Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mithraigx

11-07-2012

so basically

champs who use majorly AD skills - Darius, Renekton(without ult), Zed(upcoming), Hecarim(Q spamming), Talon

will have black cleaver as something like mandatory item.....?

fryguyfern

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

I enjoy the changes I've been hearing so far, obviously youre taking a lot of risks changing the game so much, and thats what leads to progress. I understand this, and also am very excited with how you all are determined to improve this game.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, do you think that you're going to make brutalizer a must have for top lanes? The early/mid game usefulnes as well as it's versatility and possible late game usefulnes make it almost necesarry for a lot of common top laners. I know more information hasn't been released than has, and that comes to my next question: will the changes in top lane and top lane champs make the brutalizer a less likely choice, or will we be seeing 1337 on a lot more people now?

Thunder Manatee

11-07-2012

Color me intrigued Xypherous, but let me see if I have this right.

AD who wish for the highest possible damage will build Last Whisper, but the trade-off is that only they benefit, and this is best for an AD on a team with little high damage AD besides themselves, and if he who holds the LW dies, there goes a lot of A-Pen.

Black Cleaver, on the other hand, is more geared to be a team item, because if you can rely on other high DPS AD's to be in fights with the guy holding Black Cleaver, that has the potential to make the damage across the board that much greater, and even if he who holds the BC dies, the other AD's on the team can enjoy the armor shred for a bit of time afterwards.

Have I got it?

BlueGunner

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Probably - but if your character has linear scaling and 100% physical damage - that's just going to be what happens. That's my own fault as Riven's designer that she gets hard-countered by armor.

Morello has to talk about very high-level of what is good for the game as a whole. Individual designs don't contradict that, it just means that the individual designs are flawed in that regard.

This seems like less of a problem than it is made out to be. Team balance would take care of this, it would seem. If the other team is being defensively reactive and building excess armor in Riven's lane, you can move a magic-damage teammate into the lane to counter. It seems like it makes the game more strategic, not less, if there are hard counters in the game.

Honestly, I don't want to see a meta where you basically only build up generically against all champions. I love that it is possible to hard counter in some cases.

It also means, in Riven's case, that she should be able to roam into mid and destroy an opposition APC who is building only MR to counter their lane opponent. I like that aspect of team-building, that we are interdependent on each other to overcome our hard-counters.

Halp

11-07-2012

Looks good

Ravechaosknight

11-07-2012

Xyph, you're only talking about BC and the new ArPen mechanics. >.> We get it AD's are going to be going through puberty during the preseason. It's not all about the AD though. <.<

What about Tanks? What about Supports? Dem AP's? Janglers maybe? Spread the sneak peek goodies around.

Here I'll make it easier, give an example of an item(either new or changed) that would cause an AP main to consider adding to their build. I play utility mages mid. (Lux/Galio for example) So additional items with slow CC's aren't particularly compelling for me.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!

Warkiller4884

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

League of draaaaaaaaven coming armor pen

Tomisan

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4769 View Post
Guy who plays Talon here; you are

It only does damage twice, once on the way in, once on the way out, the multiple blades are purely for show. You don't do more damage by hitting people with more blades, they get hit by one, they take full damage. So it should only be proccing BC twice.
Now i feel rather stupid for my comment above. Thanks for the explanation

urmamasllama

11-07-2012

idk if you'll be covering mage stuff yet but i remember a long time ago that you really wanted to do something with ToG and its upgrades. have you finally gotten your way and fixed it? seriously way too much mana. The item is just silly and ryze had to receive countless nerfs, When it was Tear making him able to put out ADC level damage late game that made the problems.

Shenlock Holmes

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Clean up / Reworks

We have some items that need a lot of love and some items that simply don’t have a place in the current framework in the game. We either made these items relevant for a specific purpose or removed them if they were too problematic to balance. Some super-niche or narrow-scope items have been remade to work on a greater variety of champions.

Specialization

There aren’t enough items to allow each champion to really feel like they have their own unique build. We also want to add more items that allow you to specialize for the particular game that you’re in. We’re adding items to give players in each role alternate primary builds that fill out their teams better. If your carry needs to do more AoE damage, he has an option for that. If your primary AP caster needs additional CC capabilities, there’s an option for that, too.

We want players to have a degree of specialization in terms of playstyle, and to buy items that complement that playstyle rather than simply giving them the highest raw stats.

Gold and Statistics Pass

We’ve done a complete gold and statistics pass on the entire item shop. Many statistics have been reevaluated to better reflect how much gold they are worth at a particular stage of the game. Premiums have been adjusted across many items to reflect how difficult they are to build or how niche they are, rather than their raw statistical strength. Items that grant early Resistances / Attack Damage / Attack Speed have all been reevaluated in terms of strength.

Breadth and Depth

One of the most important things we tried to accomplish during the preseason was to ensure that your mid game items didn’t pigeonhole you into certain choices later in the game. We’ve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you don’t run into dead-ends as the game progresses. If you build Warden’s Mail in the mid game, you shouldn’t feel compelled to buy Randuin’s Omen every game. We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on.

We know that some of your favorite items might be affected by the coming update. I’ll be discussing many specific examples in depth leading up to the patch. If you’d like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and I’ll answer your question if I can.

Well, for the clean up/reworks goal, i think it is a good idea. I mean, a lot of items that are avaible in the game store aren't bought, or a few people use them.

By exemple; Boots of Mobility (Enhanced movement 2, increases to Enchanced Movement 5 when out of combat for 5seconds) I never saw someone with those boots, either in PvP than Co-op. For sure it does help to run faster, but most of the time we are always hitting something in a fight.

Now, for the specialization. I think that's my favorite part of this thread. Always playing a champion like other player do is getting old and boring. I'm really excited to see those new playstyles, and how much those new items will affect the game. We will be able to see an infinite amount of Pantheon style, even with Amumu, Caitlyn all the other champions currently avaible in the game.

What about Gold and statistics pass ? Don't have much to say about this but here's a few point. For sure, some items are too expensive for the few stats, and sometimes those few stats are too weak. and some items are almost free and they are to OP. A new look at some prices will make a clean effect in the game.

Last thing, Breadth and depth. Over here i'll talk about my personal games, and experiences. Even in co-op or pvp games, in mid-games i'm often forced to sell/buy new items due to the fact that stats i need are not the good one. This point take me back to Specialization part. I guess it will guide some players the choose the good items and i'm also sure that a majority of the new player will be a step better and less lost.