Okay, so. The New Lore.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2012

Riot, please just tell us something about where you're going with it. I'm not saying anything new here, but I'm hoping to try and focus what I view as the problems.

Honestly, I don't mind a lot of the new Lore and I suspect this forum as a whole has a truely massive case of Rose-Tinted-Glasses Syndrome. But the main problem lies in that we're getting so much less of it now. Zed's Lore would've been so much better if there'd been some build-up. A "Ionian Authorities Investigating Ninja Murder" headline weeks ago, with a prepared statement by Shen explaining why he felt like it was part of the balance of the world would have whet a ton of appetites. Zed's Lore would've had context, the Ionian authorities/police would look a hell of a lot less dumb and uncaring about their hero's temple being taken over and ransacked, we would've had a timeframe (did this happen last week or four years ago?).

We need more Lore. And ideally, less of it to be retcons. I understand why Karthus had to become a Shadow Isles champion, because he's a Liche and it's literally the Isles of the Dead. But giving us his past isn't context for the change your making, it's a retcon.

The Journal of Justice let you make these sorts of changes without erasing anything else we thought of/knew/loved as canon. With a sense of relavation, not disenfrancisement.

Even if the old Lores are canon, if they can't be accessed without going to a third party site, something is horribly wrong. You're not a book series or comic serial; supply and access aren't limiting factors.

Also, removing a champion's reasons for joining the League was flat out stupid and denied you a method of helping us understand their motivations.

The Journal of Justice and the League Judgements may have constrained you in the ways you can present the Lore, Riot, but removing them constrained you even further, because now any change or relevation is seen as stomping over the old Lore.

tl;dr New methods of Lore are really, really desperately needed.

What're everyone else's problems with the new!Lore?

KiteMeGood

11-02-2012

I think you summed up it completely. This is going to be a long list of mistakes Riot is going to make as DOTA keeps improving.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

To be fair, DoTA2 has a long way to go before it reaches the Lore quality that LoL used to have. It's Lore is a disjointed mess.

Glorious Rise

11-03-2012

In all honesty and practicalness, if you want more lore, you're going to have to get used to having less new champions frequently for reasons I'm sure you'd understand. As of now, it's about 2-3 weeks before another champion is released. To keep up with all the lore that is backlogged as well of what is to come is quite a task. In other words, as of now Riots resources are toward more champions with little lore rather than few champions fully fleshed out. I understand what we all want here, but if we were to have it our way with the lore as a close priority to the champion then we'd only now be getting Draven instead of Zed.

Cerubois

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Rise View Post
In all honesty and practicalness, if you want more lore, you're going to have to get used to having less new champions frequently for reasons I'm sure you'd understand. As of now, it's about 2-3 weeks before another champion is released. To keep up with all the lore that is backlogged as well of what is to come is quite a task. In other words, as of now Riots resources are toward more champions with little lore rather than few champions fully fleshed out. I understand what we all want here, but if we were to have it our way with the lore as a close priority to the champion then we'd only now be getting Draven instead of Zed.
The lore team has kept up with champion releases in the past, as well as coming up with a boatload more.
Were you here for the JoJ? The team not only created an intricate background for the champions that fit into the lore, they told us what was going on in the rest of the world (and set up stories for future champions). The amount of things they covered was staggering, and to be a bit honest, a little overwhelming. They produced so much information every month it was hard to absorb it all.

I'm not going to say the lore team now is doing nothing (though they refuse to tell us about it either way), but writing a couple paragraphs once or twice a month? Easy, especially when most of the new champs either have relations to each other, or no relations to others at all. Least of all a reason to be here.

They've had a year to come up with their new strategy. We've received maybe a tiny piece of it with the new Twisted Treeline Altar Quotes (though we lost a bunch of old lore with the Twisted Treeline move/Shadow Isles appearance itself).

We're anxiously waiting for any news or explanations, and now we're being ignored for getting frustrated when we don't receive any. Why do they need to change things? What direction are they taking the lore in? What do they hope to achieve? The answers to these questions could explain everything and give us piece of mind.

But all we get is "Do whatever you guys want. We're gonna do our own thing too, but you can decide what makes sense until we tell you otherwise."

DrTemptragon

11-03-2012

In addition to the above, when the JoJ was coming out regularly, champion releases were more frequent than they are now. Every 2 weeks hasn't been a Riot goal for about 8 months now.

Mrkegger

11-04-2012

I agree with OP. The JoJ is awesome because it holds excited lore nerds like myself over until the release. If they did that they would see a happier community. Not that the community is not happy but background story keeps people pulled in.

Vrouge

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemptragon View Post
To be fair, DoTA2 has a long way to go before it reaches the Lore quality that LoL used to have. It's Lore is a disjointed mess.
You're only saying that because you have never even seen Dota 2's lore. Long way to go? Dota 2's lore is a lot more compelling to read than the **** Riot spouts out nowadays.

Selwyn1

11-26-2012

yeah they really need to bring back the Journal of Justice it would help with a lot of situations.

RadiantJustice

12-05-2012

Forgive me for asking, but Is there still the same number of Riot employees in the creative department? Unless they've been working on a novel I fail to understand how they have only been capable of doing champion descriptions and teasers before a champion release compared to the same plus the judgements and JoJs they had going before. Either they are working on a novel (not likely), they don't care about LoL lore anymore, or they have absolutely no idea about what to do.

Whatever happened to making judgements for the old champions. There was Ryze and then nothing... I highly doubt making judgements with some of the old champions will interfere or retcon the lore we have now. Why not flesh out someone with virtually no lore like Sivir ? Unless of course they will treat it with the same quality they treated Katarina...