Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

octavian1127

11-06-2012

By the main theory i'm seeing as to why Barrier is bad for gameplay, isn't Ignite also bad for gameplay? It has no counterplay, it can only be used offensively, it can't be mitigated, etc....

WATCHMAKERZILEAN

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
but heal is chopped in half by ignite

Tyhan

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Party Ziggs View Post
It's taken on Proving Grounds because Flash is not needed there.
If it is taken on Summoner's Rift, that means the person had to give up either Flash, or Exhaust/Smite/Ignite.

ANYTHING that will discourage Flash+Ignite/Exhaust/Smite on everybody every game is welcome in my book.
Except the best summoner spell combination on proving grounds is Flash+Barrier 97% of the time.

So uh, yeah.

Dragonrend

11-06-2012

Barrier serves as a flat counter to Ignite but, with its very low cooldown, tends to be up more during trades. With Barrier's introduction is he wishing to make the game more defensive, or perhaps it's a de-facto nerf to Ignite.?

Intensive

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
Hello GD.
1) Barrier can only be used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
Dude I use this offensively all the time, tower diving and diving into enemy teams with champions like Maokai.

Tigrian

11-06-2012

I feel this is a step in the right direction, really. We have a handful of summoner spells that are hardly ever taken. Creating difficult choices makes for more interesting gameplay. It just feels like a lot of people are afraid of change.

EzrealTheSacred

11-06-2012

i dont care how hard riot tries to insure that it will be balanced. I will quit game if it makes its way to SR

Kamu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRkid View Post
By that logic "time" is a counter to barrier. Since you just have to wait for the barrier to expire.
Dr. Zilean

Patroks

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
It doesn't destroy the game, but it destroys any ap champions...

Cha0sniper

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
2) It punishes good play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing.
Then that's his fault for not taking into account that his opponent has barrier up. It's the same as heal-baiting.