Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What is the Parts of speech of carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Davidt97

11-02-2012

What is the Parts of speech of carry in "adc"
N or V?
Does it mean ranged?

im chinese, sorry for my poor english

Creepy4

11-02-2012

(If I understand your question correctly)

adc = attack-damage carry

"carry" would be a noun in this case, "attack-damage" would be an adjective describing which kind of carry the carry is (another kind of carry being an ability-power carry, or apc).

Xanif

11-02-2012

I am sorry but I don't understand you question. I will do my best to cover what I think is your question.

"Adc" means Attack Damage carry. It is a champion that starts relatively weak but gets strong with items much faster than other champions. It has nothing to do with whether or not the champion is ranged or melee.

Here is a list with other LoL terminology: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=110065

Please let me know if I answered your question.

Davidt97

11-02-2012

Thanks
i just wanna know carry is a noun or not
My friend tell me that carry means ranged and Tryn is not a adc

OriginalJack

11-02-2012

adc usually implies ranged carry (like ashe or graves etc), when you are talking about somebody like fiora, trynd or ad yi you would usually say "meele carry"

Xanif

11-02-2012

Almost always an ADC is a ranged. Your friend is correct that trynd is not an ADC, he is a jungler or a bruiser, a character designed to do less damage than a carry while being more difficult to kill than one. Examples of ADC are: Ashe, Vayne, Corki, Graves, Kog'Maw.

The only kind of exception I can think off of a possible non-ranged ADC is Kayle who only gains ranged attack with an ability, but generally she is not played as a carry.

Davidt97

11-02-2012

so carry can be non-ranged?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-02-2012

Typically it is used as a noun, when referring to the role a champion fulfills:
- ADC: Attack Damage carry - ranged AD is implied.
- AP carry: mages
- Melee AD carry - Tryn/Yi/Fiora

However, it can also be used as a verb, but it has a different connotation. This is used when saying someone 'carried' the game, or asking someone to 'carry' you.

(Hope that cleared some things up, English can be a confusing language, even for those of us born here. )

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-02-2012

Quote:
Davidt97:

Yes and no.

In the current meta, the ADC bottom is always ranged, as they're needed to siege towers as well as deal reliable damage. (They're a lot easier to protect than a melee carry.)

AP Carries can be melee, as they're less reliant on their auto attacks, though melee APCs are usually more burst/utility oriented, or have significant ranged abilities. Part of this is allowable because mages are less reliant on auto attacks, and part is that they can front-load their damage more easily than AD carries.

Melee 'AD carries' like Master Yi, on the other hand, aren't in a very good spot at the moment. Most of this is due to lack of itemization options, but some of it is also due to the meta and design principles. It's really freaking hard to design a melee carry that can stay alive to deal damage, deal the damage of a carry ('tons of damage'), but not be over-powered.

OriginalJack

11-02-2012

Quote:
Davidt97:

Yes, but when you say "adc" then you're talking about a ranged carry.