Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mikemaximum

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
So what will happen to Locket of the Iron Solari then?

IS11d6327cb35cafc124891

11-06-2012

heal destroyed the gameplay now, we will have heal+barrier O.O

seriously i can't stand the bait anymore, flash was frustrating because ennemy always flashed at the last moment to escape and not be killed but... HEAL OMG, not only you can't kill him, but he WILL kill you because of that fcking spell. Seriously, i didnt have faith in riot for a long time, but this thing is really the cherry on the cake.

KUNG FU GU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival7663 View Post
what u said reminds me of flash everything u said reminds me of flash op
Flashes counter flashes. Barriers don't.

BeastMode

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

lol did you copy an old post about flash and replace the word "flash" with "barrier"?

Morello

Lead Designer

11-06-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Like Bear View Post
I have two very, very important questions. (And one statement)

1) - Is it going to be affect by ignite? If not, is the value going to be lower than heal since there is no counterplay to using barrier in full-on engagements.

2) - Assassins are already punished heavily - if this spell becomes popular, assassins are going to have an already harder time bursting the already hard-to-kill squishy characters that currently build at least one defensive item or have high mobility and escapes (See - 90% of AD carries; Any AP carry that builds Negatron, Zhonyas, or has a flash-type ability).

Not really a question, but a statement.

3) What is the logic behind implementing barrier in Summoner's Rift? As in, was there a specific reason the developers felt Barrier needed to be introduced or was it simply for the sake of change?
Good post!

1) No, but don't look at the current values - we've changed them specifically for SR. Additionally, Ignite being used means heal can't be - it simply counters it. Hard counters at champ select are largely undesirable.

2) Assassins are also getting a ton of help in the new items for Season 3. Remember that current "what works" isn't necessarily valid for S3.

3) By turning Heal into more a "save your friends" skill, Barrier is the selfish version of it - filling the role heal used to fill. It's meant to deal with spikes and save your life in some situations.

KillswitchEngag3

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Party Ziggs View Post
It's taken on Proving Grounds because Flash is not needed there.
If it is taken on Summoner's Rift, that means the person had to give up either Flash, or Exhaust/Smite/Ignite.

ANYTHING that will discourage Flash+Ignite/Exhaust/Smite on everybody every game is welcome in my book.
youll be saying this for now until champions like corki / tristana / ezreal take barrier over flash and start using their "flash" like abilitys for escapes instead of relying on flash... well see how much you enjoy a solid ADC with a built in escape + barrier + ignite... dont come crying to me

BardsmanGob

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRkid View Post
Not every mechanic in the game has a direct counter. True damage has no real counter in this game its just something you have to learn to deal with.
HP

DrDivine

11-06-2012

Don't you guys hate it when that last tick of ignite just doesn't finish the job? Get ready to have this feeling a lot more often.

Pekin Woof

11-06-2012

I really want to hear what the new version of heal is.

Mansa TChalla

11-06-2012

Barrier on SR is going to keep champs with high shields like Shen out of this game forever. Nobody wants to try to fight a last minute Shen shield with barrier up... Do not put that in SR..