Inconsistencies with fan-shaped skill shots.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tauros113

11-06-2012

bump

pokenerd

11-06-2012

completely agree. I use smart cast on everything now to the point where Veigar e and Anivia wall are the only spells I don't, and turning it off completely ruins my normal flow of the game. The first lot of spells you mentioned, Annie's w and Cho'gath's w are impossible for me to aim (on smartcast) because of this.

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Broke 100 upvotes. Hopefully some wonderful insomniac Rioter stumbles upon us and drops some knowledge, or even just an acknowledgement post to give the thread that little red tag in the corner that will instantly bring 1000 more views.

Synhyborex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Another few examples of the cast immediately which can be pretty annoying are Tristana's Rocket Jump and Kha'Zix's Leap. On the other hand spells like Gragas' ult have you walk to the edge of the range.

chzyken

11-06-2012

Well, AOE cones offer more precision while conic skillshot are much less click. (Their are actually coded differently too)

I think the rationale is that AOE cone spells benefit for offensive usage when the enemy may be out of range when you decide to cast (so you can properly premeditate the location of cast while moving forward or poking). On the other hand, conic skillshot benefit for defensive play when the enemy is already in range and you realize you need to quickly get off your spell without worrying about moving towards the enemy you're trying to escape from.

So to rationalize this for some abilities,
Ashe's W, Talons Q- its long range means you don't really need precision or fear falling short. skillshotting is more efficient.
MFs Ulti - needs to be precisely landed for max effectiveness. Does not need to be cast very quickly for clutch defense
Cassiopeia ulti - rarely premeditated. speed much more important since enemies must be facing you for full effect.

And now the key 2:
Chogath and Annie W - both want to stay at max cast range, and use these spells as a key part of their poke/burst. so being able to precisely land them while being offensive is pretty important.
Yet, when the enemy is on top of you and you need to get your spell of asap to stun/silence, having it be a skillshot is so critical. I can't think of how many times I've cast it behind me or moved closer to the enemy I'm trying to flee.

So I agree with the OP and will keep bumping till we get a red's attention.
I propose that:
For smart casting - all conic spells behave like skillshot.
For regular casting, keep them the way they are for now
Why the diff? Normal casting is about getting to see that range indicator and not worrying about missing. Walking to the cast point will help with more beginner players who have a bad grasp of ranges. If you smart cast, then you already should know the ranges and getting it off quickly is the goal anyways

Castochi

11-06-2012

I feel that if a change has to be made, then it has to be enabled/disabled on a per account basis. I for one, love this trait on my Mid Cho'Gath, were I can harrass my lane opponent with the tip of my W and partially avoid skill/auto-attack harrass. Besides, I know I will miss the skill more if the OP's suggested change is implemented.

I say, in turn, either make all fan-shaped skillshots behave like Cho'Gath's Feral Scream (W), give the option to us Summoner's to enable/disable the behavior on a per account basis, or just make no change at all.

HowdyMcGee

11-06-2012

Actually Cho's W is why I don't play him. That just annoyed the hell out of me in free week.

Beauneaux

11-06-2012

i agree.

the way it works when its not rooted to the champion is unintuitive and clunky feeling.

Sylvr

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzyken View Post
Well, AOE cones offer more precision while conic skillshot are much less click. (Their are actually coded differently too)

I think the rationale is that AOE cone spells benefit for offensive usage when the enemy may be out of range when you decide to cast (so you can properly premeditate the location of cast while moving forward or poking). On the other hand, conic skillshot benefit for defensive play when the enemy is already in range and you realize you need to quickly get off your spell without worrying about moving towards the enemy you're trying to escape from.

So to rationalize this for some abilities,
Ashe's W, Talons Q- its long range means you don't really need precision or fear falling short. skillshotting is more efficient.
MFs Ulti - needs to be precisely landed for max effectiveness. Does not need to be cast very quickly for clutch defense
Cassiopeia ulti - rarely premeditated. speed much more important since enemies must be facing you for full effect.

And now the key 2:
Chogath and Annie W - both want to stay at max cast range, and use these spells as a key part of their poke/burst. so being able to precisely land them while being offensive is pretty important.
Yet, when the enemy is on top of you and you need to get your spell of asap to stun/silence, having it be a skillshot is so critical. I can't think of how many times I've cast it behind me or moved closer to the enemy I'm trying to flee.

So I agree with the OP and will keep bumping till we get a red's attention.
I propose that:
For smart casting - all conic spells behave like skillshot.
For regular casting, keep them the way they are for now
Why the diff? Normal casting is about getting to see that range indicator and not worrying about missing. Walking to the cast point will help with more beginner players who have a bad grasp of ranges. If you smart cast, then you already should know the ranges and getting it off quickly is the goal anyways
I like your proposed solution. Since people typically use smartcast to use their spells more quickly, it would make sense to let that act as the toggle.

drunkadin

11-06-2012

I, for one, like it the way it is. On champions I play like morde, it's invaluable to me to be able to not cast it unless I'm going to be in range of it working (I only click it in range, so if I"m chasing for example...)