A way to solve the "elo hell" problem.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zachizblack

11-05-2012

1: alot of the "good code followers" are some of the worst players.
2: i trash talk and average better stats than most people in my elo and i've been banned before.
3; That will just screw up people around that elo if bad players get reset to that elo.
4: just because your parents spoil you with LoL stuff/Or you waste your money on a game doesnt mean you should get perks.

Boss Niji

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclesian View Post
There are many of us who are trapped in elo hell. We can't get out and why? Not because we suck or we are bad team mates. In fact many of us have been playing for a long time and have gotten quite good and most roles and with many champs and builds. How is it that we can never escape elo hell you ask? If we are good we should be able to carry our whole team of noobs, trollz, and laggers right? Wrong... You cannot stop the lagger, the troll, or the noob because they multiply. So what then is the remedy for us good and skilled players who have dumped hundreds of dollars in this game?

A quarterly reset of all low elo rankings.

How will this make players happy you ask?

1) The good summoner's code upholders can have a chance to escape elo hell
2) The bad summoner's code breakers and the laggers will stay in low elo.

It's that simple. A quarterly reset of all low elo rankings will give players like me who have spent $200+ on this game a chance to escape elo hell and join the true community that more honorably represents the League of Legends.

Low elo players have these infectious symptoms:
-trash talking their own team
-trolling
-lagging/ feeding
-feeding without the excuse of lagging
-and generally ruining the LoL experience for us who have spent $200+ dollars on the game and who faithfully uphold the summoner's code, and who bring new players into the game.

I am a skilled player who contributes to the forum and who upholds the summoner's code. I have never been banned since the game came out. When I bought my copy, it came in a box. However, I am trapped in elo hell and get made fun of for my low elo even though I don't belong there.

This idea will keep the haters in hateland and give us good players a chance to feel what LoL was meant to be.

Please consider this, up-vote, and bump!!!

To the end of elo hell!!!!

Edit---------------

Ok some of you are obviously not in elo hell so its easy for you to say nonsence like what someone you have said. Though a few of you do have very knowledgeable things to say, I think you are all missing the point of this thread.

Elo hell is called elo hell for a reason. They don't call it elo purgatory or elo time-out. Its elo hell because it completely sux and theres no way to get out of it. Every ranked game I play I end up with 1-3 feeders, 1 lagger, 2-3 people who say terrible things to their own team mates, and 1-2 people who don't understand meta and or are testing out new champs and builds. No matter how good you are, if the lagger, noob, and or troll on your team feeds, you are going to get stomped. My stats in ranked games may not look that good but not cuz I'm not good but because people feed and I become useless, dying quickly and dealing no damage.

Even with a good dou partener, which I have, it's still elo hell. I'v been trying to start a 5v5 ranked team but people are so cruel in this game it's very hard to find good honorable players.

I'd really like to get a feel for the uper elo so I can experience a better side of the LoL community.

This is not true, the best way to escape elo hell is to invoke change in the trolls and provide constructive feed back to the unskilled players(including compensating for their perhaps innate lack of talent or inability to increase their skill due to some disabilities or such), Also, play a champion in a role that can personally and by themselves carry a game to victory(garen, darius, jax, etc) with out playing your opponents, If you do not have the skill to carry your whole team on your back, then duo queue with someone you have enough synchronization with to carry the team on two back(i.e. nautilus + darius bot or some such). For starters, to escape elo hell you must understand that the "meta" does not work with or against trolls, you are more likely to win against better players via tripple mid, roaming taric, lvl 8 nexus victory(duo top vs solo top continious push, average level of the tops is both 6, with all other players on the map being lvl 3 at most). If your team has great teamwork but poor skill you can use back dooring strats on a champion that can kill 2-3 people under the turret and still take the turret(darius, yii, tryndamere, jax, lulu, and any ap aoe nuke CC locking champ OR assasin with lichbane(fizz,diana,etc)) though 90% of the time your 4 will be vs there 5 and surviging just long enough to beat them in the base race.

The most crippling feature of why people stay in elo hell, is at least 4 people on your team are WILLING to surrender, which means they don't have confidence(give it to them with your words!), or have low morale due to the troll(counter it with awesome and accurate compliments, advice, etc). There are plenty of trolls at high elos too, they are just insanely skilled jerkwads....doesn't stop teams from still winning anyway.
and I've won enough RANKED 5s matches where we have 2 disconnected/rage quit and STILL WIN by out playing the enemy team, which is very easy to do unless they have people exactly like your 3.

So to surmise A way to solve the "elo hell" problem is a) become a better player yourself b) be a shining beacon of positive reinforcement and constructive critisizim of your team, praise every victory, narrow escape, ward placement, golem/dragon/baron steal, criticize the mistakes by making suggjestions on how they could have avoided it: "I was getting dived 4v1 under my turret at lvl 2 how was I supposed to live!" and proceed to give advice on how they could have avoided it i.e. "dang dude that sucks, I should have come try to help you, i'm so sorry." etc, and of course when your katarina/maokai that is solo bot gets dived 4v1 and gets a quadra kill and lives, you must praise them IMENSELY and proceed to back them up at all times and give advice on situations they should avoid for the rest of the game, helping your most fed and skilled player is the best way to quickly achieve victory, if you don't know their play style or can't follow their bravery because of your own cowardice, you should let them know right away that they will be on their own, they will be expecting their team...to you know...help them secure kills etc if they dive for a quick quadra/penta, let them know before they ever start doing it that you won't have the balls to help them because you are a safe player, or passive, or defensive playstyle so they will KNOW that they are essentially on their own, it will cause them to make better plays with more confidence ( can I penta them 1v5?, no probably not, or yes definitely with that one that low and both of their stolen jungle buffs, etc), this will also PREVENT them from raging, since they knew not to expect help, etc. This is especially true with the skilled trolls or "bads" as you might call them in your group, remember some people have such immense talent and skill that even having a terrible attitude toward their own team, being negative, and constantly trying to troll surrender can still entirely carry your team by themselves to victory IF THEY SO CHOOSE (Which many don't because they are constantly testing your social attitudes, which is more interesting then "winning"). So what YOU must do to escape elo hell is again:

Be a bastion of positive reinforcement and attitude to your team, be knowledable and constructive, be an honorable opponent too(this alters how the enemy team reacts to you in battle as well, this is also called psychological warefare and does indeed include positive warefare as well as negative, as you are manipulating them with kindness, praise, humor, and sportsmanship to alter how they react and behave toward you, if you are a perceptive individual you can rapidly use this to your advantage to pull off stealth victories).

The 2nd way is, find a friend that is very high elo that doesn't mind potentially tanking theirs to help you out(they won't since they are your friend after all), duo queue with them to get into an adjusted bracket(I.e. you are 300 elo, they are 2237, you will get grouped in some 1000 range elo or so, and gain considerable gains per win and be grouped with more comfortable team mates, be sure to pick roles that aren't crucial(i.e. don't go mid and jungle, go mid and top, duo bot, or support and jungle, duo mid, duo top, etc).

Selcopa

11-05-2012

I mean honestly you are operating under the premise that you are good at this game. And the problem is in the system and not with your skill.

The problem with this train of thought. Is that while we have plenty cases of skilled players dominating low elo play with as high as 95% winrate. But we don't really have cases of good players being perpetually trapped in low elo. So you need some proof that you aren't making mistakes in order for your elo hell idea to hold some weight

Grab lol recorder and upload some of your games. This will either allow you to prove you are skilled with bad teammates. Or you will get the tips you need to get better. Personally I've been as low as 1100. And have peaked at 1977. Since I've been plat I've smurfed on accounts ranging from 400 elo to 1400. Primarily in the 1000 level, I'm currently 25-1 and my only loss I blame myself because while I went 22/5. I could have easily won the game.

So my personal experience I'm pretty skeptical that you are a great player with bad teammates. You are more than willing to post replays and prove your argument. But I just can't take your post seriously when all evidence suggest the core problem is you just being unskilled

Spiro

11-05-2012

The "solution" to "Elo hell" is to realize that you truly belong at your current Elo.

Meleoffs

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclesian View Post
There are many of us who are trapped in elo hell. We can't get out and why? Not because we suck or we are bad team mates. In fact many of us have been playing for a long time and have gotten quite good and most roles and with many champs and builds. How is it that we can never escape elo hell you ask? If we are good we should be able to carry our whole team of noobs, trollz, and laggers right? Wrong... You cannot stop the lagger, the troll, or the noob because they multiply. So what then is the remedy for us good and skilled players who have dumped hundreds of dollars in this game?

A quarterly reset of all low elo rankings.

How will this make players happy you ask?

1) The good summoner's code upholders can have a chance to escape elo hell
2) The bad summoner's code breakers and the laggers will stay in low elo.

It's that simple. A quarterly reset of all low elo rankings will give players like me who have spent $200+ on this game a chance to escape elo hell and join the true community that more honorably represents the League of Legends.

Low elo players have these infectious symptoms:
-trash talking their own team
-trolling
-lagging/ feeding
-feeding without the excuse of lagging
-and generally ruining the LoL experience for us who have spent $200+ dollars on the game and who faithfully uphold the summoner's code, and who bring new players into the game.

I am a skilled player who contributes to the forum and who upholds the summoner's code. I have never been banned since the game came out. When I bought my copy, it came in a box. However, I am trapped in elo hell and get made fun of for my low elo even though I don't belong there.

This idea will keep the haters in hateland and give us good players a chance to feel what LoL was meant to be.

Please consider this, up-vote, and bump!!!

To the end of elo hell!!!!

Edit---------------

Ok some of you are obviously not in elo hell so its easy for you to say nonsence like what someone you have said. Though a few of you do have very knowledgeable things to say, I think you are all missing the point of this thread.

Elo hell is called elo hell for a reason. They don't call it elo purgatory or elo time-out. Its elo hell because it completely sux and theres no way to get out of it. Every ranked game I play I end up with 1-3 feeders, 1 lagger, 2-3 people who say terrible things to their own team mates, and 1-2 people who don't understand meta and or are testing out new champs and builds. No matter how good you are, if the lagger, noob, and or troll on your team feeds, you are going to get stomped. My stats in ranked games may not look that good but not cuz I'm not good but because people feed and I become useless, dying quickly and dealing no damage.

Even with a good dou partener, which I have, it's still elo hell. I'v been trying to start a 5v5 ranked team but people are so cruel in this game it's very hard to find good honorable players.

I'd really like to get a feel for the uper elo so I can experience a better side of the LoL community.
I've spent hundreds of dollars on this game (a good 400 or 500 dollars) and believe strongly that you are 100% retarded. Just because you have a checkbook doesn't mean you're any good. I am in elo hell, I was even further in elo hell when I realized I wasn't the gift of god I thought I was and told myself "man up *******" and got better. I had laggers. I had trolls. I had feeders. I still won 80% of my games up until just under 1200.

Sun TzU II

11-06-2012

Now if elo hell really does exist for so many of you supposedly good players out there, how do you explain high elo smurf players who easily get out of elo hell and swiftly hike up the ladder?

Last weekend, i had the chance to play 21 games on this smurf account. And guess what? I went 20-1 and now I stand at 1853 elo - just above the platinum cut off line. I didn't find it difficult to navigate out of the pits of elo world.

Having climbed from 1250 elo to platinum, believe me, the players down there are significantly worse than the players up there

Good Guy Gut

11-06-2012

If you wanna follow through with this idea and if you really did put alot of money and can't get out of elo hell then...... make people pay RP for this reset..... trolls won't put money into trolling, so only serious players will buy this, also if you do buy a reset then it should show your lowest rating just like it shows your highest. just my input.

ninjagear

11-06-2012

i will solve ur elo hell problem in three simple steps:

1. realize that figments of ur imagination cannot control u
2. take a deep breath
3. realize that elo hell is a figment of ur imagination

problem solved, ur welcome

Amatzikahni

11-06-2012

What I think people are missing is not just in terms of skill but also in terms of playstyle. Whenever I queue solo, I get players like me who know how to initiate, back off, farm under pressure, and make good plays. I can easily make a suggestion and everyone's receptive to it outside of trolls. But whenever I queue with friends at a lesser bracket, everyone starts arguing and I can't get anything across, and when I make a call and people don't follow through because they don't trust me or have enough game knowledge to know that it's the right call, so they yell and complain and rage harder while also missing the play.

With these different playstyles, you need to play differently. I was stuck around 1400 for over 100 games, and as soon as I got over 1500 I flew to 1650 in under 30 games. I hadn't really adjusted my play at all; it's just that people play differently at different brackets and that requires for you to carry/play differently at different brackets. In some Elo brackets you might be best off muting everyone and just playing while KSing and trying to get as fed as possible so that you can destroy the enemy team as soon as a fight breaks out, and at other Elo brackets it might be better to feed your teammates and steer them in the right direction with good pings and chat. Also, sometimes people don't know how to set up or engage in ganks and other times they do. And again, sometimes people will chase the 1/5 health Teemo across the entire map after a teamfight instead of trying to win, so you need to play appropriately at each level in order to progress.

Of course, the best things you can do are win your lane and dominate on CS since they minimize the enemy threat and make you fed. If you can do that consistently, then you should start focusing on other areas to improve your play at each Elo bracket.

TheirAllTaken

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofo View Post
How about ELO depending more so on how you do in a game, then if your team wins or not. If your team wins u get more of a boost, however the losing team doesn't lose elo for say. Depending on how each person does individually / you personally.

Lets say your support, u go 0 kills 3 deaths 16 assist out of a total of 23 kills for your team. Based off your stats for that game you would net you a + elo rating at the end of the game. Not as much if you won, but a + elo rating.

Could also work for the winning team, it's a 5v5 you have a player on your team who picked mid, and ends up feeding... You all get + elo for the win, but depending on stats for the game, players would get a different amount of + elo. The "feeder" would obviously not get as much + elo as the other 4 players, based on his stats.

It would have to be a formula like a certain amount of + / - for winning & losing the game. Then based off the role you play, certain + and -'s for kills, deaths and assist. Would be great if you could add ward dropping for supports, and other team oriented stuff.

Any thoughts?

elo would basically go off how you personally do in games, rather then if your team wins / loses. Obviously if you feed and lose, you will be losing ELO. It rewards good play, and doesn't punish for bad teammates imo.

Still, ELO is a relative ranking of the entire player base, not just a number on how well you are doing. For example with the proposed method, yes peoples ELO will effectively seem higher, but at the same time, those who are truly the best will climb even higher. Thus, in this conclusion, "ELO hell" will simply be a higher value and player factors would unlikely change.