Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blitzrieg kaiser

11-07-2012

Nice, im really hping to see the changes for jungle :3

Xurreal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Will there be more viable hybridized build options available for champions who have a mix of source ratios?

For instance, the only way the average Ashe will gain any benefit from her ratios on her ultimate is if either there were a Will of the Ancients aura on the team or if she were using the throwback Doran's Ring.

Ginsoo's Rageblade is indeed a nice item, however it itself does not offer as much to any other champion including ashe that could help her make use of the ratios, as there are always better recipes out there to make.

mayipora

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Today Iím going to talk about Armor Penetration and its effects on the scaling of our Attack Damage Casters class.

Letís take a look at one of the core items for this class Ė The Brutalizer:

The Brutalizer has long been the trifecta of Attack Damage, Armor Penetration and Cooldown Reduction that these characters lean on for early game dominance. However, Flat Armor Penetration as a statistic overall has been pretty overpowered in compensation for the fact that items with the stat donít typically scale at all into the late game. This turns these characters into early-game gambit characters, out to dominate the early game as quickly as possible before they become irrelevant.

To adjust for this, weíre making two major changes:

1. Flat Armor Penetration and % Armor Penetration values are generally being lowered, but now Flat Penetration is calculated AFTER % Penetration

For example: Letís say I have 50% Armor Penetration and 20 Flat Armor Penetration versus a target with 120 Armor.

Currently, on Live, I would ignore 20 of his armor via Flat Penetration (100) and then 50% of the remainder, leaving him with 50 Armor.

After this change, I would ignore 50% of his armor (60) and then 20 of the remainder, leaving him with 40 armor.

In this manner, we can make sure that penetration values can be cost-effective for both late game and early game because now you have an option to synergize the two statistics together if you need to pierce large amounts of armor.

2. Brutalizer builds into more than one thing

Letís dig down into this item a little more. First off, the Black Cleaver now triggers off all physical damage. This means that spells and abilities can trigger the passive. In fact, letís look at a couple of our AD casters and see how this item works differently on them:

[aws2=news/Champ_Splashes/Pantheon_Splash.jpg]news/Champ_Splashes/Pantheon_Splash_thumb.jpg[/aws2]

Pantheon, the Artisan of War

Spear Shot: Will trigger Black Cleaver once on a single target.
Aegis of Zeonia: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magic damage.
Heartseeker Strike: Will trigger Black Cleaver three times in a cone, as it does physical damage to the target three times.
Grand Skyfall: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magic damage.

[aws2=news/Champ_Splashes/Garen_Splash.jpg]news/Champ_Splashes/Garen_Splash_thumb.jpg[/aws2]

Garen, the Might of Demacia

Decisive Strike: Will trigger Black Cleaver once, on a single target.
Courage: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does no damage.
Judgment: Will trigger Black Cleaver up to 6 times, in a circle around him, as it does physical damage 6 times.
Demacian Justice: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magical damage.

So now, AD casters attempting to deal with highly armored opponents have a way to partially nullify the armor of targets they choose to fully commit to with all of their skills. However, they make a trade-off here; while Black Cleaver is highly effective at negating the effect of enemy armor, the Cleaver itself does not provide all that much Attack Damage as a whole. So your skills will be slightly less effective on targets with high health and low armor, simply because theyíll be doing less overall damage. Black Cleaver is incredibly effective at shredding targets with lots of armor, but doesnít really do well trying to kill a mage with Rod of Ages, for example.

What about Last Whisper? How does this work with Last Whisper?

Last Whisper grants you % Armor Penetration while Black Cleaver reduces the opponentís armor.

Letís look at an enemy with 400 Armor. Black Cleaver will reduce their armor by 25%, leaving them with 300. Last Whisper will allow you to ignore 40% of the remaining 300 armor, which means their effective armor against you will now be 180.

Last Thoughts

We hope that this change helps create a smoother scaling curve for many of our AD casters without causing them to utterly dominate and kill everyone. While these changes allow them to ignore armor much more effectively, the characters in question will be making heavy tradeoffs by simply not dealing as much raw damage as they could have with a B.F. Sword build against soft targets. Additionally, these iterations of The Brutalizer and The Black Cleaver allow our more spell-focused ranged carries like Corki or Graves to have a viable alternative to Last Whisper that will give them great utility if they find themselves on a team with lot of physical damage characters.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

-Xypherous
yay details

Xandure

11-07-2012

I believe it was Morello (or another Red) that dropped a hint as to some Manamune changes, and possibly upgrade? Is it going to receive the Hexdrinker/Maw of Malamortius makeover, or something different?

StrmCkr

11-07-2012

Quote:
Today I’m going to talk about Armor Penetration and its effects... ---Xypherous
so with the armour pen calculations what order are they exactly in so i can update my spreed sheets for calculations currently the game is done in this order

Quote:
% reduction
flat reduction
flat pen
% pen
if i read the above correctly the new order is
Quote:
% reduction
flat reduction
% pen
flat pen
is this correct???

Tenmar

11-07-2012

I do not essentially approve. I like the concept as it gives AD casters a VERY specific role to the team. But in terms of the numbers I greatly disapprove. First the damage, AD casters and assassins LIVE and DIE by their AD scaling. If you don't give enough it doesn't matter how good the math behind the mechanics are they won't be able to make an impact to the match as an individual during the early game.

As for the Penetration, the numbers are too low. Only 10 AR pen? That is a joke. And no gains from upgrading to black cleaver either. Realize that even with your mathematical changes you have to consider the fact that AR hyper-scales a lot more than MR due to the fact that every champ gets AR/LVL as a base stat. The core problem is that AD casters and Assassins are already fighting an uphill battle. Even a mage that is smart can buy a cloth armor and hard counter an AD assassin mid early game. Reducing the AR pen on items even more is just going to make optimizing flat AD runes/quints mathematically superior compared to utilizing Crit, or AR pen marks/quints.

Voodoo Jelly

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multon View Post
Will we see any new jungler items such as madred's razors?
Mentioned by Morello in the umbrella news post made first regarding changes to the game, yes, there will be.

Triboon

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXredkaizZ View Post
Hi there everyone!,
I think Riot is doing a really good work with LoL, i think this is just awesome.
I also think that getting champions is quite a bit difficult for new players, like 6300 or 4800 IP champions.They could so something to get some balance.
Please give your oppinions about this.

xXredkaizZ
The reason they do this is so you can't like insta-buy all the champions. People will then want to get RP to get champions. RP is how they keep this game free and not a monthly fee. If they had all champions have low IP cost then they could have some money issues.

Shadou

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zynonick View Post
I kind of want want custom recommended items. Like you could change a certain champions recommended items, and make them personal.
^ I always loved this idea, or at least rework the recommended items for many champs since a lot of champs have rec items that don't work with them.

But other then that mind I ask as I main support, I'd love to know what items you are implementing/reworking for the support role? I heard that wards are being look into for saving gold how so? I'd love to know since me and many others who enjoys support always sinks gold into wards especially after the laning phase.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
3 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
So we're going back to pre-Season-1 mode? I thought it was removed because it made armor stacking terrible against penetration stacking?
Yes and No. Armor stacking was terrible against penetration - but Armor Penetration never worked on abilities in Pre-Season 1.

So a change was made for the purposes of balancing AD carry damage output - which you know was actually more affected by things like Green Elixir and the craziness of Last Whisper than any actual systems change.

Quote:
Will new black cleaver still reduce armor for allies, or is it a selfish passive, like last whisper?
Armor reduction applies for your team.

The point of BC here is to be a smooth transition from lane dominance (Brutalizer) into mid/late game effectiveness (25% armor reduction.)

So, if you're a tanky AD Caster, like Renekton or Garen, you'll be shredding the armor of the enemy team. While if you're a selfish AD Caster like Pantheon or Talon, you might consider Brutalizer into Last Whisper.

Quote:
What about someone like kayle who gets the ranged splash? The attack itself is physical but splash is magical? Correct? What about the interaction with her passive and this thing? Would it be multiplicative or addative?
Kayle's splash is indeed magical, so Kayle does not AE shred.

Kayle's passive stacks multiplicatively with this item. All % reductions scale multiplicatively. If they don't, that's probably a bug we need to fix. XD