November MCCC - The Inside is Bigger than the Outside

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Munkey20

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

It did feel a little daunting at first, but I feel like its plenty doable. I just think we are going to be seeing alot of the same abilities on different characters, but it will be interesting to see each person's personal spin on it.

Did my entry fit the requirements? I just wanted to make sure its abilities fit or if I was going to have to work on being a little more creative.

Flintlock

11-04-2012

If I may, I'd like to join this. Whilst the ultimate isn't specifically an effect mentioned, I think it fits with the 'Inside bigger than outside' motif.

Calnor, The Lost Sorceror

Attributes:
Mage, Ranged

Ratings

Attack - 2/10
Spells - 7/10
Defense - 6/10
Difficulty - 6/10

Lore

Quote:
The name 'Calnor Earthspur' was previously believed to be a traditional pseudonym used by academics studying the field of Interdimensional Transportation. A series of papers written on the subject under this name have guided the progress of the subject for over 50 years; each paper put forth radical new theories and methods of putting the magic to use. This prior theory seems debunked after the one and only sorcerer 'comandeered' a summoning ritual, returning himself to the world and bringing with him the original copies of the scrolls upon which he wrote his research along with the revolutionary beginnings of a number of future papers.

Claiming to have trapped himself in the void long in the past, Calnor's innate magic was twisted by the energies of the void, granting him a slowed aging process and unique powers, but rendering him unable to use standard spells, including those that would allow him to return. Whilst Calnor managed to escape the place on multiple occassions through intensive rituals, sometimes for months at a time, his corrupted magic would inevitably pull him back to continue his torment. It was as if his own magic was actively trying to prevent his escape. Calnor refuses to speak of what exactly he saw or experienced in the Void. As a result, many doubt the truth of his story. Not only was he seemingly able to survive the horrors that lurk in the Void for many years and find time to write papers on a subect he could no longer personally practice, but he appears more stable than those who only glimpsed the Void such as Kassadin or Malzahar, aside from his overt cowardice. Others believe that this sense of normalcy is but an act and that whoever Calnor was previous has been supplanted by much more sinister creature. Regardless of his prior situation, Calnor enthusiastically took the opportunity to join the league in exchange for a way to anchor him to his homeworld.

"Dimension signature 216.133.234.101. Finally living beings that probably won't hurt me." - Calnor's first words upon re-appearing.
Quotes

Quote:
Selection
"Please try to avoid getting me killed."

Movement
"It's nice to see the sun again."
"Status; everything's okay."
"Nice and peaceful."
"I won't go back there. I won't."
"It's so... calm here."

Attacking
"Can't we think this over?"
"Th-This looks like it'll hurt."
"Do unto others before they do unto you."
"T-Take this!"

Taunt
"I normally don't taunt things that could kill me, but that doesn't seem to apply to you."

Joke
"I'm not like other people. I can't stand pain. It hurts me."
Stats

Quote:
Health: 350 (+71)
Health Regen: 4.5 (+0.6)
Mana: 260 (+55)
Mana Regen: 6.3 (+0.71)
Range: 550
Attack Damage: 50.6 (+3)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+1.7%)
Armor: 12 (+2.9)
Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25)
Movement Speed: 320
(Why 320 base MS? In practical terms, it's because he's a short range mage who needs to get in close to be most effective. Flavour-wise, it's because he's a coward.)
Quote:
Passive - Outer Limits
Whenever Calnor casts a spell, its base cooldown is reduced by 0.5 seconds for each enemy champion nearby. Enemies within half the maximum range reduce the cooldown by 1 second instead. Caps at 3 seconds.

Range: 800
Quote:
Q - Reality Ripple
After a 0.5 second delay, Calnor saturates an area with energies of the void, dealing magic damage and applying a mark for 5 seconds. The next spell Calnor strikes the opponent with will trigger a second cast of Reality Ripple centred on the target without applying an additional mark.

Range: 750
Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6
Magic Damage: 60/100/140/180/220 (+60% AP)
Diameter of AOE: 400
Mana Cost: 50/55/60/65/70
Quote:
W – Causality Bubble
Calnor shields his target from incoming damage for up to 5 seconds. If the shield is broken, it deals magic damage to nearby enemies equal to the shielded amount and stuns them for 0.5 seconds.

Range: 700
Cooldown: 16/15/14/13/12
Shield/Magic Damage: 50/95/140/185/230 (+80% AP)
Diameter of AOE: 550
Mana Cost: 60/65/70/75/80
Quote:
E – Living Vacuum
Calnor dashes to target location, dealing magic damage to enemy Champions he passes through and dragging them to the target location.

Range: 600
Cooldown: 16/15/14/13/12 seconds
Damage: 90/135/180/225/270 (+80% AP)
Mana Cost: 80/90/100/110/120
Dash Speed: 1300
Quote:
R - Twilight Zone
Calnor creates an inescapable pocket dimension at the target location. Enemies that enter the area have their Magic Resistance reduced and gain the debuff 'Trapped in the Twilight Zone' for the remaining duration of the spell. If they attempt to leave the area, they are returned to the centre of the AOE and are stunned for 0.5 seconds. Lasts 2.75 seconds.

Range: 450 range.
Cooldown:140/120/100 seconds
Magic Resistance Reduction: -20/-30/-40
Diameter of AOE: 600
Mana Cost: 150
Recommended Items: Doran's Ring, Sorcerer's Shoes, Chalice of Harmony, Rabaddon's Deathcap, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Abyssal Scepter

Playstyle notes

-
Calnor is a combo based burst mage that shines most during teamfights as his abilities scale directly off the number of opponents he's facing. He derives most of his damage from his Q; if he can hit multiple targets with the initial cast, the damage scales for each opponent hit. Use his dash and ultimate to keep opponents pinned together.

- Despite primarily being a Mage, Calnor functions better going solo top rather than mid; his low early damage and the short range on all skills besides his Q hamper his ability to trade well in most match-ups against enemy mages (although he can function passably against some weaker laners and fairs somewhat better against anti-mids such as Pantheon or Talon). However, his shield is extremely effective against enemy melees and his dash gives him a measure of safety, which compensates for the increased ease of ganking at top.

- Calnor is an excellent ganker and gank assistor (assuming your jungler brought enough CC to allow Calnor to get in front of his target), especially post-level 6. If possible, use your dash to bring enemies closer to your tower or away from escape routes.

- Similarly to Morgana, Calnor can function as a team fight initiator with his ultimate. However, having someone else do so is preferable as it's short range and doesn't provide hard CC unless the enemy walks past the boundary.

- Whilst his ultimate gives no direct damage, Calnor is generally better during the team fight stage of the game as his damage multiplies with the number of enemies due to his passive and Q (in addition to his general inability to deal any meaningful damage prior to gaining multiple levels in his skills). Pair him with other AOE powerhouses such as Fiddlesticks for maximum effect.

- When playing against Calnor during the teamfight stage, note that his ultimate has a very short range, as does his dash. If you avoid clumping up and ensure to have your tank out in front, he has difficulty getting in without assistance.

- Despite the presence of a shield and plenty of CC, Calnor will probably be found lacking as a support; in general, he is a low base, high scaling champion and in lane, his only way of peeling enemies from his carry is to put himself in immediate danger.

Challenge Fulfillment

- Inside is bigger than the outside: Passive (enemies who are closer grant a larger boost) and Ultimate (creates an enclosed space that is effectively 'larger' on the inside than on the outside).

- Relative Dimension: Passive (grants cooldown reduction relative to the number of enemy champions nearby)

- Time and Space: E (allows for the displacement of enemies) and Ultimate (creates an unescapable {except for vikings}, enclosed space)

matrixEXO

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureClockwork View Post
Inside bigger than the outside!
  • detection radius smaller than effect radius
  • mixed aoes = stronger effect (that means overlapping aoes give a stronger/different effect)
  • aoe slow (can fit theme by stating stretches space inside location, so its bigger than the outside)
  • center radius = more effect than outer radius
  • passive effect that grants allies smaller effect (you are inside, allies are outside)
  • damage increase the closer you are
@ rest of the contestants, do you feel theme is too restrictive this time?
if it is, ill change it
It's quite fine, really. Just a matter of deploying said effects into the skillset. I also see a possible "if the enemy go to/are at XX range to the center, the enemy is (CC type)" effect, which also adds a unique play to that which could be done.

EDIT: While I do like the challenges, I would like to join the panel of judges. Gonna give you my review on a Champion later. (We need more reviewers as judges!)

matrixEXO

11-05-2012

Well, here is my review.

Baelrog, the Molten Shadow

Lore - 3.5/5
Story is engaging but is too long (subjective, thus begging to differ for some). There is some weirdness at the end where I couldn't make head or tail of the end of the fight.

Stats - 4/5
While most of them is true to a melee Champion, the amount of mana given is quite high. You never see a melee Champion with an end base mana value of 1.3k (I might be wrong, but you can check it out).

Skills - (13/25)
Passive - Fits the dichotomy well. Not so strong yet not so weak either, depending on how you want to build his passive stacks.

Q - There two missing information, his Q-2 range and effects of casting Q-2 while Q-1 is still traveling. Damage values are fine individually but Q-2's timer is too short. Only spamming the button will get it somewhere. Also, since there are no explanation on the capability of his Q-2 in chain with Q-1, I have a feeling that spamming the button when the enemy is at long range will cause both to proc, dealing overpowering damages all-together depending on how you build him, of course. At the same time, the overall capability of this skill is too strong, mana cost and cooldowns seem a tad smaller in comparison to the capable output being done.

W - I can see a toggle spamming to proc his passive, since it does not say otherwise. Is relatively bad, given that W-1's damage boost is quite high, armor pen is too low in increment (might as well not add it in) and a "decent" movement speed boost (subjective, is more leaning towards strong). W-2, on the other hand, needs some adjustments since there is no AoE radius value, a strong spell vamp potency and 15% of AP is quite small (basically a small health boost to reduce 1 poke is what I see).

E - I don't feel right with this skill. The base damages are "fine" but his ratios are quite low (base damages wholly rely on complete proc effect, while individually is very weak thus making his pokes weak). Focusing on either does not do him any good for this skill and hybrid-ing himself does not help either. This skill feels like it's forcing the player to go to melee range to actually do all the damage and that using it to poke-farm or poke-harass is sorely decentivised.

R - Another HP ratio effect. And the measly AD and AP ratios are so bad (also, I do not understand why it's there before the word "of his HP, since it does not do anything to change the % itself). The base damages dealt are quite high but suits it since it is a "Channel" DoT (actually not even considered a real channel since you can still move and attack, but just can't cast spells).

Overall - The skills begs the question of what it's main focus is. Even Jax, the "Hybrid" has a main focus. For this, it asks for whether you wanted him as Tank, AD, AP or Hybrid. I see him more towards Tank since:

1) Measly AD and AP ratios.
2) High HP ratios.
3) Base ratios can hold it's own in terms of damage.

Might have been better if you just stated Tank rather than Hybrid.

Gameplay - (2.5/5)
I don't think I will feel great playing this character. Some things are overpowered while some are underpowered. And being forced to melee E is not my cup of tea since, if it can do both, why not make being in melee range more of an incentive than a necessity? Then again, this Champion will get things done when things needs to be doing. His high HP ratios would make him be build as a tank, while his damages and ranged CC would allow him to hold his own against other existing Champions.

Total - 23/40

The5lacker

11-05-2012

I think the major problem with focusing on a single mechanic like this is it basically drags everyone into making champions with the same mechanical "feel." They ALL have to be closer to their target, basically, and have to have, like, circular AoE spell, or some sort of buff. I'd much rather have people build champions thematically, like, last month's Planeswalker contest. It allows for a lot more creativity in builds, I think. I mean, throwing everyone the line "spacetime" and going "Good luck!" would probably net a few more interesting champs who don't have to just drag enemies to a single point repeatedly, as entertaining as it is.

matrixEXO

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
I think the major problem with focusing on a single mechanic like this is it basically drags everyone into making champions with the same mechanical "feel." They ALL have to be closer to their target, basically, and have to have, like, circular AoE spell, or some sort of buff. I'd much rather have people build champions thematically, like, last month's Planeswalker contest. It allows for a lot more creativity in builds, I think. I mean, throwing everyone the line "spacetime" and going "Good luck!" would probably net a few more interesting champs who don't have to just drag enemies to a single point repeatedly, as entertaining as it is.
Try having a cone skill with more effect (easiest to think is damage) the closer it is to the center. Then add a system where you can deal the cone effect on a long range. You have a new skill out. It is a ranged cone ability that fits the requirement.

Try to think outside the box, I give small points for it (if I become a judge, waiting on Clockwork's decision).

Now, for what you are so worried about... Yes, there would be a lot of similarities. But at the same time, some new skills might come up that you wouldn't have thought it yet. The idea is to use a uniform body or rule to create a thousand ideas. It's just a matter of opening your mind, seeing every single effect and applying such effects into your skill.

IE: A DoT-type AoE skill where the closer the enemy is to the center, the more damage the enemy receives from all other damage sources.

You can use this if you want. I'm giving you an example of how to make a new skill.

3mptylord

11-05-2012

Curse the whole "new champions only" rule. I'd struggle to create a champion that doesn't rip off my own champion, who features an entire kit about space/time/wibblywobbly bits; his E fits the theme for sure, Q by your examples. Could I revamp him for the contest? He's old and I haven't even chosen a passive. ^_^

Espy Psyche

11-05-2012

Carla Lynn, the Arrow of Time

Appearance: Though 26 years old, Carla Lynn appears to be closer to 14. Her frame seems much too thin for her to be an effective warrior. At 5'2” with such a build, she doesn't appear intimidating at all. Her eyes are striking blue and her dark brown hair reaches slightly past her shoulders. She wears a floppy black hat. white shirt, brown dress pants, and fancy black leather boots. She carries a recurve bow and wears a quiver on her back and a tiny hourglass on a gold chain around her neck.

Note: Dr. Noz Tennic is my entry to the January MCCC and is an original champion created by me. Since he's loosely based off of Doctor Who, I figured it a good idea to include him in the lore for Carla Lynn. There's a good chance that I might include Dr. Noz and Carla Lynn in lore for future champions, and an excellent possibility that I might create a Dr. Soria.

Lore: Dr. Noz Tennic, known in the present day as the Time Master, originally comes from a distant future. He was the leader of a project that invented a machine capable of traveling through time. In his wisdom, he was aware that any nihilistic cult would love to rewrite history to their nefarious ends. His response was to create the Timeless Realm, from which he, his second in command Dr. Soria Domi, and an elite group of warriors from all corners of the globe could protect the timestream. Soria would stay behind in the Timeless Realm to act as the center of communications and to retrieve the fighters if anything went wrong. Noz would lead the group of warriors into the timestreams to repel anyone who wanted to rewrite history.

Carla Lynn Jameson, a 26-year old Demacian archer, was one of the selected warriors. She was a scout in the Demacian military, using her exceptional sight, speed, agility and skill with her recurve bow to determine where the enemy forces were and eliminate enemy scouts. She could pick out camouflaged enemy scouts at ranges of half a mile, and was capable of seeing non-camouflaged targets at ranges of five miles or more. Dr. Noz respected these skills, and gave her an invitation to his Timeless Realm.

Carla Lynn accepted Dr. Noz's invitation to the Timeless Realm, where she was introduced to temporal magic. She upgraded herself with it, enhancing her natural skill with her weapon and her agility by adding magical abilities. Her already exceptional sight was enhanced further, granting her what Dr. Noz called “true sight”. She was supposedly able to see inside a person's heart, being able to determine if they were good or evil. This, coupled with her weapon skill and innocent appearance, made her a perfect fit for Dr. Noz's team.

Dr. Noz identified the young League of Legends as an extremely valuable target to any nihilistic cults who wished to end the world. As the only thing that prevented war between the world's great powers, the League's destruction would plunge the world into a far-reaching world war between allies of Demacia and allies of Noxus. As disastrous as this conclusion could be, Dr. Noz and his strike team, which included Carla Lynn, went to the young League and enlisted as champions to make sure that they were always on the scene, ready to protect the Institute of War and its League of Legends from any threat.

"I'm glad Noz picked Carla Lynn for his team. Having her to watch for him makes me feel much more at ease about him being on the strike team." -- Dr. Soria Domi when asked about the team Dr. Noz picked

Passive – Temporal Distortion: Carla Lynn projects a temporal distortion field around herself. Allies within 600 range of Carla Lynn gain 8% movement speed (Carla Lynn herself is always under this effect). Enemies within 400 range of Carla Lynn are slowed by 8%.

Q – Echoing Arrow: Carla Lynn fires a shot that echoes further damage behind its target. The initial target takes 20/45/70/95/120 (+0.8 per Attack Damage) physical damage, echoing behind the target in a cone. Enemies farther from the point of impact take less damage, down to 50% of initial damage at maximum range. This ability applies on-hit effects to the initial target only.

Cooldown: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
Mana Cost: 50 mana
Cone width: 60 degrees
Range: 800
Cone length: 400

W – Flying Serpent Kick: Carla Lynn sweeps through the air with a powerful kick. Enemies hit by the attack are knocked back and take 60/110/160/210/260 (+0.6 per Ability Power) physical damage. Carla Lynn gains 4% movement speed for every enemy unit hit for 3 seconds.

Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10 seconds
Mana Cost: 80 mana
Knockback range: 150
Range: 450
Knockback distance: 250

E – Hawkeye:

Toggle ON: Carla Lynn focuses her sight, allowing her to see stealthed units out to 700/750/800/850/900 units away, and can see through brush at her normal sight range. Carla Lynn cannot see stealthed units in brush unless occupying the same brush.

Toggle OFF: Carla Lynn's critical strike chance is increased by 5%/7.5%/10%/12.5%/15%.

Mana Cost: 25 mana per second
Cooldown: 1 second

R – Spacial Vortex Blast: Carla Lynn fires a powerful shot at very long range, piercing and damaging all targets until it hits its true target. Targets hit take 250/400/550 (+1.0 per Attack Damage) physical damage and are afflicted by Spacial Rend for 4 seconds. Any abilities with ranges longer than 600 that hit a target afflicted by Spacial Rend consume the debuff and deal an additional 100/200/300 (+1.4 per ally's Bonus Attack Damage or +1.0 per ally's Ability Power, whichever is higher) magic damage.

Cooldown: 100 seconds
Mana Cost: 100/150/200 mana
Range: 4000

Base Stats:

Health: 375 (+77)
Health Regen: 4.3 (+0.55)
Mana: 200 (+45)
Mana Regen: 6.7 (+1.0)
Range: 600
Attack Damage: 46.2 (+2.8)
Attack Speed: 0.660 (+3.4%)
Armor: 9 (+3.4)
Magic Resist: 30
Movement Speed: 305

Rulings:

Hawkeye's Toggle OFF effect is not active while toggled on and vice versa. Carla Lynn loses her critical strike bonus when searching for stealthed units.

Echoing Arrow is a click-to-target ability, not a skillshot.

Width of Spacial Vortex Blast is comparible to Sivir's Boomerang Blade. Speed is comparible to Ashe's Enchanted Crystal Arrow.

MCCC Challenges:

The Inside is Bigger than the Outside: Carla Lynn's Q does more damage to enemies near the point of impact than far away. Also, Carla Lynn's passive has more effect closer to her (enemies are slowed and allies are hasted near her, while farther out only allies are affected).

Relative Dimensions: Carla Lynn's W gives her movement speed based on the number of enemies hit by the attack.

Time and Space: Carla Lynn's passive uses time manipulation to hasten her allies and herself.

The5lacker

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixEXO View Post
Try having a cone skill with more effect (easiest to think is damage) the closer it is to the center. Then add a system where you can deal the cone effect on a long range. You have a new skill out. It is a ranged cone ability that fits the requirement.

Try to think outside the box, I give small points for it (if I become a judge, waiting on Clockwork's decision).

Now, for what you are so worried about... Yes, there would be a lot of similarities. But at the same time, some new skills might come up that you wouldn't have thought it yet. The idea is to use a uniform body or rule to create a thousand ideas. It's just a matter of opening your mind, seeing every single effect and applying such effects into your skill.

IE: A DoT-type AoE skill where the closer the enemy is to the center, the more damage the enemy receives from all other damage sources.

You can use this if you want. I'm giving you an example of how to make a new skill.
Well that's not "bigger on the inside" That's just a shotgun blast. Now we're getting into a really vague mechanical limitation, and again, having most or all of a champions abilities link to such a mechanic just seems silly to me. Again, I'd much rather such a contest be focused on a theme rather than a singular mechanic, as themes allow for a much wider avenue of thought. For example, the Planeswalker theme last month. I only wish I could've been there for that one, it seemed like a lot of fun and the massive variety of options to chose from allowed for some pretty creative concepts all around.

Sigismund

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
Well that's not "bigger on the inside" That's just a shotgun blast. Now we're getting into a really vague mechanical limitation, and again, having most or all of a champions abilities link to such a mechanic just seems silly to me. Again, I'd much rather such a contest be focused on a theme rather than a singular mechanic, as themes allow for a much wider avenue of thought. For example, the Planeswalker theme last month. I only wish I could've been there for that one, it seemed like a lot of fun and the massive variety of options to chose from allowed for some pretty creative concepts all around.
That was actually for a different contest, and not the MCCC, but I agree with you that multiple mechanic restrictions feel a lot more constraining than a mild mix of lore + mechanic or purely lore requirements.

3 skill requirements/restrictions seems a bit much, especially when you consider that one of them has to be applied to 3 out of 5 of the champion's skills.

It's doable but I think the requirements are a bit too constraining. You're requiring that we either focus on AoE heavy kits, or that we include lengthy reasonings as to how our particular skills fit the limitations. It runs into some of the same problem as the September MCCC, where the two thematic restriction (space traveler + mechanical vehicle) felt very restrictive despite the wide range of options they presented.