First Pick Top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Talon Xephon

11-03-2012

So I've started running into a problem in my draft mode games recently, I've started to get stuck with first pick on my team, I usually like Top lane but my problem is what is a good top lane that won't get countered hard by picking first.

I tend to go with Irelia a lot in these situations since with the sustain + Bladesurge makes last hitting real easy even if I get countered and pushed to turret.

Is there a better choice? I have Shyvana, Riven, Yorick, Warwick Malphite, and Volibear as well. Jayce is on sale this week but I have not played him and I tend to stray away from buying champs I have not tried.

Mageinta Warrior

11-03-2012

Why don't you just ask someone if they'll trade?

Friesguy

11-03-2012

Maybe try Jax if you're good with him? And Irelia is stellar, so you can't really go wrong with her if you play her right.

I'd highly suggest buying Jayce. He's banned a lot in draft mode, so that might steer you off of him. However, he's a champ who's nearly impossible to shut down because he farms from range, has great disengages, and is great mid-late game even if he loses lane. His mana hunger in lane has become a slight hindrance, but he's still stellar. He's tons of fun to play, and is relatively easy to learn. If you have any refunds available, I don't see a downside to trying him out at least. You're decision though, good luck.

(Why do I sound like a salesmen?) >_>

Nishaven90

11-04-2012

Generally first picking top should be avoided.

shorca

11-04-2012

if hes not banned pick shen

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-04-2012

Counters don't mean as much as most people think they mean unless you're at a pretty high Elo.

If Champion A is a counter to Champion B, and I have 100+ matches with Champion B, but you countered my pick by taking Champion A, who you've played twice, I'm going to beat you most of the time. Player skill is still the overriding factor.

Now, the question really is, do you have enough experience with your champion that you know how to deal with the so-called counter picks? Honestly, you should get REALLY good with a small handful of champions. Play tons of normals with that champion. Know every in and out, every combination of moves. Don't just go read a guide and think you've master the champion. Master him for yourself.

Amaerginn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

Heh, I have the same frustration in draft as a non-top player.

If you're first in the pick order and you call top, you're going to get counterpicked. Don't do it. Ask for a trade or play another role. Seriously, it's a foolish thing to do to pick top lane first. Especially if it's a champion that only goes top.

iSpiRiTz

11-04-2012

Personally, I have been picking Jarvan alot recently, and he is just brilliant top lane. I grab a philosopher's stone to start off and he cannot be beaten. His sustainability is unmatched, and he can't really be countered. I mean, he can go toe-to-toe with any melee. And ranged? He has his E-Q combo and then the slow, and that ranged is completely screwed.

SpyderJ

11-04-2012

As some have said, just make sure you have some picks which you know flawlessly. A few good ones are irelia as you mentioned that you like, Yorick is all in all safe, riven has no direct counter (If flawlessly played), Jax is nice and strong with few problem champions. You just want champs like those that you can play perfectly. 1 slip up against someone who is mediocre could mean a death, but if you know your champs better than they know their, then chances are that even if you have a "Hard counter" lane, you will still come out on top.