In Depth THEORY on pros and cons of ganking.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

11-03-2012

So first of all let me just say that this is a theory of mine. Which holds no value whatsoever to the game, does not change how you should play the game in any shape way or form but merely suggests looking at a concept with some more perspective.

So please do not call my idea trash or me trash without first realizing that this is a conceptual idea based purely on my opinion, and even if it holds no value whatsoever because I am not a pro player or above X elo that I still believe it and think it makes sense.

Second of all this post is long, very long, so I beg you have patience and read it all or just not and ignore it...

The concept as the title suggests is ganking.
Now ganking in game can be looked at from the ganker's point of view, the gankee's point of view, and the laner's point of view. I will address these roles shortly.

Thesis: Many people feel that ganking is one sided this thread will address that issue with some more perspective

Ganking-a term used to imply any number of people arriving to assist your lane through a method quite possibly considered similar to an ambush. Although some ganks are not directly an ambush but merely resort in lane presence. Ganking is not specific to any role but certain roles can benefit and succeed at ganking more often, but in some cases it can become player/champion specific. This definition is subject to change and is under further review.

Now let us look at the ganker's point of view or in better terms the person executing the gank. Observing reasons for a gank would lead us to various causes but allow me to suggest some that I can think of off hand:
1.) Someone in lane requests for a gank
2.) Enemy has overextended and has allowed for an opportunity to be ganked
3.) Ganking in order to counter a current gank.
4.) In order to create lane presence

So what happens when a ganker ganks?
Well the enemy is forced to respond to the gank occuring in their lane.

What if this response forces the enemy to waste spells, lose health, recall, or even loss farm?
We can consider this gank technically successful, because it allows for the laner to farm, recall themselves, shop, push, and in essence it gives a chance to recover.

But what if the enemy escapes unharmed?
Well the presence of the gank forces the gankee or in better terms person being ganked to back off and even call for a possible counter gank. This gank is technically not a success because the gank did not force the enemy to burn resources; however at the same time by securing the laner's positioning the gank succeed because it could have the potential to deny farm.

What about if the enemy has wards and the anticipate the gank and reposition their lane freezing it closer to their turret?
Good question. This is deemed a bad gank because it wastes the ganker's time and does not assist the laner by denying the enemy resources. But there are situations where even the fact that you made your presence known is a good thing here because you are forcing the gankee to ward more often and not be as aggressive due to fear of ganks.

Okay so ganking if it fails can waste the gankers time and thereby allows the enemy team to play more aggressively including their ganker?
Yes, but as I said even a bad gank can have its rewards and I will explain them.

Looking at being ganked are there pros and cons to that?
Of course, like I suggested there are some unconventional pros to being ganked actually. By being gankedand escaping unscathed or anticipating the gank you are allowing your ganker to a.) counter the gank, b.) gank other lanes and possibly succeed without fear of beign countered c.) farm more without fear of getting camped on. And those are just examples I can think of off the top of my head.
The cons of this are much easier to see. Obviously if you get ganked and you didn't anticipate it or escape unscathed you are forced to lose some source of resource whether it be farm, summoner spells, pots, or just recalling in general, or even death. You are burning something valuable and in most cases the aspect of this that hurts you the most is the fact that you are burning time. Travel time between fountain and turret, time to recall, time at fountain, time in shop, time your cds and actives are down, and time you are dead. All of this can be wasted by being ganked and the ganker succeeding.

What about the laner what are the cons of having someone gank for you, because I can understand the positives if the ganker succeeds then obviously we may have picked up a kill, or allowed myself to freely farm. So what cons do you see?
Well by receiving a gank we allow for the possibility to be counterganked is one thing that pops to my mind. The other thing is obviously similar but if you ask for a gank you are increasing the priority to your lane. What I mean by this is that the more people that appear in an area require the enemy to respond by sending more people to the same area. It is quite like the game generals where you have 5 soldiers and you can send any number of them to a location the chances of you winning a fight are greatly increased when the numbers of fighters match your opponents or exceed them. So based on this your lane now becomes more noticed and other enemies may reinforce that lane, or appear in that lane, or gank that lane. Of course this suggestion can go both ways so yes your allies could also reinforce your lane to counter this.That there suggests the occurance of teamfights early game to mid game.

Other cons a laner can face is that the ganker steals resources by farming the lane, pushing the lane and possibly ending the laning phase too early by killing the turret. (At least that is my understanding of what signifies the end of laning phase, in essence the destruction of the laner's turret, forcing them to free-farm or roam and not pushing farther due to fear of getting ganked thanks to being way overextended. Of course that fear could be nullified if you realize that you are forcing the enemy to respond and resort to the mindset that being ganked is actually benefitting my team by reducing the pressure on them.

Does this mean i should try to be ganked?
NO...Do not take this as I'm telling you to get ganked. I am explaining to you the real benefits of getting ganked and being able to anticipate it and avoid it. Early game however I can see ways to justify forcing enemies to respond to your pressure since I have made justifications to them above

How does utilizing this mindset hurt my team when i do this late game?
Well the lack of your presence in teamfights is one thing. With you just pushing and overextending you aren't helping your team, if they succeed in ganking you then you put your team at a major disadvantage if you die or have to base. Even early game you can cause a game to snowball if you try to force ganks without having a guarenteed escape.
And in my opinion there is no 100% guarenteed anything in this game, you are playing with 9 other people who have 9 totally different playstyles and trying to incorporate a concept such as this can be risky without communication and teamwork.

I think this is all garbage, Moby you have no idea what you are talking about and your concept has no merit or data.
I am sorry you feel this way; however, I am basing this concept on the strategy game known as general as well as psychology. In the game Generals your odds of winning are increased with numbers. This game does not calculate skill but if take skill into the equation and suggest that a numerical value could be assigned to a player dependent on how good they are or how many soldiers they are worth then you can quickly adapt the strategy game so that it could work in the League sense. The psychology of this is theory is that if a player pushes or overextends you are creating a stimulus that the opponent must react to. Because if they ignore the stimulus the stimulus will not go away. So the enemy team must respond by reinforcing the lane, ganking the lane, or retreating from the lane, and those are just three things that I can think of but I am sure there are other possibilities. Like lane switching for instance thats another one that just popped into my head. Basically you are forcing some response. No response means you are going to eventually kill the tower and more than likely its going to be quicker due to no response.

But Moby this post is way too long and I don't feel like reading it can I have a TLDR?
Of course...but you are only making my post longer by asking for one...

TLDR: Very long hypothetical theory based upon the concept of ganking, being ganked, and receiving ganks. There are various ways of looking at ganking and being ganked. I believe that each has its pros as well as cons, and above I have examples of such.
Brief Summary of such: Ganking causes a reaction from the gankee, if it succeeds it forces the gankee to waste resources specifically time, whereas if it fails then it forces the ganker to waste time. Recieving ganks works out successfully as long as the ganker knows when his presence is no longer required. Getting ganked and anticipating it and avoiding it as stated wastes gankers time and resources and allows for your ganker to have better opportunites with ganks/counterganks and farming

Edit: I know this may seem silly but I really enjoy writing and that is why this thread is so long...and I also find this kind of stuff interesting just looking at stuff from another angle Thanks to any and all for reading

Edit 2: wtf downvotes...but why?

Edit 3: Sweet! some upvotes

Moby the White

11-03-2012

edit bump

Seventy Times 7

11-03-2012

I oddly enjoyed reading this. No idea why.

You need to make your thesis explicitly stated somewhere, though. This is more a ramble than a theory.

Moby the White

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy Times 7 View Post
I oddly enjoyed reading this. No idea why.

You need to make your thesis explicitly stated somewhere, though. This is more a ramble than a theory.
hmm any ideas for a thesis?

And thanks

Cypsain

11-03-2012

You may want a tl;dr, a lot of the people on GD won't bother reading this.

Moby the White

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypsain View Post
You may want a tl;dr, a lot of the people on GD won't bother reading this.

suggestions for a tldr? there is a lot to sum up there.... I mean i have one but i kinda just joke around with it...maybe something along the lines of there are various ways of looking at ganking and being ganked. i believe that each has its pros as well as cons?

Moby the White

11-03-2012

actually i think i like the sound of that...

bobly boobly

11-04-2012

Very interesting read. I thoroughly enjoyed comparing the perspectives. +1

Moby the White

11-04-2012

thank you very much i'm glad you read it and I appreciate the upvotes

Moby the White

11-04-2012

though i doubt ill get the response 10/10 would read again lol i very much appreciate anyone reading it in the first place