Should tier 1 & 2 runes be removed and tier 3 runes made available at all levels?

Yes. 1,083 86.16%
No. 174 13.84%
Voters: 1257. You may not vote on this poll

[Petition] Remove tier 1 & 2 runes, Make tier 3 runes available at all levels.

1234511 ... 23
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeedsMoreSoraka

11-04-2012

Tier 1 & 2 runes are noob traps, and they are an IP sink.

They should just be removed from the game, they don't grant enough stats to matter anyways, because you don't have enough rune slots to make use of them, and with the nerf to IP gains its a lot harder to buy tier 3 runes when you can, especially with how many champions there are. (But thats another topic.)

tl;dr: Title.

Please keep the thread bumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Rune
Runes that have already been purchased can't be sold back to the store, but can be combined in the Rune Combiner for a new rune of random stats. Tier 1 and Tier 2 runes do not grant as high bonuses as Tier 3 runes and a player may end up just combining the lower quality runes for Tier 3 runes anyway. Therefore it is wise to save up Influence Points for Tier 3 runes. There are two ways to combine:

Combine five runes to create one random rune of higher tier.
Combine two runes to create one random rune of the same tier. NOTE: It is possible for the Rune Combiner to produce a rune of the exact type as one of the input runes, costing you one rune and gaining you nothing.

It is important to note that you cannot buy a Tier 3 rune before you reach level 20, and that you can acquire random ones for less IP than buying them outright by using the Rune Combiner.

Five "Lesser Seals of Replenishment" cost 75 IP (5 15 IP), while one "Seal of Replenishment" costs 80. This equates to a saving of 5 IP.
Likewise, a combined Tier 3 rune would cost 375 IP (25 15 = 5 75), cheaper than Tier 3 runes of costs from 410 to 2050 IP. This equates to a saving of 35 IP minimum and 1675 IP maximum.
The cheapest Tier 3 rune costs 205. This equates to a 170 IP loss.

Keep in mind that combining 5 runes of one type will not guarantee you a better (Primary) rune of that same type. The Rune Combiner may also give you a Secondary Rune.

It is possible to combine runes to higher tiers and use them freely even if you are too low a level to buy them directly. However, it is not recommended, as most runes aren't that helpful (e.g. destruction runes, which are very specific, or secondary runes), thus the best long term strategy is to start buying them at level 20 and saving up Influence Points before then.

Kim Jong Peel

11-04-2012

I'd say remove Tier 1 and Tier 2, but keep the level 20 requirement on Tier 3 runes. New players shouldn't waste there IP on runes because they wouldn't know which ones are better most of the time. They should expand there champion roster first so that they know which roles they are good at.

xStellar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

+1

NeedsMoreSoraka

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaFakka View Post
I'd say remove Tier 1 and Tier 2, but keep the level 20 requirement on Tier 3 runes. New players shouldn't waste there IP on runes because they wouldn't know which ones are better most of the time. They should expand there champion roster first so that they know which roles they are good at.
When it really comes down to it, there are almost no bad tier 3 runes, only not having a full set is bad.

zztophat

11-04-2012

Tier 1 and 2 runes are a complete waste of ip, tier 2 could very easily be skipped entirely.

Grand Eleven

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaFakka View Post
There is no real lvl20 requirement on the runes .... only on purchasing them.

I found out early that using the run combiner you can upgrade and use t3 runes earlier. I had a random page-o-runes for a long time while I leveled lol.

CryoTyrfing

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreSoraka View Post
When it really comes down to it, there are almost no bad tier 3 runes, only not having a full set is bad.
I think the consensus is that crit damage runes are just a total waste of IP in every mathemtically proven way possible, other runes at least work in situational builds/champs.

I support this.

NeedsMoreSoraka

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Eleven View Post
There is no real lvl20 requirement on the runes .... only on purchasing them.

I found out early that using the run combiner you can upgrade and use t3 runes earlier. I had a random page-o-runes for a long time while I leveled lol.
The problem is it's expensive to do it that way, and the randomness of it.

I think if you just had all (new) players watch the 30 minute stream phreak did explaining his rune pages they would be VASTLY more informed, phreak did a very nice job explaining how to build a rune page and what things should be considered.

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

+1 and a quote supporting your position from one of the best writers/thinkers/designers in competitive gaming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sirlin
If i designed lol i would take runes out or make them all available from level one. (probably with some "default for my character" option not to scare new players with rune system complexity)

Exman33

11-04-2012

no point in tier 1/2

1234511 ... 23