My first ranked game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

goofman865865

11-04-2012

trust me i know that feeling were everyone u r good with get banned :/

Another Lee Sin

11-04-2012

This is to all new level 30s wanting to try out ranked but dont know how to start.

It was very difficult for me as well, only knowing one role confidently but the truth is, everyone you will get matched with is in your shoes as well. Just make sure you have a decent champion pool (40 or more) and have some experience with atleast 2 of each role with one or two roles you know you can do well in. When you get into champion selection and you are planning to play a commonly banned champion (Shen, Morgana, Alistar, Amumu, Shaco, Blitzcrank, etc), ask your first pick politely not to ban that champion. Always check to see your position on the team. The most common priority of role selection goes down the line. For example, summoner #1 and summoner #3 want to play mid. In a perfect world, summoner #1 would get mid and summoner #3 would choose another role. This is not always the case. You will have to deal with trolls that must be a specific role/champion. This is why it's very important to be profecient at all roles and try to balance your team as best as possible.

To sum up this article, you can be ready for your first ranked games by being knowledgable, flexible, and by considering your team's needs.

Friesguy

11-04-2012

I have a few friend who play ranked, and they all gree you should have 400 wins on your belt with a positive W/L ratio before considering going for ranked, They've told me I'd have to be good with at least three champs in each role.

Lachdanøn

11-16-2012

I'm curious, what are your 3 jungling options?

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condescend View Post
I just hit 30 last night and have been contemplating testing out a ranked game, but I fear the same will happen. I am best at Jungle/Support with about 6 different champs in total but worry that I won't get them. I am thinking I should wait and get some more practice in before I go and piss people off in ranked.
Yes. Wait. People who go into ranked thinking "I can play these 4 X heroes in this one X role" piss me off. suddenly, someone takes your top lane, and you've now screwed us over because you're utterly incompetent in the other four roles. Bam, -40 Elo.

MaximusEvil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belrick View Post
Called Jungle...

set myself up and went and got a beer.

Came back just before my pick and found.

All three junglers i could play/have practiced/had a plan for had all been banned.(bet you can guess which three)

I became our teams second ADC since the only other champ ive player SR on is tristana.

How do people starting out cope with champ bans ruining their first second and third choices? Should i have more champ variation under my belt before playing ranked?

Or just go screw it and pick and oddball jungler? (my teams lanes had already been chosen)
Learn atleast 15-20 champions, and make sure to check out the SR tier list for good suggestions on which Champions to pick, and learn.

Try every position so you can always fill in, remember even the pros learn every position.

Grollm

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belrick View Post
Called Jungle...

set myself up and went and got a beer.

Came back just before my pick and found.

All three junglers i could play/have practiced/had a plan for had all been banned.(bet you can guess which three)

I became our teams second ADC since the only other champ ive player SR on is tristana.

How do people starting out cope with champ bans ruining their first second and third choices? Should i have more champ variation under my belt before playing ranked?

Or just go screw it and pick and oddball jungler? (my teams lanes had already been chosen)
Listen bro, it's not fair to you or to your team for you to go into ranked and not be able to step into every role comfortably. I am not the best solo top or adc, but I am comfortable enough that if I have to go into those roles I can, and at least if I don't get kills I know I won't feed the lane and I can last hit pretty well. Get good in normals first, like REALLY good in normals. I know there is a huge skill difference between normals and ranked, but just play your best, always buy wards when you go back to base, keep control of dragon, and ward, ward, WARD and you will win. If you get into ranked when you're not ready you will end up being at the bottom of the barrel elo and you will never be able to get out because even if you are doing amazing, your are playing with the bottom of the barrel players and they will most likely cost you the game. Trust me I know, I did the same you did last year, I thought I was a good player, I dominated normals and I jumped into ranked way too early and I got my face caved in. Try to have at least 3 champs in each position that you can play comfortably AND try to play every champ at least twice, that way you have an idea of how that champ works, their range etc, so you know how to play against them. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I just don't want anyone else to go through what I went through last season and I am still feeling the backlash, because even though I've improved my play 10x from last season, people look at your previous season's elo and think you're bad. Hopefully this helps.

Quexana

11-16-2012

I go for champs that aren't common bans. Udyr was mentioned above. Skarner and Maokai are also rarely banned and are terrific junglers.

Ramachese

11-16-2012

I'm not sure if it helps (level 29 so have not started ranked and won't for a bit yet) but play draft normals to get an idea of what is likely to get banned. I can't imagine (but could be completely wrong in which case I'm sure someone will let me know) the 1100-1200 rankings are far off.

xJochem

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexana View Post
I go for champs that aren't common bans. Udyr was mentioned above. Skarner and Maokai are also rarely banned and are terrific junglers.
I would highly recommend Maokai

Lee Sin, Dr. Mundo, Nunu and Nocturne are good picks that generally don't get banned also.

Shen, Amumu, Alistar and Malphite are good junglers but they have a high chance of getting banned