Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Before I play Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tazlow

11-05-2012

Hello all, just a quick question before I hop into rank. Would like to get at least a couple under my belt so I know what is to come in S3.

For starters, I mostly only play normals/custom games, I've never played ranked. How important is Normal Draft mode as far as transition is concerned between blind picks and ranked?

I imagine I should do at least 10+ games in normal draft mode before I think about rank.
I have narrowed down my preferred roles to Support, Tank, or ADC. I want to learn jungle, it just seems like it's a very under appreciated and overly stressful role to take on. My mid lane skills are mediocre at best, which is also an area I need to improve.

What else can I do to prepare myself for Ranked play?
(Yes, I know I need more/better rune pages as well, I'm working on that! :P )

Thank you in advance.

Bus Driver

11-05-2012

No one takes normal draft seriously because its normal, you're probably better off doing blind pick

Arinthe

11-05-2012

Normally I'd say rack up a few more normal wins, but its the end of the season, so have at it. I didn't do draft before I did ranked, but it would have helped some. I'd say 2-3 draft games, just to get used to the picking.

Try to play your best role. Don't do anything you are new at, if possible. Let your team know, in champion select, what you are best at and what you'd prefer to play. Buy some wards, no matter what position. Focus on creep score. Don't psych yourself out, just play normally.

KillSwitch427

11-05-2012

Play normal draft, to learn the process and how people handle things. But honestly, just play ranked when you want. Its not the end of the world if you go on a 10 game losing streak. Your elo is nothing more than a number that helps match you with similar skilled teammates and opponents. If you play a lot it will get better. Don't worry about it too much. Also, both support and jungles are under appreciated, so if you get really good at those roles (and actually ask for them) you will get elo easily while most people fight for top, mid and adc.

Insharai

11-05-2012

I watched a few of the pro games before i started doing ranked. Just know 2-3 spots, and have a few champions of varying play style in each spot. The link below is a good way to get an idea of who has an advantage over who, but in the end it's up to you. Also, having a dual partner helps out A LOT. http://lolcounter.com/

The Legend Of

11-05-2012

you may want a few more games, but as far as blindpick V draft in normals, there really isnt a huge difference. if anything, blindpick is better because it gives you practice vs unfavorable/strange matchups that let you learn how to play from a disadvantage, vs a certain champ that you generally wouldnt want to lane against, etc.

as far as roles go, tank isnt a lane, it can be done from almost any lane so you may want to specify that a bit. ad carry is generally pretty easy to manage to carry at least your first few games with, as long as you can cs well/safely, and dont tunnelvision on kills and die in the process. Supporting at lower elo is a bit harder as the ad's youll support for are either hit or miss, and sometimes youll be wishing you were the adcarry insteadd of the otherperson.

as for jungling, i have a lot of friends that have just mained jungle and gotten to plat without being able to lane what so ever. jungle is especially nice because a- it lets you have an influence over the entire map, b- its not as often that people call jungle so you can generally get that without to much competition, and c- is itll let you have a better idea over who actually needs help in their lanes etc which prevents your team for spiraling downwards if one lane gets an advantage on the otherteam.