@ RIOT why do champion reworks take longer than making a new champ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xyler94

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

guess you don't know how video game design works, here a pointer, they have roughly 6-8 champions being designed at once, it takes months to perfect them, take Ahri for instance, she was special sneak peaked about the end of september, and she was released December 14th

Morello

Lead Designer

11-14-2012
16 of 18 Riot Posts

Speaking from the gameplay side, reworks are harder than new champions - likely the champion being reworked has a fundamental flaw that needs to be fixed, but fixing that flaw has a 99% chance of making current fans upset - being broken does help things be more fun a lot of times

There's a lot of design work that goes into trying to fix a champion, but still make it fun to people who liked it originally, or making it better in a way that makes sense in some other direction. Many champions who still need this have a bit of this going on (Irelia, Soraka, Poppy). I think to get a rework done right, it can take double the time of making a new champion from a development and playtesting standpoint - depending on the level of design changes needed (Eve is notoriously long, Katarina and Xin were a lot faster. Heimerdinger and Karma are tougher.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue - meeting current expectations, while fixing problems and providing creative solutions, is actually one of the hardest things I think a content designer can take on.

CommandShockwave

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDominooo View Post
As someone who's trying to get into 3D, I would love love love this.
Ditto.

I'm absolutely enamored with the 3d models in this game, and I'd probably have a seizure of pure joy were there ever to be a spotlight of such things.

Demacian Might

11-14-2012

Morello, is there any work going on with Sion? What is your opinion, if you were to change him, on which build would take priority?
Because if there was, I would assume you would change him into an AP, rather than the Lifesteal pseudo tank support?

Not to derail. He's just in a bad spot, being split, and it pertains to the rework subject. Since I presume they take a lot more time then what people expect (Months) he might be being looked at?
I also imagine S3 items WILL help his AD build. Specifically BotRK and Hydras.

The Supreme Dirt

11-14-2012

Grumpy Monkey, as someone who wants to get into 3D design and the like where's a good place to start for someone who has very little experience?

Vacus

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Speaking from the gameplay side, reworks are harder than new champions - likely the champion being reworked has a fundamental flaw that needs to be fixed, but fixing that flaw has a 99% chance of making current fans upset - being broken does help things be more fun a lot of times

There's a lot of design work that goes into trying to fix a champion, but still make it fun to people who liked it originally, or making it better in a way that makes sense in some other direction. Many champions who still need this have a bit of this going on (Irelia, Soraka, Poppy). I think to get a rework done right, it can take double the time of making a new champion from a development and playtesting standpoint - depending on the level of design changes needed (Eve is notoriously long, Katarina and Xin were a lot faster. Heimerdinger and Karma are tougher.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue - meeting current expectations, while fixing problems and providing creative solutions, is actually one of the hardest things I think a content designer can take on.

As long as you're here talking about gameplay reworks.

Anything coming up for Kayle? You (meaning Riot) in the past have talked about giving her another rework, I'm curious if that's still something that's planned at some point or if it's gone away.

(I ask because I love Kayle. Everything about Kayle.)

Morello

Lead Designer

11-14-2012
17 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacus View Post
As long as you're here talking about gameplay reworks.

Anything coming up for Kayle? You (meaning Riot) in the past have talked about giving her another rework, I'm curious if that's still something that's planned at some point or if it's gone away.

(I ask because I love Kayle. Everything about Kayle.)
Less certain since she's actually getting play in skilled games. If she can work out, I'd rather let people have her since she's not ruining the game.

spyroripto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

I seeeeeeee

StormThief

11-14-2012

Grumpy Monkey dear, is your avatar that of a soul trapped [or whatever else souls do] on the Shadow Isles?
Just had the thought because of the Soraka's Excellent Adventures comics.

exe3

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Less certain since she's actually getting play in skilled games. If she can work out, I'd rather let people have her since she's not ruining the game.
I was looking forward to (and still feel she actually needs) the clean slate remake. Just because she may be seeing more play atm doesn't mean her design isn't terrible.

If nothing else do you think any work on her clean slate remake might make it onto another champion, maybe a new champion from Kayle and Morgana's world?