How do I convince my friend that...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pudding Sundae

11-05-2012

Rushing void staff on malzahar or any apc is really, REALLY bad? :c

Every game he plays as malz it's the first thing he rushes after sorc's and a doran's, and THEN he goes for RoA. He ends up losing a lane that he could easily win because of this, I also kinda wish he understood the significance of building situationally instead of following one static build blindly each game, but I can't get that to him if I can't even get him to not rush a pure dmg item that isn't very effective early game. I mean, if he really wanted mpen he could go with a haunting guise.

Jayshinn

11-05-2012

Uh... Why don't you show him videos of some professional players?
Or you can tell him Magic Penetration is useless without AP....

Dry Ace

11-05-2012

Penetration sucks if you have nothing to penetrate with!

Mambazo

11-05-2012

Be more convincing? If he's just determined not to listen, don't play with him if he's gonna play malz :3

Enfillyon

11-05-2012

you should prove it by example and lane against each other in a practice game

the alternative is to give a long drawn out explanation involving math about why you shouldnt do it
writing it on paper works to. lol

jmgr4y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

He's wasting his time with sorc shoes.

Tell him to get merc treads then void staff if he MUST rush void staff

Mambazo

11-05-2012

If you can get him to play just a few games where he rushes his Rod, gets a deathcap, THEN gets his void, he'll see the results, the boost in his damage, and he'll be converted.

Pudding Sundae

11-05-2012

Thx guys, I'll try, but he's so stubborn. x.x

IGotCareless2

11-06-2012

Explain that when the other laner only has the default 30 MR, or maybe ~50 from runes, Void staff, Sorc Shoes, and the Magic Pen Mastery brings them down to ~5 or ~16 MR, whereas just boots and the mastery takes them down to ~9 or ~27. Not a huge difference, and he's spending gold for just 70 AP, when he could be getting 60 AP, a super-Catalyst, and an additional 20 AP, 180 HP, and 200 Mana over 10 minutes for 1000 more gold.

Bloodstaindewok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Sundae, hopefully I can shed some light on their thinking. I didn't start playing AP/Mage style champs until after level 15 and this caused a problem when I finally did. I went into playing them with a mentality that it was essentially the same thing as AD only with different stat names. This couldn't have been a more incorrect assumption and nobody I played with bothered to correct it, which left me to figure it out the hard way. Somebody up top said penetration is nothing without something to penetrate with. True, but maybe this would help them to see the error of their ways. Void Staff and practically all penetration gear is primarily situational in the sense that if they enemy champ has low MD or isn't building that type of item, then essentially they become useless. It's far better to build them only as needed and spend all other gold on things that matter (RoA, Death Cap, etc.) because without AP the caster is generally neutered. Essentially the flaw to their approach lies in the fact that they never have an answer for what the enemy is building. The enemy gets all the benefit of building off of them while they get none. Do they sell their items at certain points of the game? (i.e. switching out non-scale items for better ones past a certain level)