Bot Jayce? + More Poking Questions + Champion Help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe10112

11-05-2012

Hey,

So I have played about 6 matches with Jayce since I bought him, and have mixed results. I am 4-0 with him when I play Bot Lane Jayce (with ~Level 15s), but 0-3 when I play him in Top Lane (with my Level 30 friend, so against ~Level 25s). Is Bot Lane Jayce viable? (I know he primarily goes top).

Also, I was top laning against a Xin Zhao earlier today, and I must say, as I was farming minions and stuff, he’d come out and poke me pretty hard, doing tons of damage (Darn you Phreak >.>) and knocking me up into the air, forcing me to run. I feel like I’m a little passive when I get poked, as in another game (against a Wukong top lane), when he came over for the E + Q combo, I would run away and try to have him back off. Should I be more aggressive and try to engage and trade damage with him as Jayce? I feel like when I get poked, my instinct is to try and run away-it seems like this is not the best idea, as it is free poke for them, I should retaliate? But then I feel like maybe they have some follow-up and if I try to retaliate, they'll kill me :/ Maybe people more experienced than me can tell me the psychological way to deal with aggressive melee pokes? (I have no problem with ranged pokes, such as my own E + Q combo, as it's ranged and they can't get me, its only when they come up close that I get really nervous, or when I go to poke them, I get nervous that my aggressive melee poke might not be strong enough, and they can counter-poke it and kill me...)

Finally, I currently have about 6500 IP, Level 15. My friend recommends me a rune setup for when I get to Level 20 that costs only ~7000 IP total (Armor and Magic Resist Runes, and flat AD runes). By just playing normally, I feel that I would easily get 7000 IP by Level 20, even if I spent all my IP right now. That being said, my champion “rotation” that I play is currently comprised of: Wukong, Jayce, Sona, Soraka, Evelynn (Morgana, Fiddlesticks as well in mid), Vladimir (still need to learn how to play Vladimir). I feel like I am in need of an ADC such as Graves or Kog’Maw, but I’m really not sure. That being said, I really like playing in lane with a partner (as it makes me feel more secure, knowing I have “backup” in a lane), which might be why I was able to do so well playing as Jayce in Bot Lane with a Support every game. So, is there anyone you suggest I buy with RP? I have a few champs I can play Top, a few I can play Mid, two great supports, but really no one that I can play as an ADC, except for the times I played Jayce down in Bot Lane and did very well. So, who do you recommend I buy?

Enfillyon

11-05-2012

if youre set on unlocking a more expensive AD i say go for it but if you just want to learn the role I would unlock a cheaper one

as for jayce at top from the sounds of it you need to work on timing your own harass while avoiding theirs. im not quite there myself but when you see them go in for a last hit thats when you want to harass them. just keep in mind the moment you use an auto attack the minions will aggro to you but if you use your abilities to harass they wont. same goes for the other guy. your pokes should give you a lot of breathing room at top, just make sure you get the passive armor debuff on them from switching then shoot Q so that it maximizes your damage. the other thing you need to keep in mind is that you dont always need to shoot it through a gate. its good if you do but youll find yourself oom pretty fast. the last thing to keep in mind about trading damage is that if you get poked or harassed, you need to make sure they are punished for it. if you dont attempt to even damage them then they won the trade and will be at a better position to kill you before you kill them

At bot lane as ADC:

Jayce suffers a bit from the shorter range of other ADCs at bot should you go that route but when built as one he can pull the job off quite nicely. Never tried it in ranked but one way to go is a kill lane with him. He snowballs hard there because he also doubles as a bruiser when in hammer form and bruisers make the early/mid game a nightmare for carries.

on another note top lane in general is the hardest lane in my opinion. youre the furthest from all the action, you have to make sure you know how to control the minion flow, and if you die even once it can set off a snowball thats hard to stop. you can be a really good 1 trick pony but top is very reliant on you knowing your matchups.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Jayce sucks as an AD Carry bottom lane. His only chance is to make it into a Kill Lane with an aggressive support like taric or alistar or blitz and use his ability to deal high combo damage and knockback into the wall-stun to pull ahead.

His range sucks and AS in general comboes terrible with him due to hyperstrike. If you ignore AS then your burst is insane but you dont do much sustained damage which is teh ADC role. So expect a better than average early game but you will suck it pretty hard on the back end, similar to Graves except worse.