Malzahar, should I get him?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deathvango

10-04-2010

Hello everyone! I've been debating buying Mazahar for a while now (I almost have enough to buy him), and am not sur whether I should or not. I really wanna buy him cuz he just looks awesome and his skills seem really cool! Though, I've never played against him before so I'm not quite sure whether or not he would be good or not, or how I would go about building him... So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Malzahar is worth buying, or is he actually rather lacking compared to how he's portrayed?

AngryScissors

10-04-2010

He's fun, but I would highly recommend buying a champ who you have played during a free week. 6.3k is a lot to spend on a champ who might turn out not to be what you expected. If you really are set on Malzahar, I would wait for him to show up in another free week to test him.

JazzDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2010

I seriously suggest trying him first, I own malzahar and although I personally love playing with him he is not only hard to play but also very hard to implement into team fights; if you're used to playing people like Garen and Amumu and being able to change the outcome of a game Malzahar is not for you; although he is great fun and his abilities are pretty cool he is extremely team dependent. Even if you're amazing with malzahar there are better picks, so if you end up not liking his playstyle you will completely waste all your IP.

CanAPanda

10-05-2010

I absolutely love playing as Malzahar, I bought him about a month or so ago and never liked him much but then I found this amazing guide and tried him out a bit more. So far I have never gone into the negative KDA range (kills deaths assists, a negative KDA is when your deaths exceed your kills combined with assists.) And I have won about 22 games, lost 3. I won't go into much more detail because this guide does it for me, I encourage you to buy him and try this out. Just know that hes one of the best mids in the game but is bad if under leveled so try never to lane on top or bottom with him.

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...le-guide.xhtml

JazzDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAPanda View Post
I absolutely love playing as Malzahar, I bought him about a month or so ago and never liked him much but then I found this amazing guide and tried him out a bit more. So far I have never gone into the negative KDA range (kills deaths assists, a negative KDA is when your deaths exceed your kills combined with assists.) And I have won about 22 games, lost 3. I won't go into much more detail because this guide does it for me, I encourage you to buy him and try this out. Just know that hes one of the best mids in the game but is bad if under leveled so try never to lane on top or bottom with him.

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...le-guide.xhtml
+1 to this guide, it is the original guide I used for Malzahar and brought me great results, really helped a lot in understanding the champ along with Phreak's champion spotlight (I suggest watching this for help on timing Call of the Void)

Deathvango

10-05-2010

Hmm Thanks for the input. I looked at the guide and he seems pretty awesome! I guess i'll wait another week or two and see if he comes out as a free champ and will try him out. If he doesn't anytime soon I think I'll just risk it and buy him... But from what I've heard I think I'll enjoy him.

Shinohan

10-05-2010

malzahars alot of fun and very strong now that his ultimate supresses if you like him then his definately one of the solid picks. definately my favourite out of all my 6300 heroes i have. his the only one that got buffed nicely.

Warrrax

10-06-2010

As a new player you need to play ALL the free champs every week for 3 or 4 weeks while saving IPs and buying runes. THEN you can decide who to unlock.

Buying a hero without ever playing them is idiocy. Especially for a new player with so limited IPs.

SlackWareWolf

10-06-2010

As someone who plays Malzahar multiple times per day, and has Malzahar Wall Paper on the Computer Screen right now, I think I can help

Before I go farther than this, I want to point out some things that might help you in how to take my advice:

1. I'm not very good. I'm a level 30 who can get his ass kicked by a level 20 easy. However, I DO have something a lot of LoL player's don't have; FPS / DooM experience that can come over to LoL. I can get 27 kills in one game easy, and that's not even a record for me. Considering how bad I am though, it is a little impressive. I think this is because I'm so used to chainsaws and dying only mattering sometimes, but I'm getting better at this.

2. You should NOT EVER just "Listen to someone and do as they say" on here. I'm weird because I like a lot if Champs and don't play one type. I play Mordekaiser as my main, and he's my fav Champ, however, Malzahar, in the last two weeks, has become a VERY close second.

Those are two VERY different Champs. And yet I like both. Most people seam to stick with Caster, or maybe an attack damage champ, I don't. So I can actually give you my thoughts without shoving my opinion down your throat.

Anyway, this is what I do, and I think it's good advice:

Whenever a new Champ, or old one, starts looking better and better to me, I have a system on if I'll buy them or not, and this is it:

1. How much does said champ cost? If it's 450, I'll buy them anyway, 450 isn't much, you can get that in a day easy. If it's 1350, OK, now I may not just impulse buy someone... 1350 actually DOES take time. You can of course get this in a day too, but I'm trying to be realistic.

So if they are 1350, I look at them, I read everything I can, pop open my Client, go to Champs, then click on Show all, then click on their Icon, and read it. After that I go to Wikia and read about them again.

After Wikia, Mobafire to see how people play them. Like what Runes they use and which ones I may have, and what Items people seem to use on said Champ, and so on. Basically I do my homework.

Now, if the Champ is 3150, this is where I'm not going to Impulse buy at all. Not anymore. I at this point, have read info about this champ in the game, read Wikia multiple times, memorized one or two builds, and maybe even thought up a strategy.

If the Champion is 6300.... NO WAY am I just "Gonna buy them". Not at that price. This is how much Malzahar costs.

So right away, I'm glad you took the time to ask what everyone thought. This is great. I personally did the SAME thing. I bought him less than a month ago like I said, and before I did, I thought about it multiple times.

I read about him, thought he looked awesome, but 6300 is a LOT of ****ing IP. I actually read the info about him in the client like 15 times.

The first time I read up on him, I was like "WTF all these spells seem not only hard to use right, but... Man... That is a LOT of IP...." and so I didn't think about him much.

Well, after a game I was playing went to **** because the other team had a GOOD Malzahar... And I had never seen one before I might add, but the person playing knew what they were doing! I watched as this guy would literally mark one person on my team, and just kill them....

I was amazed. I was like level 10 or something and never really saw someone who could just mark a target, then, 5 minutes later, they had them killed. It was awesome. I asked the guy what he thought of Malzahar, and he said he was great.

I started wanting him after seeing the "LoL Champion Spotlight - Malzahar".... When I saw how he played, I was like "OMG! This is AWESOME!" and after that I started asking EVERY person I ran into playing Malzahar what they thought.

Every person I met said the same thing:

"Oh man he's sweet!" or once "Dude, I LOVE him! I saved and saved and saved for him, and when I finally got to 6300, I bought him, and it was amazing!".... That made me REALLY want him.

Well, I had been using Mordekaiser for a while, and I wanted to have a Dragon Knight Skin, and got some RP. Then a week or two later, My Wife and I were in Best Buy and found the boxed version of the game, which I highly recommend getting BTW, and that came with more RP.

I bought Malzahar. With cash basically. I couldn't save that much IP. I really couldn't. I've only bought like two champs with RP, and Malzahar is one (The other is Karthus) and I have to say this:

When I first bought Malzahar, he hadn't been buffed yet. He was REALLY Underpowered. The ONLY reason people would pull off amazing game play was literally because they were incredibly talented players. That's it.

There was no "I can do this if I try" it was "I am a great and amazing player, and Malzahar fits my play style just right"... There was no newbie wins.

He had like.... Well, he has spells that are cool, but before that patch, anyone playing a number of Champs, which are popular ones I might add.... Could get out of your Ultimate! And he has almost no Health or Mana to start. VERY hard to play. It's a little better with the last two patches that buffed him, and he's a lot... A LOT better now. But he still is slightly underpowered in my personal opinion, but not NEARLY as bad as before.

Basically has has 0 CC, his Cooldowns, though better, are still high in some respects, and Cooldown Runes can help, and on top of all this, his Ultimate will have anyone QQ at you. Mostly because they apparently don't know Morgana can do the same **** but better.

I'd personally tell you GO FOR IT! He's a lot of fun to play, he has am AMAZING voice when he speaks in game, and all around he's a bad ass. However, this is MY opinion, and that doesn't mean I'm right.

I'd recommend you either try to see when he'll be free to play, and try him out then, or, buy some RP, and get him that way.

BEFORE you get him, you should try this:

Go to Youtube, and watch the Malzahar Champion Spotlight. That's a Professional playing him, so keep that in mind, but, also, it lets you know he IS awesome.

After that, go to MOBAfire, or whatever build site you use, and look at how people use him. You'll probably see AP is a huge thing there, and this is what I PERSONALLY do:

I have three pages in my Rune book:

1. This is my Mordekaiser page. It's all CD reduction Seals, AP Glyphs, and Magic Pen runes.

2. This is the page I use on Malzahar, Ryze, Karthus, and everyone else who's a caster. This is Magic Pen Marks, Magic Pen Quintessences, and I'm currently replacing my AP Glyphs with Magic Pen. The Seals are CD Reduction.

3. This is for TF as it's all Armor Pen, AP, and CD Reduction, and doesn't matter here but after saying three you might wonder lol.

Now, for Runes, I obviously put Magic Pen as a top priority, and with good reason:

AP is great, but SO many Items give it, and it stacks, that it's not really as important. Magic Pen on the other hand.... Items do give this, but not NEARLY as much, and something like Void Staff, costs a **** load of Gold, and the Magic Pen is UNIQUE!

So yea, I went mostly Magic Pen, and you can try too if you like. I'd recommend Magic Pen, and AP. You'll probably want at least something to help with Health, so think about that too, because he is SQUISHY!

Anyway, sorry about length, but I wanted to Help.

RedOnesGoFasta

10-06-2010

Just to throw this in, a friend of mine picked up Malzahar and love him. But kinda regrets it after Swain came out. After playing them both he likes Swain a lot better, so make sure you try out any caster that is somewhat similar to him before dropping all that IP.