Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot, the Honor system needs to be simpler. Please read.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hakobo

11-06-2012

Hey Riot, I love the new honor system, yet I can't help but notice that it has its flaws and displays some inaccurate data on who is actually honorable or not. I'm going to get straight to the point on here as to exactly what I think should be changed and why:

First: Remove "Friendly" and "Helpful" from the choices, leaving only "Teamwork" and "Honorable Opponent", and then having just a thumbs up (or the icon for the honor itself following the same purpose) button in place of the honor button at the score screen next to the report button. This will motivate players to give honor to others because it is in a quicker simpler manner, and eliminates the pointless decision of choosing between three incredibly similar categories. I chose Teamwork because I noticed that my Teamwork points FAR exceed my Friendly and Helpful points. It seems to be the go-to honor button. We could even name it to something that covers a more general form of good behavior. Since the only option for an opponent is Honorable Opponent, why am I having to click twice? That's why I think the thumbs up button should be there. If you guys think people will spam the thumbs up idea, then why not test it on PBE and see what you think?

Now I know you are thinking "oh clicking twice? big deal you lazy dumb dumb." but hear me out, it can actually make quite the difference being so simple as you play game after game.

Second: Remove the ability to honor your friends or party members. I mean, if it reduces the chance of having a ribbon, why have it at all? Every time I play with my friends or other people in the same premade they honor me, any premade I am in I receive 4 teamwork. This makes me have a very inaccurate display of honor actually received from strangers, because it is a given that my friends are going to give it to me. How much honor have I actually received from others?

I hope I get a reply on this, because although the honor system is a great idea, it's a tad bit too gimmicky, inaccurate and should be toned down in complexity. I feel doing so will make the feature blend in more with the PVP.net client.

ElysianFrowns

11-20-2012

A lot of this makes sense.

Tsugaga

11-20-2012

Yeah I agree with this. The helpful and friendly honors seem quite useless. If I would be honored by teammates then it is almost always for teamwork. The helpful honor is probably the most useless honor of them all though, its very rare that you have a chance to tell a player info that they don't know, unless they are build suggestions. Most times when I see someone see "You should build blag on that champ", it gets the reply of "I know how to play my champ".

Frost Unit

11-20-2012

Usually, If a player is helpful and/or friendly, they usually deserve the teamwork one as well. If there is ever a tie, I always give them the teamwork one.
The flaw is that now people won't know that they were also friendly/helpful, just that they had good teamwork. Since we can only give one honor, it becomes biased.

The clicking twice really isn't much of an issue. It prevents me from accidentally giving honors.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

11-20-2012

You can read about Honor here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/honor
it tells you the difference between each honor.

Solari Brigadier

11-20-2012

Honestly, there is a distinction. I've played games where someone was making me laugh all game, but spent 90% of it afk farming in top lane. I've had games where nothing exciting happened, but someone gave me (or someone else) an awesome piece of advice. And then I've had games where my ADC was silent all game but was easily the best ADC I've played with in days.

Each one of those merits a different type of Honor, and I certainly wouldn't give the first one a Teamwork honor.

I will agree that I think there's still an aura of gimmicky-ness to Honor, but hopefully as time goes on that changes.

Elven Chaos

11-21-2012

For further reading, check out the wiki article on Honor here (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Honor). It lends itself to much further information on the subject than the official link.

Off of what I can see and my novice speculation, I would say that people see the straight-forward "Honorable Opponent" ribbon/medal in plenty, then compare that to the ribbons/medals of other types and see a drastic change in both quantity and straight-forwardness. If I were to compare this to the next most straight-forward award, the "Teamwork" medal and ribbon, then it seems the closest "Honorable Ally" type ribbon if much further off to attain. This is mainly because of two parts of the honor system. The first is that "Teamwork" has to compete with "Friendly" and "Helpful," while "Honorable Opponent" has no competition. The second is that the "Honorable Ally" type awards have to take account of when you are pre-made, whereas "Honorable Opponent" again does not have this problem.

One solution is "simplification," condensing "Friendly," " Helpful," and "Teamwork" into "Honorable Ally." While this would solve the competitiveness of the three, it detracts from the individual qualities that the system seeks to reward and exemplify in summoners. This would hurt the purpose of the system.

An alternate (and my preference) to the above would be to have an "Honorable Ally" ribbon and medal that gains score from all three categories. This would take in the competitiveness problem these scores usually have as well as the quantity problem when compared to "Honorable Opponent," but only partially. This also lets other ribbon possibilities stand, such as "Teamwork," "Mentor," and "Leader."

The honor system still adjusts values for pre-mades, which isn't really a bad thing. It needs to do this to prevent abuse and undeserved awarding. The exact value or equation it uses may need further adjusting, however, as the value being taken away may be too much. Should the value change overall to subtract less from pre-made friends? Should the system subtract less from the value each pre-made friend gives the fewer in your pre-made grouping (i.e. less than a full queue)? I leave these consideration up to the reds who have a much better head on their shoulders and understanding of the system. They probably have already made these considerations, but iteration never hurts!

The other awards are far less straight-forward, involving the necessities of mixed points (with a system with an internal struggle, mentioned before) with other possible criteria. Part of the problem here may be the summoner's lack of identifiable goal (what I need to get there) and standing (how I am doing towards my goal).

The revealing of the awards and the "goals" may give players a bulls-eye to shoot for, and overall further urge players to better their sportsmanship, though on the other side of the coin this revealing would give out too much information and also urge players to partake in honor trading and requests (give me X over Y).

Instead of a full reveal, partially reveal information. Reveal the "real" score summoners are earning (how am I doing?) (Derp. Or keep the honor scores that are already visible, these work just as well! Derp derp.) and reveal the names of the awards, but not the "goals." This would let a summoner see how they are behaving by examining their scores, and let a summoner see how they should further (more so than the four scores given) shape themselves into the Summoner's Code by aiming for what the title's suggest, i.e. Leader, Teammate, Mentor, etc.

Hope this helps everyone out and gives food for thought :3! Let me know where any of the logic is flawed! My analysis does not take account of actual player behavior, which could be a huge flaw in the analysis.

DreamsOfGrandeur

11-21-2012

Yeah... No.

In my opinion, there being more options for the Honor system makes giving Honor more mental presence then reporting.

It's not complicated to choose between Helpful, Friendly, Good Teamwork, or Honorable.
And if they deserve to be given a second thumbs-up, then you, as a nice person, will make the effort to do so.