a good hit with "No Escape" can be very efficient she has not much more to initiate a gank without her ultimate that is.

Shana may also be a surprisingly good pick against some mid champions due to her pull, silence and DPS but should rather leave the lane to an AP champion.

Shana makes an actual horrible support overall but you can try.

Summoner Spells:

Clarity:

You usually don't spam your skills that much so there should be no need for clarity as it is actually a waste.

Revive:

Actually pretty useless, except you can play her so good, that you almost never die and therefor will have it always ready when you go down eventually. Overall not a good choice.

Ghost:

As Shana has no abilities that help her escape, Ghost is a good choice to get away from scary situations and also can be used to catch up to a fleeing enemy. A good decision especially when you go solo top.

Exhaust:

Very good for one on one duels on solo top, it also helps when getting tower dived.

Heal

Can come in handy when you play Shana as AD carry.

Smite:

Shana isn't a good jungler so smite is not a good option.

Cleanse:

A classic and actual underrated spell. It isn't the best choice but can be helpful against teams with a lot of CC and if you need a counter to exhaust and ignite.

Ignite:

Good to secure kills and can be used on solo top or AD bot.

Teleport:

Very useful when you play solo top and go against an enemy with a very good sustain and for port ganks. If you don't mind walking up to your lane and only want to gank mid now and then you won't need teleport.

Barrier:

It is always nice to have a shield but as AD carry you don't want to tank damage, it however can be an acceptable option on solo top or if you want to counter ults like the ones of Darius, Caitlyn or Karthus.

Clairvoyance:

Not a summoner spell you should take. Better let your support pick it in case you need it for map control or to help you aiming your skillshots into the fog of war.

Flash:

A very good choice for the same reasons as Ghost. It is the most used summoner spell for reason.

Recommended Items (Endgame):

Summoners Rift:

-Berserker's Greaves
-The Black Cleaver
-Bloodthirster
-Last Whisper
-Wit’s End
-Guardian Angel

Dominion:

-Berserker's Greaves
-The Black Cleaver
-Sanguine Blade
-Entropy
-The Lightbringer
-Guardian Angel

Twisted Treeline:

-Berserker's Greaves
-The Black Cleaver
-Sanguine Blade
-Last Whisper
-Blade Of The Ruined King
-Guardian Angel

Hints:

Play as Shana:

Combo Cracks proc on-hit effects three times in a very short time.
Shock- and Frozen Whip can be used offensive and defensive.
Remember that you can’t use your normal skills as long as Magical Whip is active.

Play against Shana:

When you want to 1v1 Shana remember, that it can become very hard to escape her if you have to.
No Escape can be noticed on a striking swish.
When Shana wields her whip over her head, her next basic attack will trigger Mighty Crack.

Appearance:

Her classic skin should be quite similar to Whip from King of Fighters but fit into the regular noxian style. A first alternate skin idea will follow soon.

Attachment 554600

Her first alternate skin is called "Ionian Shana" and would be close to Zhen Ji from Dynasty Warriors 6.

Attachment 564119

Her second alternate skin would be "Crimson Elite Shana".The outfit on this picture is quite lose to what it should be like.

Attachment 564120

Found a nice picture including Shana about to use "Infernal Whip" while looking for an example for Crimson Elite Shana", so I just took it and called it the "Wasteland Shana" skin.

Attachment 564121

Voice:

Her voice should be quite similar to Katarina, except of having a higher pitch and overall friendlier sound..

Selection:

- I will whip the flesh from their bones.

Movement:

- Prepare my way.
- The elite!
- All might for Noxus!
- I have trained long enough.
- Elegant and imposing.
- Mercy? No one taught me such a thing.
- My name will become a legend.
- They can't imagine what awaits them.
- They all underestimate my whip.
- Glory for Noxus.

Attack:

- Feel the pain!
- Go down already!
- Just surrender.
- Pathetic!
- Feel my whip!
- Bleed!

On activation of "Magical Whip":

- Enough!
- Fools!
- Kneel!

20% chance when hitting an enemy champion with "No escape":

- Get over here! (Little Easter egg based on Scorpion from Mortal Kombat :P)

Joke:

Uses her whip as skipping rope:

- Weapons? What weapons?
- The is the League of Skipping, isn't it?

Taunt:

Cracks her whip and makes a denying gesture with her hand.

- tsktsk Not so fast pal.
- Don't even try.

Dance:

Thought a lot about it and ended up going for a little choreography. Tried to find an example and this is the closest I could find. Of course it has to be modified for the game but you should get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6tK6vjWbM

Epiloge:

Several updates will follow soon. If you have any questions and/or suggestions feel free to comment. Thanks and Cheers

Newbland

11-20-2012

Update log:

11/20/2012

Added voice sequence and emotes.

11/21/2012

Basic movment speed adjusted according to the upcoming patch.

Removed the delay on "No escape"

Adjusted basic HP

Added possible lanes/roles to play with Shana

Added info regarding summoner spells.

01/08/2013

Passive reworked

Added new function when using a basic attack whit a caught creep.

Myrthrei

11-20-2012

Bump!
Awesome idea
Being a noxian lover,i am,frankly,in LOVE with this character
The lore is a good foundation too,and her ablitites fit the model
Her ult is also nice and unique,though i feel it will be underpowered until max level

Newbland

11-21-2012

So I read into the huge "how to thread" there seems to be still a lot work to be done.

Osprii

11-21-2012

Whip champions are getting popular on this forum. I don't mean to sound full of myself, but I think I at least helped to start it with my concept, Nathaniel, who can use a whip, among 3 other weapons. Right after Nathaniel I found this champion called Lathaniel who used only a whip, which I reviewed, then I saw a few other concepts with whips.
This one, however, is one of the best developed whip concepts I've seen. Hopefully Riot will take notice of the mid-range whip champions proliferating the forums and model a future champ after that.

Anyway, I'm posting here to review your concept, not to ramble on about whips.

Innate: This seems pretty solid. I like the innates that buff a hit every so many basic attacks. However, a 20% slow for 1.5 seconds is pretty small, and a 200 unit range is very small, too. I think you have room to buff it slightly, any one of those numbers up there, or a combination. Master Yi's passive does double damage every 7 hits, and he stacks attack speed. I think double damage is quite a bit more powerful that a 20% slow for 1.5 seconds.

Q: This is like Shyvana's double bite thing, except a bit more powerful. However, I think this balances it out because Shyvana's basic attacks reduce its cooldown, so she can do it more often. Seems solid to me.

W: First, I like the idea of grabbing a minion and using it to poke or buff your next basic attack. However, I think you should increase the bonus damage the minion gives your next basic attack so it feels more useful. With only a slight damage increase, people may never use that aspect of the ability.
Also, could you put some ranges down there? This is an instant grab, no skill shot, so if it's range is too high, it could be OP. Definitely OP. Also, I think you should change the damage ratios and base. If it scales off of AD, the base should be lower and the ratio is generally 1.0 or higher. If its bonus AD, then the base could be just as high as on an AP stacking skill. AD ratios, even bonus AD ratios, are generally 1.0 or higher, because AP is so much cheaper than AD. An AD ratio of 1.0 is about equal to a .6 or so on AP.

E: You can make the silence scale every level, if it goes 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds. I think that is pretty standard scaling for crowd control. Cho'gath's silence actually is 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3 seconds, because silences aren't "hard" crowd control. Also, again with the base damage and scaling ratios. I do like the concept of a close range silence that deals lots of damage though. The amount of damage isn't the problem, just how it scales. People will be inclined to build pure tanky instead of offense with crappy scaling, and I assume that isn't how you wanted her to be built by looking at the recommended items.

R: Wow, I really like this idea of four different, but similar ults in one. Anyway, I think that you can buff the base damage and ratios, assuming that they are bonus AD, since it's an ultimate. The crowd control seems well balanced, but the damage over time one could be buffed, also. DoT spells need to do much more damage than instant hits, depending on how long they deal the damage over.

Overall, solid concept. I'm also impressed by how much work you put into the champion. The lore is good, the build suggestion and guide is very useful to judge how you want your champion built, and the Voice section puts more character into your champion. Definitely a thumbs up.

Newbland

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprii View Post
Whip champions are getting popular on this forum. I don't mean to sound full of myself, but I think I at least helped to start it with my concept, Nathaniel, who can use a whip, among 3 other weapons. Right after Nathaniel I found this champion called Lathaniel who used only a whip, which I reviewed, then I saw a few other concepts with whips.
This one, however, is one of the best developed whip concepts I've seen. Hopefully Riot will take notice of the mid-range whip champions proliferating the forums and model a future champ after that.

Anyway, I'm posting here to review your concept, not to ramble on about whips.

Innate: This seems pretty solid. I like the innates that buff a hit every so many basic attacks. However, a 20% slow for 1.5 seconds is pretty small, and a 200 unit range is very small, too. I think you have room to buff it slightly, any one of those numbers up there, or a combination. Master Yi's passive does double damage every 7 hits, and he stacks attack speed. I think double damage is quite a bit more powerful that a 20% slow for 1.5 seconds.

Q: This is like Shyvana's double bite thing, except a bit more powerful. However, I think this balances it out because Shyvana's basic attacks reduce its cooldown, so she can do it more often. Seems solid to me.

W: First, I like the idea of grabbing a minion and using it to poke or buff your next basic attack. However, I think you should increase the bonus damage the minion gives your next basic attack so it feels more useful. With only a slight damage increase, people may never use that aspect of the ability.
Also, could you put some ranges down there? This is an instant grab, no skill shot, so if it's range is too high, it could be OP. Definitely OP. Also, I think you should change the damage ratios and base. If it scales off of AD, the base should be lower and the ratio is generally 1.0 or higher. If its bonus AD, then the base could be just as high as on an AP stacking skill. AD ratios, even bonus AD ratios, are generally 1.0 or higher, because AP is so much cheaper than AD. An AD ratio of 1.0 is about equal to a .6 or so on AP.

E: You can make the silence scale every level, if it goes 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds. I think that is pretty standard scaling for crowd control. Cho'gath's silence actually is 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3 seconds, because silences aren't "hard" crowd control. Also, again with the base damage and scaling ratios. I do like the concept of a close range silence that deals lots of damage though. The amount of damage isn't the problem, just how it scales. People will be inclined to build pure tanky instead of offense with crappy scaling, and I assume that isn't how you wanted her to be built by looking at the recommended items.

R: Wow, I really like this idea of four different, but similar ults in one. Anyway, I think that you can buff the base damage and ratios, assuming that they are bonus AD, since it's an ultimate. The crowd control seems well balanced, but the damage over time one could be buffed, also. DoT spells need to do much more damage than instant hits, depending on how long they deal the damage over.

Overall, solid concept. I'm also impressed by how much work you put into the champion. The lore is good, the build suggestion and guide is very useful to judge how you want your champion built, and the Voice section puts more character into your champion. Definitely a thumbs up.
Hi Osprii,

thank you for your reply. I actually started this concept on the EUW forum but as reviews are rare I expanded to NA. I haven't read many concepts of this forum yet but i'm working on it.

A small list of the buffs:

Innate:

Slow buffed from 20% to 25%
Duration buffed from 1.5 seconds to 2 seconds
AoE range increased from 200 to 300 units
Added info that the center of the AoE is the target

W-Spell:

Added range info = 450 units
Buffed AD ratio from 0.4 to 1.2
Buffed on hit effect to 10/20/30/40/50
Added info that a caught creep also takes the damage when used to buff a basic attack.

E-Spell:

Silence increases every level as suggested; 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds
Buffed AD-ratio from 0.75 to 1.2

Ultimate:

Q: Buffed AD ratio buffed from 0.75 to 1.4

W: Buffed base damage from 100/150/200 to 110/160/220

E: AD ratio buffed from 0.5 to 1.2 and bonus magical overtime damage increased from 50% to 150% of the instant damage

R: Buffed base damage from 100/160/220 to 140/190/240

Additional info:

AD ratios are always based on bonus AD
AP ratios are always based on total AP

Newbland

11-25-2012

Skins everyone loves skins.

Was about to add 2 alternate skins and ended up with 3 as I found a quite nice picture while searching for examples.

Enjoy and some more feedback would be nice. Thanks.

SkitZ HitZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2012

Tho i do love this champ but being a melee champ holding a whip i dunno. It should br some range or champs like garen will dominate her in lane. She will also lack with the attack animation as well to not be at atleast a small range. Maybe think of her bring like jayce or shyvana in abillitys. I just think yeah op to a degree but will be destroyed against silences and stuns for top brusers

Newbland

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ HitZ View Post
Tho i do love this champ but being a melee champ holding a whip i dunno. It should br some range or champs like garen will dominate her in lane. She will also lack with the attack animation as well to not be at atleast a small range. Maybe think of her bring like jayce or shyvana in abillitys. I just think yeah op to a degree but will be destroyed against silences and stuns for top brusers
So I just buffed the attack range from325 to 425 what would be the same range as Urgot has. I probably nerf it again to something like 375. Overall she will have a clear range advantage compared other melee characters.

However the attack animation can really become difficult when enemies ae getting to close. Well, a lot of work for the animation team.

Newbland

12-01-2012

Bump?

Attachment 567242

I can do that too.