Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrimoireM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmurderer View Post
Going to be just like buffed Heal. AD carry will just take Flash/Barrier. Bot is going to be a bit boring :/
Well, let's run through the scenarios, assuming we're committing to a fight where both summoners are used in tandem, shall we:
Barrier vs Ignite: The barrier champion wins unless the ignite tick plus any damage dealt is sufficient, ie. your opponent is ahead in terms of overall health/DPS. This means you'll either be sure you're ahead, or save it while escaping once out of the enemy's effective range, to ensure you don't die.

Barrier vs Heal: Number dependent, if we use the live heal comparison I suspect heal will win. Note that heal can be used to negate a large disadvantage in health if you stick to strictly poking, while barrier requires specific timing and will lose out on it's benefit.

Barrier vs Cleanse: Barrier wins unless you're moderately behind, in which case you won't be committing to any fights and it will save your life again and again.

Barrier vs Exhaust: Exhaust wins. You can't afford to commit even if you're moderately ahead in form or health. It really takes a critical advantage to kill someone when you're exhausted. In bot if your support does a fair amount of damage as well, then you might be able to make it out alright, but they're likely going to get the kills over you. Your advantage is exhaust's naturally low range. Poke on, good sir.

Barrier vs Barrier: Static. Other lane factors influence how this will turn out instead.

Jackoffripper

11-07-2012

Giving a summary of the first post, we basically need to stick to the same old meta and avoid new ones. Adding barrier to Summoners Rift is a good and completely viable idea, I personally am tired of EVERYONE on the team sticking to the same two summoners spells. Flash/Ignite/Exhaust is the same tired thing, rarely do you see heal, clarity, promote or any of the other spells. I for one am in favor of barrier.

FoxysBack

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetios View Post
Shields are more problematic than a heal. You can negate a heal. Barrier is better than heal in every possible way.
Except for the not being permanent part.

FoxysBack

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Good post!

3) By turning Heal into more a "save your friends" skill, Barrier is the selfish version of it - filling the role heal used to fill. It's meant to deal with spikes and save your life in some situations.
Basically, you're saying you're buffing assassins, and giving us a counter to aforementioned assassins. Barrier+Flash on all carries, Heal+Exhaust/Flash on all supports for unbreakable lane.

Not that I think it's a bad thing, just speculating.

Edit: Oops, double posted. Talk about embarrassing...

DarkPercy

11-07-2012

I think it's gonna k.

Purgation

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetios View Post
Shields are more problematic than a heal. You can negate a heal. Barrier is better than heal in every possible way.
Technically not true, as has already been mentioned, shields can't provide enduring sustain the way heal could in theory. (note, heal isn't a very effective sustain today, but it could be).

What people are really QQing about is that ignite really now WILL now have a counter.... the horror...

Cozarkian

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimoireM View Post
Barrier vs Exhaust: Exhaust wins. You can't afford to commit even if you're moderately ahead in form or health. It really takes a critical advantage to kill someone when you're exhausted. In bot if your support does a fair amount of damage as well, then you might be able to make it out alright, but they're likely going to get the kills over you. Your advantage is exhaust's naturally low range. Poke on, good sir..
Barrier lasts 4 seconds and exhaust lasts 2.5, which means you can use barrier to survive the exhaust and then still have another 1.5 seconds to retaliate. Since barrier also has a shorter cooldown (granted this probably is being increased) you can draw out the exhaust and then commit in the next fight with a summoner spell advantage.

XylemUP

11-07-2012

Oh boy, barrier in summoners rift? Fan fmucking tastic.

No more bottom for me. It'll remove any reason for me to get ignite/exhaust. Why get spells that won't finish them off anyways, when I could just get the spells to make me not die? Nobody gets kills! Hoorah!

Baked Potatoes

11-07-2012

i agree, i do not want barrier in sr as i feel it will just break it. i dont want it nerfed, i just dont want it in there period. i am all for keeping it in proving grounds for aram though

Jon Quìxote

11-07-2012

It seems like no one wants this addition to the game. I think it will be interesting and fun to have barrier in SR...