Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Best top bruisers?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Man

11-05-2012

Currently I like to play Singed/Yorick and AD Nid (Just started her) in top lane and I sometimes play ryze mid. I feel like I need more champs though since 3 isn't very much. However, most of them are 6300IP and I'm out of refunds so what ones should I buy first?

I play top 90% of the time

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-05-2012

Garen, Poppy, Kayle are not necessarily great top laners, but they are top lane bruisers and they only cost 450 IP each.

Malphite and Jax are some of the best top laners in the game, and they're 1350 each. Other 1350 top laners include: Nasus, Tryndamere, Warwick, Sion, Singed, Dr. Mundo, and Cho'gath.

So there's a good list of a handful of cheap top laners.

As for some of the best top lane bruisers?

Well, Jax is THE best in my opinion.

Others worth trying out:

Malphite, Shen, Olaf, Jayce, Darius, Rengar, Riven, and Lee Sin.

Friesguy

11-05-2012

Jax is cheap, and is a ridiculously amazing champ.

JRiMi

11-05-2012

Jax is good. Irelia I think is underplayed BC she can contribute alot to the team. Rumble or Vlad to have an AP top. Malphite is good for counterpicking.

Paradox Pancake

11-05-2012

Riven is a nice solo top because she doesn't have any hard counters. The only one that comes close to countering her is Olaf, and she can still fight with him if push came to shove.

Yorick is a monster at top because of his poke and sustain. His only counters are Trundle, which very few people play, and Cho'gath if they can time his last hits to proc his passive on Yorick's ghouls to sustain themselves.

Jax is cheap. He has his counters like Teemo and other AP Tops, but he's a good champ to learn top with.

Malphite is a wall and really hard to push out of lane. He contributes a ton to a team with his initiate.

I don't play enough of Jayce to comment on him, but people still play him ever since the downgrades and he still seems solid from what I've seen.

I still play Warwick at top at times. His Q is a good sustain and he has a decent trade, but more of the popular solo tops can out trade him, like some of the ones above. Still, he's good at shutting down carries in team fights when he has to

Edit: If you like counterpicking, you can always go with AP Teemo at top (Don't do on-hit Teemo), Vladimir, or Kennen.

Azerax53

11-05-2012

Quote:
Paradox Pancake:
Riven is a nice solo top because she doesn't have any hard counters. The only one that comes close to countering her is Olaf, and she can still fight with him if push came to shove.

Yorick is a monster at top because of his poke and sustain. His only counters are Trundle, which very few people play, and Cho'gath if they can time his last hits to proc his passive on Yorick's ghouls to sustain themselves.

Jax is cheap. He has his counters like Teemo and other AP Tops, but he's a good champ to learn top with.

Malphite is a wall and really hard to push out of lane. He contributes a ton to a team with his initiate.

I don't play enough of Jayce to comment on him, but people still play him ever since the downgrades and he still seems solid from what I've seen.

Jayce is one of the best Buiser even still with the little nerf he got last patch. He can poke the hell out of top and push the lane like crazy. Yorick is a good counter to a lot of main top laners.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-05-2012

I'd actually argue that Rammus is a pretty hard counter to Riven. But Rammus indeed is a pretty rare pick.

M4sterJ0e

11-05-2012

I like Olaf as a top bruiser. He's one of the few champs that can deal true damage as a regular, spammable ability. Plus his ult grants him 7 seconds of immunity from slows and disables, while passively giving him 10-30 armor penetration. He also has high natural movement speed and only needs to build health for both durability and damage, making his builds consistent no matter the team comp he's fighting against.

Only downside to Olaf is that he can get easily kited, as he doesn't have any hard CC or gap closers. He also costs 3150 IP, as opposed to some of the cheaper champs suggested in this thread.

EDIT: He does have the Brolaf skin though, and that's pretty OP.

ZeOverlord

Recruiter

11-05-2012

I think the best top bruiser is Darius after your LV 6, you have 3 kills and you have a tower down because he can clean up an "almost death" with his ult.... Also if your fed, you have more damage with your q....

Hope I Helped!

Rift Xlax

04-04-2013

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
I'd actually argue that Rammus is a pretty hard counter to Riven. But Rammus indeed is a pretty rare pick.

He is rare but he is underrated at top in my opinion