Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Item Concept] Armor + AP Item choice(s).

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krìn

11-06-2012

Problem: Limited item on Armor+Ability Power Choice.
I would like to see some improvement on this niche. Maybe with one item choice (see below) or more items in general.

The only item currently that fits this is Zhonya's Hourglass.
With a hefty price of 3100 gold, it is not a good itemization choice for most champions. You are also directly paying for the active ability.
By this I mean the item is generally limited to AP Mid champions, while the benefits of having both AP+Armor can be used on a lot of other champions in general.

There used to be an old item for this, but the active ability was probably too strong. I'm not even sure it was actually in the game.
The Rose's Pride.

With Season 3 just around the corner, this has the possibility to be remade. Potentially being added into the game at a later date.

The Proposal
The Rose's Pride.
Blasting Wand + Chain Vest + 540 Gold (Total Cost: 2100 Gold. Sell Value: 1470)
+45 AP
+45 Armor
Unique Passive: +5% cooldown reduction.
Unique Passive: On being hit by an enemy champion, increases your armor and ability power by 5 for 4 seconds (Maximum 4 stacks). This includes enemy champion abilities.

Total of 65 AP and 65 Armor at full stacks.
I did not include it's old active ability. Gaining a shield on this item would be too powerful on some champions.
The new on-hit passive is sort of unique. Similar to Warden's Mail / Randuin's Omen, except this directly affects your defensive armor stat.
I'm probably not the best at finding the item cost efficiency, so the developers can balance that.

This can help some AP casters in the current Meta, for dealing with AD type champions mid lane. Or this can just help champions in general, surviving a fight and the possiblity to retaliate.
This item also works well on a lot of champions:
Alistar, Diana, Dr. Mundo, Galio, Janna, Karma, Kayle, Leona, Lux, Maokai, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Nautilus, Orianna, Shen, Sion, Sona, Soraka, Taric, and Viktor.

I probably missed a few, but that shows you how many champions it can benefit.
I hope this gets addressed for Season 3.
I'm not sure how well this passive works, or if anything is 'over the top' with the item.
If anyone has constructive feedback, or want to state your opinions, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Change-log: Added 5% CDR.

xJoker

11-07-2012

Quote:
Krin Scelestus:
Problem: Limited item on Armor+Ability Power Choice.
I would like to see some improvement on this niche. Maybe with one item choice (see below) or more items in general.

The only item currently that fits this is Zhonya's Hourglass.
With a hefty price of 3100 gold, it is not a good itemization choice for most champions. You are also directly paying for the active ability.
By this I mean the item is generally limited to AP Mid champions, while the benefits of having both AP+Armor can be used on a lot of other champions in general.

There used to be an old item for this, but the active ability was probably too strong. I'm not even sure it was actually in the game.
The Rose's Pride.

With Season 3 just around the corner, this has the possibility to be remade. Potentially being added into the game at a later date.

The Proposal
The Rose's Pride.
Blasting Wand + Chain Vest + 540 Gold (Total Cost: 2100 Gold. Sell Value: 1470)
+45 AP
+45 Armor
Unique Passive: On being hit by an enemy champion, increases your armor and ability power by 5 for 4 seconds (Maximum 4 stacks). This includes enemy champion abilities.

Total of 65 AP and 65 Armor at full stacks.
I did not include it's old active ability. Gaining a shield on this item would be too powerful on some champions.
The new on-hit passive is sort of unique. Similar to Warden's Mail / Randuin's Omen, except this directly affects your defensive armor stat.
I'm probably not the best at finding the item cost efficiency, so the developers can balance that.

This can help some AP casters in the current Meta, for dealing with AD type champions mid lane. Or this can just help champions in general, surviving a fight and the possiblity to retaliate.
This item also works well on a lot of champions:
Alistar, Diana, Dr. Mundo, Galio, Janna, Karma, Kayle, Leona, Lux, Maokai, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Nautilus, Orianna, Shen, Sion, Sona, Soraka, Taric, and Viktor.

I probably missed a few, but that shows you how many champions it can benefit.
I hope this gets addressed for Season 3.
I'm not sure how well this passive works, or if anything is 'over the top' with the item.
If anyone has constructive feedback, or want to state your opinions, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Bump!
Excellent Idea. I agree with the thought of making a better defense/ap item now days because the meta is beginning to change and you are starting to see some AD bruisers in the mid lane that crush your typical AP carry. The purpose of the ap solo mid was to be close to blue buff as your AP Caster and to also be given solo exp since EXP is very important on AP casters (more than it is on AD). Froggens Lee sin and a few people's jayce + pantheon mid lane rampages are prime examples of how underpowered the bruisers make AP Casters in lane. Ofc Zhonyas is an obvious choice but since Zhonyas has the Needlessly Large Rod as its requirements, it's very expensive and hard to acquire early in the game.

Krìn

11-07-2012

I think this is viable considering the Black Cleaver remake incoming.
For those not reading the forums, BC is getting %based shred on hit.
So Cleaver / Last Whisper / Brutalizer should still counter this item.

Anyone have thoughts about adding CDR? Maybe like 5%? Something small, slightly helpful.

ShaIom

11-07-2012

This can work and just have say an amplifying tome to build into zhonyas O.o

Krìn

11-08-2012

I still don't think this is getting the attention it should.

Also, I think this item is very lackluster when you're not in any type of battle. Be it from poke harassment or a full on fight. Your not benefiting from anything special until after some battle happens.
Any thoughts on how the active can be tweaked? Or completely changed overall.

I'll add 5% CDR in the mean time, and wait for replies.

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

11-08-2012

It's very true that AP/Armor is a hole in itemization, particularly for the AP junglers, but also a hole that forces AP to go mid most of the time. I'd like to see something to this effect break that meta a little bit.

Krìn

11-11-2012

The only hint so far from Riot was there might be a tanky version of Sheen, but we have no details.
That might work for an offensive item, but I still want confirmation from them that we may get some item in this niche.

I had an old idea of making a similar item like this with HP boost, but I think that's a little overpowered on some champions.

Anyone have ideas how we might improve the passive? Maybe like on-spellcast as well as on-being hit?
Or maybe something with more CDR effect?

axesandspears

11-11-2012

I personally do not like the passive, but other than that this is great in my opinion. The passive would work better on an item with roughly 30 armor.

Nurucio

11-14-2012

Jesus Christ why doesn't this item exist yet, this is brilliant. I love it. (Thanks for sharing my views and posting on my post by the way, I'll continue to bump this one to the first page for the sheer awesomeness of a new AP/Armor item. Zhonya's doesn't cut it.) With an anti-mage item as strong as Maw, not having any sort of even comparable anti-AD item for mages is grossly unfair. "Ohey, I can negate a chunk of your damage and gain a spell shield. Yeah, sure, you can make yourself invulnerable for a few seconds, but by the time that wears off I'll be on top of you to auto attack you to death!"

Clockworksummonr

11-14-2012

Holy god that's broken. The last thing Casters need is more defense, seriously. They have Zhonya, they are fine. AP casters are for utility, they are not tanks. If you want armor build frozen heart or Zhonya's hourglass, both are good items for AP casters. The item your proposing would blow AP carries into being the utility damage tank of the team. Maw of Malmortius was already desperately needed for Bruisers/Tanks because they couldn't do anything to due the amount of utility AP carries have.

AP carries need LESS health/mr/armor. not more.