Champion AMAs returning

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kitae

Lead Designer

11-05-2012
4 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyj101 View Post
Neat. Perhaps ya'll will start answering criticism as well as praise now too.
We answer questions. Saying "I don't like X" is not a question.

In champion AMAs we pick questions that when answered improves the understanding of who the champion is. Typically more negative questions don't get picked because usually they are bringing in non-champion issues, or saying "I don't like this champion's story" in a round about way (which is not a question about the champion).

We do want to hear when feedback (positive or negative) but phrasing feedback as a question will not get you an answer.

kitae

Lead Designer

11-05-2012
5 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongeo View Post
Why did he join the league!
We used to give one liners explaining why champions joined the league. These one liners didn't really give any new information on the champion, and they weren't stories, they were one liners.

No more one liners.

Champion bios are stories, so we're going to focus on telling a great story.

I understand that players appreciate facts, and old-format bios did contain more facts, we are exploring other ways of getting facts to players outside of the bio.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

Hi kitae!

I was just wondering why all those chapters upon chapters of League smut I sent over weren't in the client yet. As the newly-elected president of.... something, I'm pretty sure those Renekton/Ahri fics are canon. Actually they were canon already, I just want to show the world how pure and freaky our love is.

Please regard.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
we are exploring other ways of getting facts to players outside of the bio.
Champion interactions in-game would go a long way towards this goal.

Also a weekly comic, too. Just saying.

In fact, I'll whip up a quick storyboard for one. Do you know which one of the artists is the most familiar with crocodile man and fox girl anatomy?

BelligerentGnu

11-05-2012

Quote:
We used to give one liners explaining why champions joined the league. These one liners didn't really give any new information on the champion, and they weren't stories, they were one liners.

No more one liners.

I understand that players appreciate facts, and old-format bios did contain more facts, we are exploring other ways of getting facts to players outside of the bio.
I always find it surprising how much work seems to go in to things like 3 paragraph bios - it all feels very 'iceberg' right now.

kitae

Lead Designer

11-05-2012
6 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post
Hi kitae!

I was just wondering why all those chapters upon chapters of League smut I sent over weren't in the client yet. As the newly-elected president of.... something, I'm pretty sure those Renekton/Ahri fics are canon. Actually they were canon already, I just want to show the world how pure and freaky our love is.

Please regard.
To whom it may concern.

Renekton Bot and Shyvana are, like, officially dating. Ahri thinks he's kind of gross. Scales...ewww....

Zerglinator

11-05-2012

Quote:
To whom it may concern.

Renekton Bot and Shyvana are, like, officially dating. Ahri thinks he's kind of gross. Scales...ewww....
Oh god

What have you done

Amathris

11-05-2012

Quote:
This is very encouraging to hear. Awesome.

With regards to reasons for champions joining the League, I think the desire for that specific info is rooted in something deeper than just a general appreciation of facts. Riot has put a lot of effort into getting players invested in the idea that we inhabit the roles of summoners in the League. We have summoner levels and summoner spells to reflect that in gameplay. At the Season 2 championship, teams competed to win the Summoner's Cup. The community creations feature is called the Summoner Showcase. A decent number of official announcements even start with: "Summoners!"

So, when a new champion is introduced, we want to know why they've joined the League because that's how they're connected to our role as summoners. The question doesn't keep coming up out of pure nostalgia for a time when bios had throwaway one-liners about joining the league. It's because not having that information leaves a gap in our experience as players that's much bigger than a single line.

maxterdexter

11-05-2012

Quote:

No more one liners.

But... I like facts. Not as substitute of a story, but facts were nice. The judgments allowed both a story and a fact. Also, you said Facts a lot.

The first parragraph is "this is a general description of the champion, what the announcer of the match would tell of him"
The second parragraph is "this is what the fanclub of the champion would say, the popular stories that surround the champion"
The propossed third parragrap, the judgment is "what I, the champion think about me, and my reasons to do this"

My guess is that you were trying to lay off the first person aspect of the judgments, as some champions that bring mistery, intrigue or secrets to the league could potentialy lose their cualities, or stop being "and this champion fooled the league" and reducing the relative power of the great council, but for that we lost the insight to tortured souls, and a new dimension to some of the more flat characters.

What brougth me to the league instead of the other mobas was that the characters were colorfull and varied, both in apareance and personality, and that the setting made a logical sense, it isn't the same battle for the end of the world being fought once and again and again and again, it's many battles being fought for a wide variety of reasons, the same motivation of the player.

When the judgments started it was closer to being a real summoner, as you understood more of the champion. And if you build up a line with a whole story behind it, and it's spoken from the heart of the character, it isn't cheap, or just a fact, is the core of their being.

So, a question, will you address the lores of the ninja trio soon? Half of each of them is the introduction to the Kinkou, I hope that you don't split them up.

What shape is Runeterra?

Do the other continents had issues with magic? At least by Olaf's lore we can get that in Lockfar the "mages" were pretty despised, and magic wasn't mainstream.

Does the shadow isles now count as a city state for the league? What about the Rakkor?

Also, does the league prevents champions with vendetas to "take care" of each other outside matches?

Do champions have to be at the institute of war (or summoner rift, the crystal scar, the shadow isles, or murderbridge) for a match, or they are "summoned" for the match from let's say the Noxian high comand chair?

webbut

11-05-2012

Quote:
Actually, no, the AMAs on reddit went very well. We like talking with all our players. I'm sure we will do more reddit AMAs in the future.
Hey are you also going to do it on the forums? We non reddit users felt left out cause the last AMA was Reddit exclusive which is kind of BS(for lack of a better term)

1234567 ... 10