Master Yi for new players?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UndeadCreepshow

05-04-2012

I was wondering if Master Yi is good for new players to get used to the game? I started out with Annie and that was probably a bad choice for a beginner lol. I was thinking of going either Master Yi or Poppy. Suggestions?

Gath Immortal

05-04-2012

Best champion I could suggest for a new player is probably Dr. Mundo. He seems hard at first but his build and his abilities are all fairly simple, just build warmog's armor and spam cleavers. Be smart about using his ult and take summoner heal with you and you will probably never die unless you intend to. Just don't give in to the godlike feeling you get from being able to take so much damage, you still can't 1v5 the enemy team.

The problem with champions like master yi and poppy is that they tend to support poor play. Everyone wants to carry and get absurd amounts of kills when they first start, but most of the time you end up going 2/4 or 6/6 at best, and 6/6 is still feeding.

Your first priority should be to learn the basics of the game. Try a bunch of different champions, if you stick to just one or two you tend to have a very skewed outlook on the game at first, I certainly did. Trying different strategies is key to understanding all of the gameplay elements involved in League.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is this: Don't Die. Ever. Obviously that's not a realistic expectation, but it should be your overall goal. Suiciding for one kill will just feed that champion even though you are getting gold too, and eventually the combination of snowballing and player skill means that one of you will get crushed, and you don't want it to be you.

So overall, try lots of champions until you hit level 30, Knowing the game is far more important than knowing a single champion. A truely good LoL player can pick up a champion for the first time and still do well simply because they know a lot about every champion and every aspect of the game. It's better to be well rounded than to be a master in a single area

TP HealJunkieGG

05-04-2012

Annie is by far one of the simplest of mages to start with.. But if your going for drop dead stupidly easy beginner mode, run Yi, playing a good poppy is not the easyist, but if you get good with her, can carry hard. I carryed my EU West account to 1700 running nothing but poppy top

HORRORZzZ

11-03-2012

yea cuz read this

This is what i do and i destroy the enemy team.

1) get boots and make them into bezerkers
2) get phantom dancer (through zeal)
3) stack phantom dancers (2 of them)
4) stack phantom dancers (3 of them)
5) Get a Blood Thirster or Infinity Edge (doesn't matter which one you pick, next item is the other one)
6) Get a Blood Thirster or Infinity Edge (the other blade yu didn;t pick from before)

oh and remember, summoner spells should be ghost and something else cuz yi's ult is running faster with greater attack speed and ghost is running faster, so if someone with really low hp runs and yu cant catch him use ghost and ult, then turn on E (higher damage, with all items it will be around 600 damage each hit) but if yu still are too far away use yur Q and hit them hard, they can;t survive unless there is a turret/enemy champ chasing yu. Oh and i forgot due to the items and Q and E, if yu face a enemy with a great amount of hp difference like 500-1000 don;t worry yu should do fine, but depends on what champ they are....

Elodin

11-03-2012

Ehh, I wouldn't bother with Master Yi. He's not really terrible but there are just better/easier champs to pick up and learn.

Yes, he's cheap IP wise, but you might as well just go with Poppy (though they are totally different champions)

lastchancexi

11-03-2012

I dunno. I wouldn't play Yi. No CC. Doesn't do anything in teamfights. Play Xin. Play Taric/Nunu, tanky supports are amazing for new players because so many lanes are duo lanes. Zyra's great too. (of course, she requires a lot of IP).

As for 450 IP melee champions, Garen's pretty damn good.

Season 3 might change things, but right now, melee champions that aren't tanky are basically all trash.

Judas Priest

11-04-2012

Master Yi only suits new players, since he won't work properly on high level/ELO. He is a squishy melee, which is a terrible feature combination.