Vote for the latest desire in Ping Technology!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Edvard Rubeartis

11-01-2012

Problem: Ping spikes in game make players suck regardless of ability or effort.

Attempt at 'peaceful' solution: Create an info bar displayed on the lol client that pre-warns players to possible or probable lag issues.

Ok, so we all know the issue. We have all been in that game where suddenly our ping goes from 30 jumping to 999! I've seen many issues in the game get resolved since I started playing more than half a year ago.

But this problem has persisted. Lets get real. I'm no programer, but I know that making a script that would display the servers ping on the lol client menu and not just in the game would have reduced some of the bad attitude I got for "sucking." Another idea is when you hit PLAY it would show you your current ping so you could then decide whether to continue and commit to the game, or withdraw until it is 'stable.'

I know there is a lot going on, but I feel that the time should be given to solve this issue and not just kick it under the rug. If I am in the vast minority, please end my ignorance and educate me. But regardless, that will not negate the importance of creating a healthy and welcoming gaming experience (which we all want) in all areas of the game. The importance of solving this issue is more important, in my opinion, to creating new characters. ASSASSINS!?!?! HOW MANY DO WE NEED?

...that is completely off-topic, but totally true, >.<

infinite azure

11-02-2012

Agreed, my friends have inconsistant latency, and something like this would be of great help to them

IS16d5da5f8759eedf2de31

11-04-2012

Interesting. Sadly ping/lag spikes are hard to anticipate. Best way to test ping/lag is probably still jumping into a custom game for a few minutes.
Just pinging a server is a little different from getting the actual data packets for a game.

Senescha

11-04-2012

As a matter of fact, everyone's ping used to be put under the tab score screen.

Nice as it sounds, most of us just used it as an auto "I'm killing guy with <insert high ping here> first."
If you had a high ping in the tabscreen, it was an effective autolock on your head in teamfights and jungles just sat in your lane waiting for you to lag a bit.

An in-game ping counter everyone can see is, unfortunately, a design flaw.

Edvard Rubeartis

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm8thendae View Post
Interesting. Sadly ping/lag spikes are hard to anticipate. Best way to test ping/lag is probably still jumping into a custom game for a few minutes.
Just pinging a server is a little different from getting the actual data packets for a game.

So make a simulator that creates 'virtual packets' and sends them back and forth four or five times. Perhaps to keep it from cluttering up the server bandwidth you could make it a "Test Ping Button" on the lol client screen.

I've had the annoying problem where in-game you don't get lag-spiked until you engage in battle. I can only assume that the data packet gets too big for your current bandwidth to handle, and at the moment that the lag actually matters, it goofs and creates unfair advantage for the enemy team (usually leading to your death...). Besides the fact that we are talking about micro-seconds of relayed information, over tiny copper wires, from 11 different synced computers (5v5+server), so the fact that we are actually having this problem to begin with is amazing.

Refining the before-mentioned idea, two or three of the virtual packets should be high-density packets to test the extremes (the moments that matter).

I want to continue to refine this idea, so pls comment. And don't just read. If this is going to get any momentum, everyone that sees it has to contribute, in the least by liking or disliking it. ty

Edvard Rubeartis

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senescha View Post
As a matter of fact, everyone's ping used to be put under the tab score screen.

Nice as it sounds, most of us just used it as an auto "I'm killing guy with <insert high ping here> first."
If you had a high ping in the tabscreen, it was an effective autolock on your head in teamfights and jungles just sat in your lane waiting for you to lag a bit.

An in-game ping counter everyone can see is, unfortunately, a design flaw.
Regardless that this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, I think its hilarious! The game has come a long way since then. And hopefully will go longer.