Should per win IP boosts give the same IP across all maps and modes?

Yes 68 73.12%
No 25 26.88%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

(Poll) Should Per Win IP Boosts Give the Same IP Across All Maps and Modes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enceph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

11-05-2012

So last week Riot generously gave out 10 win IP boosts to all active summoners when they won several GDC awards.

The problem is that all maps and modes aren't equal when it comes to the amount of bonus IP given out per boosted win. The League of Legends Wiki has a table summarizing the different values (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Boost), but in short you can get as little as 60 bonus IP for winning a Crystal Scar Co-op game and as much as 166 bonus IP for winning a ranked Summoner's Rift game.

Knowing this, it feels like IP boosts are wasted when playing the lower value maps. I like playing Custom ARAMs with my friends but I feel like I can't until I get rid of all my IP boosts winning Classic games. We should all be able to play the map and mode we enjoy the most without feeling punished for it, but the way IP boosts are set up gets in the way of that.

The simple solution to this problem is to make IP boosts give the same amount of bonus IP per win across all maps and modes (maybe 150 IP).

TL;DR The amount of IP obtained from per win boosts varies between the different maps and modes. Should Riot standardize boosted IP so it's the same across all maps and modes?

SmashCapital

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-05-2012

I have the same issue with my friends and ARAM games!

p0tat0pancakes

11-05-2012

Either this or the option to disable them.

Enceph

Senior Recruiter

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tat0pancakes View Post
Either this or the option to disable them.
Yes, this is another option. If you could temporarily turn off IP boosts when you're playing ARAMs or co-op and then turn them back on when playing Classics you could maximize your IP gains. However, I see a few potential problems with this solution:

1. Turning IP boosts on and off would be annoying to keep track of and people could make mistakes. You wouldn't be happy If you forgot to turn off your boost before playing ARAM, for example. Also, when IP boosts are given out by Riot you don't always notice they're there and you might fail to turn them off until after you've already won a low value game.

2. There are some people who don't like PvP or don't like ranked and play co-op vs ai or normals exclusively. They'd still be forced to either play a different mode or not get as much IP.

3. I assume that this solution would be harder to implement because it requires changes to the user interface. New buttons would have to be added to pvp.net to turn IP boosts on and off.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It's good to consider all the options.

xSoul

11-05-2012

Or have the ability to make it so it doesn't boost and count into your custom games. Zzz, I think that this would be a better solution but still your idea is quite interesting. (Turn off and on your boosts)

EDIT: Sorry I did not see the other post, but this is a good point.

Fenomenom

11-05-2012

My bonus IP for every win on summoners rift is 125. I havn't played any co -op games yet, but I had always assumed a per win IP boost always grants 125 on summoners rift.

Yndyr

11-05-2012

No matter how much it is, it's still more ip than you would otherwise be receiving. If you want to maximize your IP rewards, then stick to playing the modes that give the most IP. Especially in the case of the free IP boosts they give on occasions. Is your sense of entitlement so bad that you have the nerve to say "No, I want more!"

Ultimately though, I can't honestly say "I don't want more IP", but I don't see a need to change the way the system works. Don't forget that longer games aresuppose to give more IP. Granting the same IP someone gets from an hour long game mode to someone who has only played for 15 minutes doesn't really seem fair either, now does it?

Also, I doubt Riot will ever implement something like this because it will lead to IP farming using these boosts. It's the same logic they used when making a second player a requirement to get IP in custom games.

Enceph

Senior Recruiter

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yndyr View Post
If you want to maximize your IP rewards, then stick to playing the modes that give the most IP.
This is the exact problem I'm trying to point out. The desire to maximize IP rewards from the boost is causing people to have less fun. Either you stick to your favourite low value mode and you're a little annoyed at the end of each game that some of your IP boost is wasted, or you switch to playing modes that give the biggest IP boosts but you don't enjoy as much.

Quote:
Granting the same IP someone gets from an hour long game mode to someone who has only played for 15 minutes doesn't really seem fair either, now does it?
Per win boosts already work this way. It doesn't matter if your Summoner's Rift game is a 15 minute roflstomp or a 60 minute CLG EU-style win, the amount of IP you get per win is the same. However, a 15 minute Summoner's Rift game gives more IP boost than a 60 minute ARAM game.

Quote:
Also, I doubt Riot will ever implement something like this because it will lead to IP farming using these boosts.
I think you may be confusing time-based and win-based boosts. Time-based boosts, like 1 day IP boosts, double the base amount of IP received for any win or loss. Win based boosts give a flat amount of IP after a win. If time-based boosts gave 150 IP after every game, yes, they could be exploited for IP farming, but I am suggesting a change to win-based boosts only.

Sometimes Riot has double IP weekends and it's fine that hardcore players playing normal and ranked games all day and night get the most out of them. Time-based IP boosts were designed for hardcore players.

Win-based IP boosts were created as an alternative to time-based IP boosts for people who don't have time to play for an entire day or weekend to maximize their IP gains. They're designed for the casual player to get increased IP playing whatever and whenever they want. The purpose of this thread is to point out the disconnect between what per win IP boosts were designed to do and what they're actually doing. Right now win-based IP boosts are causing casual players to have less fun and this needs to be fixed.

Enceph

Senior Recruiter

11-07-2012

I'm curious to hear from people who are voting "no."

Is the concern that people who use up all their IP boost in ranked will earn less IP? Or is it a fear that this could be exploited? I think I've adequately addressed concerns raised so far that this change could be exploited, but please let me know if you have an issue that I haven't responded to.