Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2 Swainz

11-07-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.

In most cases heal doesn't prevent death, it only delays it. Barrier prevents death way more often, which is why it would be broken on SR, even if the numbers were tweaked. Heal can also be countered by ignite and grievous wounds. Barrier is a much more surefire way to cheat death. Coupled with flash people would be nearly unkillable.

TigerCloud

11-07-2012

Morello, you said you wanted to make lanes more aggressive rather then the passive play that has been passively encouraged by the community in non competitive play, such as solo que. How will bringing barrier into SR make anything more aggressive? If anything the lane will be very passive until the jungle decides to gank, and even that can be mitigated by a ward, so there is actually no aggressive play at all rather then just out csing your opponent in lane and trading a few shots.

Dreaducate

11-07-2012

no barrier plz

Saikaici

11-07-2012

Flash gets you out of bad positioning.

Barrier will preserve your life so that you can get a little bit more damage off, or deny Darius or Chogath that kill on their ult. If you're in a bad place you're screwed no matter what happens.

Also, I'll be happy to see multiple OP spells in SR, rather than you know, just one.

FilipeSVB

11-07-2012

No teemo, no barrier

Jancarius

11-07-2012

I am for anything that breaks up the Flash+Ignite/Smite/Exhaust set.

EmperialGoddess

11-07-2012

No Barrier on SR!!!! Don't do it, Riot!

Fenstick

11-07-2012

Quote:
EzrealTheSacred:
i dont care how hard riot tries to insure that it will be balanced. I will quit game if it makes its way to SR

Be careful, someone might hold you to that.

Vantooth

11-07-2012

Quote:
Paprikachu:
The point I tried to make in the start post is actually in no way related to SR. Note that I did not mention maps even once. My thread got misused to QQ about adding Barrier to SR. While I'd hate to see Barrier on SR, it's not its biggest issue.

Having said that, I realized, while reading the answers, that the biggest problem with Barrier is actually not that it's OP, adjusting numbers won't solve the problem. The biggest problem is that it's conceptually anti-fun. Playing against someone with Barrier is frustrating, because it hard-counters last-hit abilities (as well as gap closers), and using Barrier yourself is not satisfying. It does not produce diversity from a gameplay perspective.

That being said, I hope that the "missing information" you're talking about is not only adjusted numbers, but also additional effects added to the spell.

First of all, side effect? I'd like to see that on some summoners spell, might be a good balance idea.

Secondly, barrier anti-fun? Depending on the point of view it might, but here is why I don't think it is more frustrating than any other. If barrier is frustrating so should be flash, heal, ignite, exhaust and, about all summoners spell following this logic no?
When you would die, or get a kill, oops a flash, exhaust or hell I got ignited and my opponent just walked away leaving me to my death. This would be all "frustrating". I don;t think so.

This is why every summoners get two summoner spells. Choose something that complement your role, adds to your defense or offense (if you are like me, you'd take second option). learn to keep track of your opponents summoner spells, it's make your life a LOT easier. If you can't bait a heal, barrier or flash out of them, go learn it. It'll make you that much better.

Summoners spell are part of the game and you should learn to play with them, not against them. Use them to your advantage, and to the enemies disadvantage. Don't get frustrated over using your 100 sec ult over a barrier which will probably have 180 seconds + CD, meaning in 100 sec, you get 80 sec to score your kill, or hell before this! He use flash, call the jungler for a gank in hurry! Same with barrier! (If no jungle, another lane can come help with this, but be careful as if the enemies call mia it might not work.)

Well long text, short moral, learn to love all part of game not only those that originally please you. This game is not made for one person, but hundreds of thousand. Hope this might bring more fun in your next games.

PS: I understand your point of view, I dislike flash and it was once painfully frustrating for me to play against those who used it because I refused to take it since I considered it OP back then. But now, there is one thing which frustrate me in a game and that is Darius XD.

vairoletto

11-07-2012

Quote:
KillswitchEngag3:
youll be saying this for now until champions like corki / tristana / ezreal take barrier over flash and start using their "flash" like abilitys for escapes instead of relying on flash... well see how much you enjoy a solid ADC with a built in escape + barrier + ignite... dont come crying to me

the reason this champs usually go for flash ignite/heal/cleanse and not 2 other summoners is because they still rely on flash, even with the built in flash, i would never go barrier ignite on corki, just as i dont go ignite/cleanse o ignite/heal now.