Amumu Counter?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Higgly

11-04-2012

Hi noob here.
I just want to ask if anyone knows a hard counter to Amumu is.
Please take into account that I am a noob and saying things like "proper positioning" "counter jungler" "spreading out" will not help.
So here is where I am having difficulty. Amumu just casually walks in through our bruiser and tank line and tosses his bandage the proceeds to ult AP and AD carrys. Of course our bruiser and tanks are hitting Amumu, but since he is the tank of the team, the other team's dps line melts them while Amumu soaks up damage. Our dps line can't get close to Amumu to focus him down because of his ult. Our team can't even counter initiate because Amumu usually gets oracle and clears wards. Split pushing and not giving the other team a fight is impossible since in most games teams aren't organized enough.
I've tried Janna and Gragas since some website says they are Amumu counters. The truths is their ults only delay the team fight. Neither of them can use their ults in Amumu's ult, and if you use them AFTER the CC duration ends, it's already too late. One or two people are already dead.
So basically I lose every game against Amumu if it goes over 35 minute unless Amumu is the biggest sink hole in the other team. I know it is unwise to ask for help in the General Forum, but it gets the most views.

TL;DR
Give me a champ that hard counters Amumu late game without having to outplay him.

Quirk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

An ADC with cleanse.

gsai

11-04-2012

Lee Sin, oh, you wanted your buffs Amumu? Too bad.

MuffinOfLove

11-04-2012

I am not sure to a counter to amumu besides someone who deals health% damage, but as you already said counter jungling his blue slows him down a lot. amumu really need that blue to be successful in the jungle, take his blue away and it will shut him down pretty hard early game.

Kim Jong Peel

11-04-2012

There isn't a champion that hard counters him late game, but you can shut down his early game to make his late game a lot weaker. Playing champions like Lee sin or Shyvana allow you to take his wraiths, wolves, etc. causing him to end up underleveled. Or you could invade their jungle at level 1 to steal their blue buff which completely screws him over.

Hsuanl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-04-2012

"Our bruiser and tanks are hitting amumu"

that's part of your reason losing

Knock-backs hard-counters amumu, so alistar, janna, gragas, etc.

RowRowFTP

11-04-2012

A) Against Amumu you press early game advantage. Insisting that you work late game leaves no hard counter, since mid-late is where Amumu excels.
B) If you insist on not doing anything to Amumu before midgame, his counter is "positioning". There's no single champion that you can just sink no effort into winning against him. Carries need to learn to stay in the back, and supports/tanks need to learn how to properly zone and peel.
C) I guess you can CC him to buy time while you reposition yourself before he ulties, but that'd be CC you blow on a tank, which is pretty much what carries want.

ninbushido

11-04-2012

Janna and Gragas do work. The trick is, you don't use your CCs with them BEFORE Amumu ultimates. The common thing for an Amumu is to walk into the middle of your team and then use his ultimate. During these two seconds in which your team cannot move nor auto attack, Amumu's team will try to engage upon your team and try to do dish out as much damage as they can. THIS is when you use your ultimates, as Janna, or Gragas. After Amumu uses his ultimate, a good dis-engagement will completely reset the team fight, like mass-scale knock backs such as Gragas' and Janna's, as mentioned. As Janna, you can even dish out more CC by knocking the enemy team as they come to delay them further, and then knocking them all back, while also helping to heal your teammates. If done correctly, Amumu's engagement has been broken, and then for a good chunk of time, Amumu lacks in CC compared to the other tanks, as his single target, thin-skillshot stun won't do much to disrupt your own team.
TL;DR Break Amumu and his team's engagement AFTER he uses his ultimate. So, Janna and Gragas are really good against him.

Pipotchi

11-04-2012

You already stated the two probably best counters, gragas and janna. but I suppose if I was to think of others.. you would want people with percentage based dmg and escapes, such as vayne. she cuts through him quite fast and can push away with E.
You also might want low hp nukers (as opposed to DoT) as this will mean his tears do less damage and his tantrum will not be refreshed by your attacks too much. Someone like veigar fits this, and if amumu q's you and passes through your E he will be stunned as he arrives i believe?

i mean.. this is how i'd probably counter amumu but im sure someone else will disagree.

edit: if youre looking for someone to shut him down, junglers like shyvana will fit the bill. she also has a knockback with her ult which can help to stop amumu's teamfighting. i wouldnt consider shutting down the same thing as countering though

Isterio

11-04-2012

Combine kite with CC. A lategame Ad carry with LW Melts even Amumu within 5 secs if you have a skilled frontrilne they can shut him down before hes able to get close to the carrys.