I want to make Champions for League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izzabelle

12-08-2012

Almost finished a new champ tonight -- will post tomorrow.

ploki122

12-08-2012

Well, apparently, having Vi released brought A LOT of attention to your thread (and an amazing lot of red posts, including Zeronis *.*, but still not the promised Parrot one). I must say, having read through a bit of the Player Concept forum, I'm quite happy to see how you're taking the similarities between Quinn and Vi.

First of all, based on the timeframes, it's obvious that one isn't based on the other (and it's even probable that 1 didn't even affect the other in another way than making the devs more confident). I love the fact that you realized that much and aren't going crazy over small stuff like that (like, most are, and you got the proof right here :P).

Like you, I believe that most of these concepts are already in development, so let's bet on the next champion that will resemble one of your concepts (and not only concept-wise, but you have to nail the art too)... My bet would be... Scheele or Waitomo. If we ignore art, the next concept in that list to be tackled will be Rhyodacite, most definitely...

Still, very good job on Quinn, I really think that your double tanks on her back look much better than that awkward little hex-appendage on Vi...

P.s. Remember me whenever you become a Rioter, and dw, I'll meet you there :P.

The Dork

12-08-2012

Im tired. Im about to go to bed. Discovered this thread,
*imagine last line in hulk hogan voice*
Cool stuff OP, keep on truckin' brother

0Anhedonia0

12-08-2012

Castor/Pollux seems interesting and I like the idea of being able to transform. But because they are yordles I think it would be more fitting if you had those two side by side or even one carrying the other on his/her shoulders. Running side by side you would control them like any champion. Buff/debuff could be achieved with similar abilities to Sona or skillshots where both shoot their own beam. With skillshots you could make mechanics like: if only one hits it is the standard skill and if both hits you'll get effect x.

Bilbo Batten

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-08-2012
17 of 19 Riot Posts

Izzabelle asked me to come post in the thread citing that there were some accusations that we had stolen his Quinn idea and made her into Vi. So, obviously Pabro, Griftrix, Ames and Zeronis have commented in here verifying that so.. uh.. here I am to veri-verify.

Champions tend to take a long time to marinate, especially depending on which vector they come in from. Sometimes a champion spawns because there's a particular character archetype that exists in the world and we want to harness the trope for League of Legends. That character then goes up and we start ideating on it. Creative guys, game designers, and artists all get together to "cultivate" it and make the concept into something workable. Vi's a good example of this. As Pabro states she started off pretty vastly different and then evolved. She actually had roller skates at one point.

Other champions are directly inspired by art that pops up by one of our artists. Nami and Diana are good examples of this. Artists produce an image that other people latch onto and it's fleshed out with creative aspects and mechanics.

Other times, game designers might come up with a kit that has some real traction. I'd give you an example but it's 4am and my brain is the consistency of sour milk at the moment.

That being said, these processes take months, sometimes years in extreme cases. Everything from a story not really coming together to a particular piece of technology might block something from being created properly. So yeah, not much really to worry about if anyone's afraid that we found this thread and cannibalized it. What DID happen was when I saw this thread I nearly spit up my home-made Italian soda. Vi was waaaaay into production, including her skin and BOOM. Izzabelle's thread. I flipped out a bit and couldn't help but laugh. Sometimes the stars align like that.

When I first saw this thread it was already getting some traction, and I KNEW it'd be back on the front page when Vi came out. Griftrix had forwarded me to the thread and I commented briefly. As I was perusing it later I noticed that on page 56. gypsylord came in and mentioned that Quinn is pretty cool. Well.. yeah.. you probably understand why he thought it was so cool now, and why I followed up by saying I knew he'd like it. I was amazed at the sheer amount of coincidence, especially since Quinn even shares similarities with Vi's launch skin. It was incredible. We obviously all pull from common tropes, i think that's pretty cool.

I don't remember where I was going with this at all.. but yeah, Quinn is awesome, Vi is awesome. Everything is awesome.

To speak to Izzabelle's aspirations: where you are is a great start. Zeronis already spoke to this, but a lot of what makes an artist is mileage. Mileage is the easiest part. What isn't easy is creativity, originality, or ideas. You can't really learn to be creative in my opinion. You can always learn the craft, it's nearly impossible to learn to be clever.

The best piece of advice I can provide is simply to say draw all the time. Like.. ALL.. the time. Learn how form is represented in space. The foundational components of perspective, anatomy, and understanding form are your pillars. You want to be able to visually communicate objects that can translate into three-dimensional products. The better you understand how to transpose the 3D to the 2D the easier you'll be able to communicate. Rendering, color, value, all of that stuff should be built on a solid understanding of how objects operate in space and how to communicate that through drawing.

The reason I say drawing is the place to spend most of your time is because, as someone once said to me, you can never save a crummy drawing with a beautiful painting. This is especially true with concept art. High caliber rendering is useless without the solid communication of design through drawing of form. You can't build a house on a shaky foundation, and you can't paint on top of a structually flawed drawing.

Take things once piece at a time. I'd like to see you produce a number of designs that are just focused on a tight drawing rather than include any value or rendering. In an ideal world you should be able to communicate everything you want to with line. Value and color are just the communication of materials after a certain point. Focus on the structure and not too much on the surface.

Hopefully that makes sense. Right now I think you should seek out artists who's methods of drawing speak to you most. Wait to dive into rendering and color until you're feeling some mastery of form. You're in a great place, you have great designs, you have an understanding of 3D form and space when you do turnarounds of characters like you're doing. Solidify that knowledge then take the next step. You should be able to say pretty much everything you want with a drawing. Color and texture treatment are the icing on the cake.

The best part of all of this is that you've done the hard part. Your creativity is limitless. You can rest easy knowing that you'll only get stronger from here!

Vanille

12-08-2012

Izzebelle, please make a Lux skin.

QuodED

12-08-2012

Upvote the parrot

Rizzalliss

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzabelle View Post
That's the dream isn't it?
I understand this all too well, my friend. Graphic design and 3D modeling/animation are some things that I really want to study for the purposes of getting my imagination into color. I have thought, on several occasions, how awesome it would be to get to work on character design for Riot.

Izzabelle

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Izzabelle asked me to come post in the thread citing that there were some accusations that we had stolen his Quinn idea and made her into Vi. So, obviously Pabro, Griftrix, Ames and Zeronis have commented in here verifying that so.. uh.. here I am to veri-verify.

Champions tend to take a long time to marinate, especially depending on which vector they come in from. Sometimes a champion spawns because there's a particular character archetype that exists in the world and we want to harness the trope for League of Legends. That character then goes up and we start ideating on it. Creative guys, game designers, and artists all get together to "cultivate" it and make the concept into something workable. Vi's a good example of this. As Pabro states she started off pretty vastly different and then evolved. She actually had roller skates at one point.

Other champions are directly inspired by art that pops up by one of our artists. Nami and Diana are good examples of this. Artists produce an image that other people latch onto and it's fleshed out with creative aspects and mechanics.

Other times, game designers might come up with a kit that has some real traction. I'd give you an example but it's 4am and my brain is the consistency of sour milk at the moment.

That being said, these processes take months, sometimes years in extreme cases. Everything from a story not really coming together to a particular piece of technology might block something from being created properly. So yeah, not much really to worry about if anyone's afraid that we found this thread and cannibalized it. What DID happen was when I saw this thread I nearly spit up my home-made Italian soda. Vi was waaaaay into production, including her skin and BOOM. Izzabelle's thread. I flipped out a bit and couldn't help but laugh. Sometimes the stars align like that.

When I first saw this thread it was already getting some traction, and I KNEW it'd be back on the front page when Vi came out. Griftrix had forwarded me to the thread and I commented briefly. As I was perusing it later I noticed that on page 56. gypsylord came in and mentioned that Quinn is pretty cool. Well.. yeah.. you probably understand why he thought it was so cool now, and why I followed up by saying I knew he'd like it. I was amazed at the sheer amount of coincidence, especially since Quinn even shares similarities with Vi's launch skin. It was incredible. We obviously all pull from common tropes, i think that's pretty cool.

I don't remember where I was going with this at all.. but yeah, Quinn is awesome, Vi is awesome. Everything is awesome.

To speak to Izzabelle's aspirations: where you are is a great start. Zeronis already spoke to this, but a lot of what makes an artist is mileage. Mileage is the easiest part. What isn't easy is creativity, originality, or ideas. You can't really learn to be creative in my opinion. You can always learn the craft, it's nearly impossible to learn to be clever.

The best piece of advice I can provide is simply to say draw all the time. Like.. ALL.. the time. Learn how form is represented in space. The foundational components of perspective, anatomy, and understanding form are your pillars. You want to be able to visually communicate objects that can translate into three-dimensional products. The better you understand how to transpose the 3D to the 2D the easier you'll be able to communicate. Rendering, color, value, all of that stuff should be built on a solid understanding of how objects operate in space and how to communicate that through drawing.

The reason I say drawing is the place to spend most of your time is because, as someone once said to me, you can never save a crummy drawing with a beautiful painting. This is especially true with concept art. High caliber rendering is useless without the solid communication of design through drawing of form. You can't build a house on a shaky foundation, and you can't paint on top of a structually flawed drawing.

Take things once piece at a time. I'd like to see you produce a number of designs that are just focused on a tight drawing rather than include any value or rendering. In an ideal world you should be able to communicate everything you want to with line. Value and color are just the communication of materials after a certain point. Focus on the structure and not too much on the surface.

Hopefully that makes sense. Right now I think you should seek out artists who's methods of drawing speak to you most. Wait to dive into rendering and color until you're feeling some mastery of form. You're in a great place, you have great designs, you have an understanding of 3D form and space when you do turnarounds of characters like you're doing. Solidify that knowledge then take the next step. You should be able to say pretty much everything you want with a drawing. Color and texture treatment are the icing on the cake.

The best part of all of this is that you've done the hard part. Your creativity is limitless. You can rest easy knowing that you'll only get stronger from here!
Thanks for taking the time to post, Parrot.

I just wanted to set the story straight. I do not believe Riot stole Quinn at all. I don't think I should be compensated in any way for similarities either. My work was based on a community need (a fist fighter type), and I made Quinn for it. It's easy to see that Riot too was building Vi out of a community need for this type of character. It's true that the similarities are pretty outstanding -- but it really is just a happy coincidence.

And thanks for the support, Parrot. Art is kind of looked down upon in my social circles, and it helps to know that I'm on the right path. Like I was telling Zeronis -- I'm set on improving, and wont stop until I've accomplished my goals.