Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nidalee: Ap or Ad (Top)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ðèñšchîrö

11-03-2012

After playing a few matches as Nidalee, and perusing various guides relating to her, I'm lead to wonder...

At top, is she generally more effective as an AP or an AD, or some sort of hybrid? I've mostly been playing AP, for those brutal long range poke spears, but i can imagine AD might as well be very powerful, and more effective at poking entrenched, behind minion, opponents.

Any suggestions on pros/cons, or ideas as to how I could play more effectively as a solo top?

Olaeceae

11-03-2012

You're going to have an easier time going AD top. Getting a wriggles lantern , you should be able to sustain and farm out top lane forever against most champs. Unless you're really outplaying your lane, you probably won't be able to push out your opponent as AP Nid. Late game you're pretty much the AD carry killer on your team. If you can catch their adc, they're done.

If you're going to go hybrid, Rageblade is definitely the item to buy. If anything, I'd buy this item if you're not sure as it's very hard to go wrong since Nidalee can easily maintain all 8 stacks. Any time top recalls while you're still in lane, you should have no problem bringing down the turret if you have a Guinsoo's Rageblade. This is probably the safest build to go. Get that phage/sheen and eventual Trinity Force.

Full AP Nidalee is probably the trickiest to play of the three. You're not going to be able to trade damage too well in lane and in later game, you're really going to need to make those spears count because that's really where most of your damage is going to be coming from. As a Glass Cannon Nidalee you'll really need to be selective of when to jump into team fights in cougar form because once you're in, you're pretty much committed because it's either kill or be killed as you're going to be really squishy, so if you can't find their squishes or get cced, you're probably dead. But hey - if you can land those spears at the right targets/moments, it's the most rewarding thing ever. But anyways, I'd say glass cannon Nidalee is the high risk/high reward option of the 3.

Burbinator

11-03-2012

No such thing as hybrid nid. Either you go tanky AD, and your only AD item is triforce and MAYBE wriggles, or you go AP.

Rageblade is technically a "hybrid item" but AP nid will buy it sometimes, because with her ultimate she can keep 8 stakcs up indefinitely which makes it an incredibly cost effective AP item.

Don't be fooled into thinking "hybrid nid" is actually a thing, because it isn't. Gunblade or building a mix of ad/ap items is really a terrible idea for nidalee.

Solo top you probably always want ot be going ad. AD nid has a very good lane phase while AP has a very bad lane phase.

Pros/cons: AD nid can do a lot of damage with cougar form while being relatively tanky. You outlane pretty much anyone, even yorick if you play it correctly (see: TPA stanley vs m5's toplaner). You are one of the best split pushers in the game. However, you fall off in late game teamfights, and a lot of your damage is in cougar form which means you've got to be up close and in dangerous positioning.

AP nid has a very terrible lane phase until 6. I'd recommend playing AP nid mid lane, not top, because you're more vulnerable top lane and you can't split push very well anyway. But your late game is very powerful. You poke incredibly hard, which is great for both defense and offense. You are squishier than a typical AD nid build but if you get lichbane, your damage is absurdly high if you do use cougar form. Your heals will also be ridiculously strong, keeping your ad carry alive while also giving him ridiculous AS too. AP however is definitely the hardest to play, since if you miss your spears youd amage is crappy in fights and you're obviously goin to be a very squishy cougar so you have to know exactly when you can and cannot engage.

phatmonkey91

11-03-2012

I play ap nid only in the mid lane as you can hang back and simply out harrass almost all mid lane champions (nothing hurts more than that and its fairly easy to land em in the mid lane, at least for me it is). If i play top id go ad nid

TornSpirit

11-03-2012

Hybrid is actually a thing. It's just the least viable of the builds. Literally the only thing you want to do with hybrid Nid is to snowball as fast as humanely possible, because it's the only thing hybrid Nid CAN do; but you have the highest damage output from skills in cougar. Again, it's not a recommended build at all.

AP Nidalee middle is actually not too good either because you lose lane to pretty much everyone. Again, Nid's lane is complete and utter trash pre-6 if building AP, so it's hardly considered a 'good' lane. It's pretty much only an option if you're facing an even worse matchup top, or someone refuses to mid so you've shouldered the role. EIther that or you're Bischu. Hell, even in Bischu's guide he says that Mid Nid loses to everyone in lane XD.

AP is a much more situational choice than AD, because it requires a poke composition OR a split pushing composition; ideally you want very, very good disengage and teammates which can hold toweres easily.

Burbinator

11-03-2012

Quote:
Hybrid is actually a thing. It's just the least viable of the builds. Literally the only thing you want to do with hybrid Nid is to snowball as fast as humanely possible, because it's the only thing hybrid Nid CAN do; but you have the highest damage output from skills in cougar. Again, it's not a recommended build at all.

I mean i can technically build annie ad, right? By "thing" i'm talking about viability. In no competitive or high elo setting have i ever seen a "hybrid" nid, much less a successful one. Feel free to prove me wrong if you can, of course.

DemonicUtensil

11-03-2012

The problem with gunblade on Nidalee really has more than anything to do with the fact that it's largely a sustain/lifesteal item... Which she doesn't need because of her E.

Personally I build nidalee AP. Her cougar form is still very usable as her E and W scale off of it, and the spears are just silly (especially if you hit a person suffering the MR reduction of a trap). Furthermore, AP makes her heal quite good, so you have a mini-Soraka in addition to infinite spearpoke.

To contrast, AD Nidalee's human form abilities are pretty much useless save for trap (and sometimes heal on the AD carry for the attack speed buff).

CounterSnipe

11-04-2012

AP nid
- She has no harass in lane
- She has low last hitting potential due to low AA damage
- Her damage is in her Q, which can midd.

AP nid is very fun tho once you get her rolling and she can make the most hilarious plays with her Q, but generally new players should stay clear from this build.

AD nid is easier to play and generally more reliable. You get to do lots of damage in your ult form, you can cs much easier than AP nid, and it's generally more accepted by the current player base, which means less people will scream at you in games, although people like to scream anyway...

Fs Son0fSilas

11-04-2012

Bruiser AD nid.

Resistance boots (armor/magic resist)
Frozen Mallet
Bloodthirster
MoM
QSS
Filler (damage, resistance, hp, whatever is needed)

Feel free to adjust build for opponent. Zerkers if you need the DPS over survive.

phatmonkey91

11-04-2012

Quote:
CounterSnipe:
AP nid
- She has no harass in lane
- She has low last hitting potential due to low AA damage
- Her damage is in her Q, which can midd.

AP nid is very fun tho once you get her rolling and she can make the most hilarious plays with her Q, but generally new players should stay clear from this build.

AD nid is easier to play and generally more reliable. You get to do lots of damage in your ult form, you can cs much easier than AP nid, and it's generally more accepted by the current player base, which means less people will scream at you in games, although people like to scream anyway...

I would disagree the idea that she has no harass, her skill shot is really easy to land and due to the fact taht almost every mid has low hp a single spear can force someone out of lane (if they have no hp pots). the game before the last one i did with her I was able to harass the enemy out of lane so much that i got a 3 lvl advantage on him by the time I was lvl 6.