Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deater101

11-06-2012

Please bring back fortify D:

Janna F Kennedy

11-06-2012

bump

YoGurt8

11-06-2012

Defensive spells are boring, flash can be used offensively so its interesting, barrier is not the same. I think offensive spells are a lot more fun, maybe some kind of pew pew laser summoner instead of barrier would make aram a lot better (more kills more fun!)

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, I prefer soft counters. Hard counters remove options with a choice; soft counters add additional decision points to a choice.
Why is removing options with a choice a bad thing, out of curiosity?

Quote:
If it lasts for a very short time, and takes awesome timing to save yourself...seems like a pretty good skill to me
I would agree with this if barrier couldn't be used when you're CC'd---if Veigar/Annie combo's you starting with their CC and you couldn't use barrier, yeah, you would have to have marvelous timing---but since you can use it when you are CC'd, the "timing window" isn't as much of a big deal.

Quote:
It's hard with missing information to craft a complete picture. I'll assure you of this: we're not putting the shield that "just gives you health" with no gameplay on SR. There's more here to look at than "I don't like Barrier on ARAM, therefore it has to suck on SR". And since this is super-loose, if it does cause issues it's easy to remove.
I realize this, and I won't reserve full judgement on SR barrier until I've experienced it, but off the top of my head, it being problematic for burst mages was what came to mind.

Catmurderer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Going to be just like buffed Heal. AD carry will just take Flash/Barrier. Bot is going to be a bit boring :/

Lisztomaniac

11-06-2012

yeah, dont allowe barrier to be good, we dont want the same summoner spell used in every game, oh wait.

Dragull2

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried ARAM once. Almost everyone takes either Barrier, Heal, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Barrier is almost always used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes aggressive play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing. This is made worse by the fact that its cooldown is much lower than flash's.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
4) It is crazy OP. It's basically +25% HP for free.
5) Unlike Heal, there is no counter to it.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has.

Flash does not suffer from any of these problems. It does not give you stats, it can be used offensively and it only buys you a small amount of time, you can still be outrun by champs with higher movement speed.

tl;dr: Remove Barrier, or nerf it at least. It makes the game boring and extremely frustrating.

Edit: Clarified my arguments a bit.
You are not even willing to test it a little bit at least?

Poo Chada

11-06-2012

tons of damage

Kionashi

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried ARAM once. Almost everyone takes either Barrier, Heal, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Barrier is almost always used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes aggressive play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing. This is made worse by the fact that its cooldown is much lower than flash's.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
4) It is crazy OP. It's basically +25% HP for free.
5) Unlike Heal, there is no counter to it.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has.

Flash does not suffer from any of these problems. It does not give you stats, it can be used offensively and it only buys you a small amount of time, you can still be outrun by champs with higher movement speed.

tl;dr: Remove Barrier, or nerf it at least. It makes the game boring and extremely frustrating.

Edit: Clarified my arguments a bit.

im sorry but that makes no sense...

1.-There is no use than saving your ass, so what's the problem? i wanna save my ass very often why is that a bad thing?

2.-But it also encourage agressive play. Imagine an squishy ad carry tower hugging, so you try dive, pop your shield get the kill and run away from turret range...

3.-That's stupid, Flash also do that, wrong positioning just use flash to get away for free

4.-numbers could be tweaked maybe not based on your health just like heal, a certain amount per level...

5.-So? there is a counter to ghost? or counter to teleport or Surge? why every spell need to have a counter?

6.-Numbers can be tweaked...

Galgus

11-06-2012

I thought Barrier would wind up being used like I use heal on champions with with self-heal*- to stay alive a bit longer for the self-heal to work longer.

*(Like Swain.)

I'll admit that I haven't played the ARAM map, but I think you are discounting the stick-in-the-fight risk-taking help it provides for aggressive play.