Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RapZero

11-07-2012

I fear items that give champions CC

Chaosos

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Wall of text about armor pen
Is this affecting magic pen also for calculation order?

Dreampod

11-07-2012

Quote:
Yes and No. Armor stacking was terrible against penetration - but Armor Penetration never worked on abilities in Pre-Season 1.

So a change was made for the purposes of balancing AD carry damage output - which you know was actually more affected by things like Green Elixir and the craziness of Last Whisper than any actual systems change.

Armor reduction applies for your team.

The point of BC here is to be a smooth transition from lane dominance (Brutalizer) into mid/late game effectiveness (25% armor reduction.)

So, if you're a tanky AD Caster, like Renekton or Garen, you'll be shredding the armor of the enemy team. While if you're a selfish AD Caster like Pantheon or Talon, you might consider Brutalizer into Last Whisper.
How much should we expect to see the base values for flat and percent penetration fall to make up for the fact that they are both more powerful when stacked?

Dreampod

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosos View Post
Is this affecting magic pen also for calculation order?
Yes, they are changing the calculation order for all penetrations.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
4 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Will these changes also effect flat pen vs % pen magic damage?
Yes.

Quote:
Won't this item be something ADs, such as corkie would want to get now when dealing with high armored targets?
Yes and no, in a lot of ways.

Corki, in particular, has interesting interactions with this new BC due to Gattling Gun being silly with it - but for many carries, Last Whisper still provides superior penetration %.

Quote:
im really starting to hate these small little teasers....stop trying to build up hype riot.....shame on you....shame on thy
The main goal is to explain everything that we can so that when the tide hits, you guys have a good grounding of what is to come.

Sure, we want people to be excited - but for me personally, I'm more worried about people not understanding all the changes and thus these previews help to get people geared up to understand the scale of the changes we'll make.

Crimius

11-07-2012

A few questions:

AD Caster type items. With the release of champions like Talon, can we expect some more items geared more towards AD/CD reduction/survivability?

Item Active abilities. These are severely under-utilized at lower play, but incredible at higher levels. Along with the DFG rework, what sort of options have you considered for rebalancing actives, or for keeping new actives in check?

Off topic, but important:

Adobe Air. It needs to go. Is anyone working on an alternative platform at Riot? At all? I understand it hasn't been a priority, but with League of Legends as popular as it is, I don't see a better time to move to a new client platform than right after a season finishes.

Summoner Spells. New spells came with Season 2, should we expect some new ones with Season 3? What about Masteries?

New maps. With the remake of TT, and the availability of Proving Grounds, should we expect to see Riot pushing more varieties of competitive play, other than Summoner's Rift? Perhaps a Dominion League, or 3-man League?

EDIT: Xyph ninja'd me while I was distracted by work things. Curses.

Pyrotyp

11-07-2012

Quote:
Last Thoughts

We hope that this change helps create a smoother scaling curve for many of our AD casters without causing them to utterly dominate and kill everyone. While these changes allow them to ignore armor much more effectively, the characters in question will be making heavy tradeoffs by simply not dealing as much raw damage as they could have with a B.F. Sword build against soft targets. Additionally, these iterations of The Brutalizer and The Black Cleaver allow our more spell-focused ranged carries like Corki or Graves to have a viable alternative to Last Whisper that will give them great utility if they find themselves on a team with lot of physical damage characters.

-Xypherous
I am curious if hitting multiple bullets of graves buckshot would trigger The Black Cleaver multiple times. It seems like it should based on the other abilities described, but those are all DoT effects and this damage is calculated all at once.

Thanks

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

I'm guessing armor pen reds/quints would be weakened with this new system as well?

StrmCkr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

2nd post to get a response

Quote:
Today Iím going to talk about Armor Penetration and its effects... ---Xypherous
so with the armour pen calculations what order are they exactly in so i can update my spreed sheets for calculations currently the game is done in this order

Quote:
% reduction
flat reduction
flat pen
% pen
if i read the above correctly the new order is

Quote:
% reduction
flat reduction
% pen
flat pen
is this correct???

MarineRevenge

11-07-2012

Xypherous PLEASE GIVE US DETAILS ON THE MELEE AD CARRY ITEMS <3

Specifially will you make ghostblade strong so that it fits into more endgame builds for melee ad carries?

We need more items that are BETTER FOR MELEE's and WEAKER FOR RANGED such as ghostblade to give melee AD carries the strength they need without letting their ranged counterparts get out of hand.