Help with Jungle Mundo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodseek

01-09-2012

I've been jungling as mundo recently and I find it very fun and actually works really well.

My runes are

8 Attack speed marks = 14% asp
1 armor pen mark and 3 armor pen quints = 12 armor pen
9 flat armor seals = 13 armor
9 CDR/lvl glyphs (all i have for glyphs) = 8.62% CDR

My Masteries are 9/21/0 taking the bonus attack speed and 10% armor pen and all the bonus health as well as bladed armor in the defensive tree

I start with a regen pendant and one potion.

My skill order is E-W-E-Q

My route is wolves, blue, wraiths, wolves, red, golems. and by then I'm lvl 4. If I want to go a little safer I go blue, wolves, wraiths, golems, red, wraiths, wolves and by then I'm lvl 4 with a little extra cash then my normal route.

After my route I go back to get boots and start ganking. I open with Q for the slow and damage and then turn on W and E and start hacking away. Ganks are quite easy on him. After level 6, he becomes amazing at ganking due to his ultimate.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can improve. Runes, masteries, route, anything. Thanks for any and all constructive advice

breadbocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

no

just... no

Cenerae

01-09-2012

The only way you could potentially improve your route is to abuse burning agony's aoe to clear quickly. It is of course, extremely risky to do.

Honestly though, jungling Mundo is a crapshoot. If you miss the cleaver you fail the gank. He actually has a strong laning phase, so I'd rather do that than pray I can hit the cleavers for ganking.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

Mundo is actually a fairly bad jungler. I hate to **** on your parade and if you find it enjoyable by all means, continue.
BUT, you should know that he really is a bad champion and particularly bad jungler. Why?

1) His passive is pretty weak. 0.3% per second health regen. Well with 600 health, that is 1.8 health per second or 9 HP/5 for free. By itself this isn't all that bad. But its not as good as you might think.

2) Not having a mana bar is a BAD THING. See, most champs have a mana bar which powers their abilities...instead of using health. Normally they run OOM quickly, but thanks to BLUE BUFF this does not occur and they can spam away. This lasts until they get a Wriggles or some other method of clearing quickly. Basically, they have a free resource bar that you do not.

3) He has no AoE which is a bummer. Even good junglers like Warwick are considered less good nowdays since AoE is more useful for quickly clearing creeps rather than being able to beat up 1 really tough dude while sustaining yourself. Hence the new jungle is actually WORSE for Mundo since his cleaver just isn't as awesome at killing really difficult creeps as before. (not counting awful burning agony which is grossly inefficient)

4) No gap closer. Mundo's ganks aren't that good. He has no speed booster pre-6, and his Slow is a skillshot. He has no real burst damage. Yeah he CAN gank, but he isn't nearly as good as most other junglers. I mean, if you have to rely on a skillshot, Id rather one that kicks ass like Lee Sin or Blitzcrank even.

5) He doesn't have a role. Tanky DPS usually goes Top Solo now. You probably don't want another tanky DPS in the jungle because you now have an AP carry, AD carry and support slot. Wheres your tank? Unless you have Alistar bot, you usually want your tank to jungle, or solo top.

As for your setup:

Burning agony is really terrible. You take SO MUCH DAMAGE for the small amount you deal out.
Id consider starting with Cleaver instead. A cleaver vs a big monster like blue or wolf or red or 2golem deals 15% of their health, so those first 2 cleavers really hurt! Id toss a few cleavers at the BIG monster while autoattacking the SMALL monsters to take best advantage of this.
Cleaver hit costs same as masochism at rank 1 and will probably deal more damage for the first few hits.
At the least, Cleaver will be much more useful during ganking as you can toss that extra damage at them at range (vs ranking masochism)

Flat armor seals are good.
CDR/level blue is alright...though Id expect more than 8.62%. My 9 flats give 6%...maybe youve got a few lower level ones.

You can actually see the badness of Mundo in your post. After you jungle, you have to go BACK, get boots, THEN gank? Thats at the 5 min mark. Nowdays, junglers try to gank at level 2 and 3, and if they do stay till 4, they never go B. But mundo sucks, so his health will be low.
You could try cloth+5 pots to allow you to gank earlier. Boots+3 might work too if thats enough sustain which I kind of doubt.

Bloodseek

01-09-2012

In the normal games I played last night, ganking was a breeze and landing cleavers was even easier.

As for burning agony, I turn it on for only a few ticks of damage because it really stacks up the damage when being beat up by jungle monsters.

Next time I jungle as him I'll post a clear time, It was around average clear time for a mid tier jungler.

[edit]

Thanks for your help. I can see how it's more gimmicky than anything. Thanks again. ^_^

NoGLm

01-10-2012

jungle mundo is real fast, and i dont think udyr, shyvana ganks are better than him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4F2pgLZt4E

Ruffian

01-25-2012

How do the recent buffs help mundo in the jungle?