Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jancarius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

What can we expect for Autoattack champions like Trynd, Fiora, Yi, etc? Right now, I feel they get the worst of all worlds: Armor is built more than MR, so they get armor tanked, they are affected by AS slows dramatically (which are common), and they are all subject to zoning and harass from champions with ranged abilities even if not melee (Olaf harass with Q, trade with E; Teemo blind doesn't affect caster AD like Darius and Olaf, shuts down completely auto attack AD)

Sophitia

11-07-2012

Will these changes also effect flat pen vs % pen magic damage?

Dantone

11-07-2012

Thanks for the awesome post! One question/idea I did have was related to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Breadth and Depth

One of the most important things we tried to accomplish during the preseason was to ensure that your mid game items didnít pigeonhole you into certain choices later in the game. Weíve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you donít run into dead-ends as the game progresses. If you build Wardenís Mail in the mid game, you shouldnít feel compelled to buy Randuinís Omen every game. We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on.
I really like this idea because sometimes I like having an item that builds into something else, but I don't want to build it into that something else. However, sometimes I have a beginner or mid-game item that I don't want at all later on, and so I really have to question whether or not the benefit of having it now is worth the cost.

I think one possible solution would be to have items increase in value the longer you hold onto them. Not substantially, and never over their actual value, but this would make people less uneasy about buying items that aren't stepping stones into their final build, which I think would increase variety in itemization overall. Maybe even drop the initial sell-back (after leaving shop so that you don't punish misclicks so harshly) and then have it increase over time until it reaches 3/4 or so of the initial value.

Maybe part of the game is evaluating and taking risks in build choices to make your mid game stronger in the hopes that it pays off enough to help you afford your late game items. If so, then I guess my idea isn't really valid. But I still think it would be a good way to promote mid-game variety.

PhoenixSlayer13

11-07-2012

Quote:
2. Brutalizer builds into more than one thing

Letís dig down into this item a little more. First off, the Black Cleaver now triggers off all physical damage. This means that spells and abilities can trigger the passive. In fact, letís look at a couple of our AD casters and see how this item works differently on them:
YES! Oh man, this is gonna be awesome for Kha'Zix.

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Wow that post makes me fear for Rammus. Hopefully it is balanced such that tanks cant be burst down without being significantly behind in gold/stats.

Sodabread

11-07-2012

It'd be nice if GA was balanced to provide an equal contribution to MR and AR. If the cloth armor and mantle were swapped for a negatron, you'd have the same pricing with a better balanced defense.

Icy Prinny

11-07-2012

Quote:
Yes and No. Armor stacking was terrible against penetration - but Armor Penetration never worked on abilities in Pre-Season 1.

So a change was made for the purposes of balancing AD carry damage output - which you know was actually more affected by things like Green Elixir and the craziness of Last Whisper than any actual systems change.
Won't this item be something ADs, such as corkie would want to get now when dealing with high armored targets?

GenerousTuna

11-07-2012

im really starting to hate these small little teasers....stop trying to build up hype riot.....shame on you....shame on thy

Luckybed

11-07-2012

Oh god.........the interactions are beautiful--albeit expected--but beautiful.

zergman

11-07-2012

I'm curious specifically if you tried to address build options for non mana users. One of the things I think is great about League is your efforts to create non mana using champions. The problem I run into is many AP items are built from base items that give bonus mana or mana regen.

For example Morello's Evil Tome is a great item because it gives me AP and Cooldown Reduction, but when building for someone such as Katarina I don't get any benefit from the Meki Pendant. Sure I can buy the other items used to build Morello's first and save the Meki for last, but it just feels restrictive and some times I find myself buying an item that for the moment gives me no additional benefit.

Thanks for all you do. I'm excited about all the ideas you guys are working on. I appreciate you guys wanting to make changes and not just stay happy with what you have. Heaven knows you could spend all your time trying to make skins and things that make money instead of improving the feel of the game.