*UPDATED* Top 10 Solo Top Champs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hellrazor22

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arcane One View Post
1)Shen - Awesome split pushing and op ultimate ability, he probably isn't the best champion for specific situations but you shouldn't have to worry too much about being counterpicked.

2)Nidalee - She has the built in "wards", excellent damage with her javelin throw, plenty of mobility, and just straight out raw damage in her cougar form. I personally love her and definetely think she deserves this spot amd could go on forever. Be bit careful about your matchup though.

3)Vladimir - His sustain is amazing, I can sit around the first 20 minutes without having to recall with this guy. Spamming his Tranfusion does massive damage and can be followed by Hemoplague. He's also amazing at farming and can escape most situations.

4)Jayce - Laning phase is op... this is an excellent duelling champion against just about every matchup. I can't say his teamfight is as good though which is why he isn't like #1. Still, a very deep champion with a lot to contribute.

5)Riven - The bane of all squishy champions. Although commonly known as the counter for squishy champions I believe she also does extremely well against bruisers. You better be a pretty dang good player or your in for a ride. She also snowballs like crazy.

6)Akali - I think we can all agree that there probably isn't a better 1v1 champion out there right now except maybe a fed Katarina. I absolutely love her Shadow Dance paired with her mark + slash burst combo. Her Twilight Shroud takes practice to use correctly but is undoubtedly worth taking the time to do so.

7)Malphite - Champions are banned for a reason. Malphite is banned for his incredible teamfight potential. His laning phase falls just slightly short against common matchups to be put any higher but his ultimate is da' bomb. He's also excellent at chasing with his q.

8)Rumble - He could probably be put higher on the list but for some reason I thought this was a good spot for him. His poke with e and anti-poke + mobility with w is fantastic against most matchups. But most of his damage comes from his trademark Flamespitter and The Equalizer. His ultimate in my opinion is one of the best in the game with it's long range and incredible damage.

9)Wukong - A very situational champion because of how easily he's counterpicked. On the other hand if you get a good matchup his trading will screw over the opponent in lane. But that's not even the thing that he does best. In teamfights his ultimate can completely change the game after knocking everyone up and taking out a signifigant part of their health.

10)Olaf - His poke/chase ability with q is pretty good espcially when paired with a Reckless Swing. Sustain on him is decent too with his built in lifesteal. Not much else to stay other than he just has a really good kit which is usable throughout the entirety of the game.

Honorable Mentions (In no particular order):
-Renekton
-Irelia
-Darius
-Singed
-Cho'Gath
-Lee Sin
-Yorick
I agree with the list, but I just wanted to ask about Akali. She is my main but I didn't have muchc opportunity to do ranked with her. Biggest problem that I face is, everytime I would pick her, there seems to be incredibly strong counter-pick for me. So everytime I go Akali I whether face Jax, Irelia, Olaf or someone similar to that. Am I wrong or maybe I am just supposed to wait for ganks and farm as best as I can. How do you play against these champs who dominate your early 1v1. Thanks

HovnivŠl

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyImportan View Post
I'm aware that there are multitudes of "lists" like this, but I noticed that most of them are at best a few weeks to a few months old, and the vast majority of them are far from comprehensive. Didn't think it could hurt to at least kick start an up-to-date thread regarding the most viable current solo top champions, for new players looking for advice on who to buy next, as well as experienced players looking to try something different.

So please, if you feel like a champ is the end-all, be-all of solo top, explain why in detail. "He/she scales hard" is not sufficient. :P
Lol,nobody in this thread mentioned j4,he has a pretty strong laning phase and great cc.I main him and i **** on90%of matchups.
J4 strong guys.
Btw-this guys ult counters olaf too hard.when i see olaf with ghost against my j4,ht makes me chuckle;-)

Crastym

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor22 View Post
I agree with the list, but I just wanted to ask about Akali. She is my main but I didn't have muchc opportunity to do ranked with her. Biggest problem that I face is, everytime I would pick her, there seems to be incredibly strong counter-pick for me. So everytime I go Akali I whether face Jax, Irelia, Olaf or someone similar to that. Am I wrong or maybe I am just supposed to wait for ganks and farm as best as I can. How do you play against these champs who dominate your early 1v1. Thanks
I main Akali, and I have little to no trouble with any of the champions that you have mentioned. I've dominated lanes with Cho'gath in it on more than one occassion (until late game), and I've been able to hold a lane and cs fairly well with a Jarvan. Akali is one of those champions that truly requires skill (mainly her smokescreen and the fact that her cooldowns are so short that you can end up in a random place and have to stop to wonder where you are, how you got there, and what you were doing).

Champions that really give Akali trouble are Yorik and Rumble, though I have yet to play against more than a couple Rumbles. There are probably a couple more unconventional picks. True tanks > assassins 85% of the time.

P.S. Lee Sin is a dirty ******* and probably one of the best tops, if not the best top, to use against Akali. Renekton also has the potential to ruin Akali's day, but it truly depends on the skill of the Renekton.

hellrazor22

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crastym View Post
I main Akali, and I have little to no trouble with any of the champions that you have mentioned. I've dominated lanes with Cho'gath in it on more than one occassion (until late game), and I've been able to hold a lane and cs fairly well with a Jarvan. Akali is one of those champions that truly requires skill (mainly her smokescreen and the fact that her cooldowns are so short that you can end up in a random place and have to stop to wonder where you are, how you got there, and what you were doing).

Champions that really give Akali trouble are Yorik and Rumble, though I have yet to play against more than a couple Rumbles. There are probably a couple more unconventional picks. True tanks > assassins 85% of the time.

P.S. Lee Sin is a dirty ******* and probably one of the best tops, if not the best top, to use against Akali. Renekton also has the potential to ruin Akali's day, but it truly depends on the skill of the Renekton.
I agree with akali being good against Cho if well played, even Jarvan too. After all they are not so aggressive as Jax, Ire, Riven and Olaf. I cannot see how I could trade off with Jax or Ire without a jungler on my side. While I am halfway through getting their stuns off, I am already sitting at half health. It just seems that beefy bruiser tops are too much for my burst, especially if I didn't have great game till 6.

whatever L

12-04-2012

1. Wukong - Great Q, great juker with W, great gap closer with E (don't have to dash towards the enemy directly, can dash to his nearby minion) and that ulti...usually ensures kills for ganks and really good team fight ulti.
2. Darius - Great pusher and dueler (sometimes), the pull and slow man! A true damage ulti that does additional damage depending the amount of his passive stacks. (YOU DON'T WANT TO 1V1 DARIUS)
3. Jayce - Can be either ranged or melee. 6 secs and you have most of your skills back. Great dueler late game (He can beat almost anyone late game in 1v1)
4. Lee Sin - Sustain, dash, slow, revealing enemies (Shaco has no chance) and a kick that will push you back miles away.
5. Singed - Kind of continous harass with Q, E and R. Good at farming but really weak early game against any other solo top like Darius or Lee Sin. (Chase Singed. I dare you. I double dare you.)
6. Shen - Alright sustain, tanky, that taunt is just good for ganks. Grab teleport and he can go anyway on the map.
7. Rumble - Continuous Q harass without auto attacking your enemy won't make the enemy minions attack you. Doesn't rely on mana and skills have quite fast cool down. Grab a Rylai's and he can almost permanently slow enemies. Kickass ulti that can turn games around.
8. Irelia - One of the best farmers with one of the best passives in the whole game. True damage auto attacks for a few seconds. Really really nice skills and hard to gank.
9. Jax - Extremely hard to counter and farm pretty well. All of his skills are just kickass and the damage output...
10. Garen - This seems like a weird pick but I think Garen is just really sweet counter for a lot of solo top champions that rely on skills to do the most damage (Like Jayce and Riven) His silence gives him a nice movement speed boost. His W gives him some nice resistance and the ulti is just incredible finisher (Although not as good as Darius's) It is true that he falls off late game but early game he is really good and late game he can just focus on enemy AP carry.

This order is not in any particular order at all.

Honourable mentions (in no particular order)
1. Vladimir
2. Olaf
3. Renekton
4. Malphite
5. Yorick
6. Cho' Gath

ASAP Prince

12-05-2012

1. Irelia (Incredibly Strong Lane Phase, Melts Carries, Easy to Farm with, Relatively hard to gank)
2. Shen (Split Push Ability, Incredible Global Strength, Strong Laning Phase)
3. Jayce (Melee/Range Harass, Strong % HP Damage, Incredibly Poke)
4. Darius (Dunkmaster, Downright Darius, Incredibly True Damage, Best Tanky DPS Ratios)
5. Yorick (High Sustain, Multiple Carries, Strong Poke, Beats Most Top)
6. Kennen (AoE CC, Incredibly Harass, Wins Most Matchups)
7. Vladimir (Good Harass, Great Teamfight, Double AP)
8. Rumble (Incredible Scale Ability, DPS In Top-Lane insane, Double AP, Wins Most Match-ups)
9. Olaf (Strongest Top In the Game, Incredible DPS Ablity, Rush to Carries, Ignore CC)
10. Jax (Scaling Master, Strongest 1v1, Lane Dominant, Farming Master, Tanky DPS)

Elier

12-05-2012

Kayle is actually a very strong pick, she counters all melee top (except for yorick, that is an even match), slow, poke all day, excelent pushing/farming, and she can beat darius 1v1 (ult to couneter his ult gg).

Not to mention that she becomes a scary ADC lategame that also provides a lot of utility to the team (invul ult / heal with move speed / aoe magic damage / 15% armor shred / slow).

JudgÍ

01-11-2013

Did we forget about Mordekaiser?

Bladez Edge

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiemaster View Post
Wukong is actually quite good. He has arguably the best teamfight capability out of any top laner in the game. The only problem is he is somewhat weak in the lane phase. Many of the common top lane picks can beat him somewhat easily, unless the Wukong player is extremely good with him. But he does scale better into late game than any of the current top laners, except for maybe Poppy or Nasus if you're stupid and let them farm. His ult is game breaking, knocking up the most of the enemy team, if placed well, and dealing 200(+120% of total AD) at level 16 every second for 4 seconds, for a total of 800(+480% of total AD). The only bad thing thing is his mediocre lane phase, but even if he gets shut down, he still has amazing utility with his ult.
No offense, but funny how his laning is quite strong, but his ganks are just inevitable.
I main Wukong and his laning is great. Many Wukongs just farm under the turret. Remember, you got a lot of tricks up your sleeve with Decoy, I just keep pushing, and when jungler comes to gank, I just stop, they assume I went back, I go into brush, they come back, I Decoy "between" the brushes, (always gets them) and yeah, make it out without a scratch.
And yes, when you use your ult right, someone dies. :P

Climowitz

03-13-2013

Why no one posted nasus, good health easier to last hit as long as minute goes by, and wither can take out any ad jungler on the gank