Support Orianna : We are as One.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2012

So I just played a game as Orianna top with max CDR and Rylai's and as much AP as I could get and it worked out super well. Basically, I just kept spamming shields and slows on top of everybody, slowed the living hell out of the enemy team and stopped people from capping with insane ease thanks to my Q-W-E+Rylai's combo. I didn't really do that much damage despite my Void Staff (in retrospect, I should have rushed DCap for more shield, I think), but damn I felt useful. I paired my ult with Warwick's (when he jumped in the middle of their team, it was pretty hilarious) and even managed to knock a greedy Hecarim into my fountain laser. Most of the time, I followed Darius and made sure he didn't die and secured two Quadras for him. The only times it got bad was when I made an obvious mistake and got out of position and died or when Hecarim ulted onto me and feared me towards their team (happened twice).

So, I have a question : Do you think my success was all luck or is Orianna any good at top? I felt kinda like a Lulu, but it was much more fun (objectively, I know Lulu is better, but I just love Orianna and her ball play). I feel like she's a good zoner, her lvl 4 team fight presence and poke are quite strong and her utility is high, plus, when paired with an initiator, she can create massive disruption. Her E-W combo is equally good for running and chasing, too, so I feel like she has many useful tools.

Opinions?

Sakuri Ono

11-01-2012

Looking at the build you ended up with? Respectfully; you got lucky. (Not to discredit player skill or anything; I'll explain.)

Now to clarify; Orianna isn't a bad choice. She's technically viable both top and bottom; but she can be team-reliant for positioning and awareness of your own ranges and abilities. You got extremely lucky in that no one seems to have focused you judging from that build. Without any defensive items (Rylai's helps, but doesn't really count as proper defense) you 'should' have been shredded by any decent gap closer.

If it felt like Orianna wasn't doing much damage then I can only assume something was wrong either with your total MPen, CDR, or the enemy team was just spamming tons of MR (contrary to SR logic stacking AP is not always the answer for doing more damage on Dom). She's not an assassin but her powered up Ws and Rs aren't anything to sneeze at. (Spam poking with her Q does some nice chipping as well.) Her shields are nice but her primary use I find is for mobility enhancement and position manipulation. Shielding the guy in front then W-ing to speed up gap closes for him and close-behind team-members will help catch kills and pull friends out of ganks they might not otherwise escape. The most important thing you can learn on Dom as well is how to use your R to produce what I call the 'Black Hole Escape'. When being chased aim your Q slightly to the back and to the side of the enemy's rushing path; wait until they're slightly past the ball but still in R-range. Pop the R and they'll be yanked back a fair distance away and to the side from you; making Orianna probably one of the few really good ranged gap-creators.

Unless I saw a direct replay I don't feel safe trying to analyze more than that. Hopefully that helps.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2012

Well honestly, no one was really paying attention to me, so this is why I didn't really have any defensive items. I could point out several mistakes my opponents made (the clearest example being the times when they focused me, we lost team fights pretty hard). Usually, I build more defenses in Dominion, but in this game it wasn't necessary.

As for my damage, I had MPen reds, the 10% MPen from masteries and rushed a Void Staff right after my CDR boots and a Codex (which gave me 29% CDR very early on), but since we had only Darius and WW's AAs for Physical Damage, the enemy team stacked MR. My Q-W-E (doing damage with shield I mean) did barely 500-600 damage to Hecarim. I still did respectable damage to Kog and Eve, but nothing crazy. I wasn't focusing on damage, though, because I was either kitting Fizz and Hecarim or slowing down Kog and shielding WW/Darius.

I think I got the basics of playing her, it's really more a good item build I need :P

HaIfhearted

11-02-2012

Ive played Orianna a bit myself, and I think you got lucky with team comp.

Orianna is a low damage utility/support caster who needs to work with high damage melees, and particularly benefits easily kitable melees like Olaf/Darius.

Don't get me wrong, I think Orianna is a potentially fantastic support when paired with the right comp, but I feel that she *needs* to be teamed with certain champions to work well in Dominion.

Auryiel

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
Ive played Orianna a bit myself, and I think you got lucky with team comp.

Orianna is a low damage utility/support caster who needs to work with high damage melees, and particularly benefits easily kitable melees like Olaf/Darius.

Don't get me wrong, I think Orianna is a potentially fantastic support when paired with the right comp, but I feel that she *needs* to be teamed with certain champions to work well in Dominion.
Well I certainly wouldn't pick her without an initiator and some high damage champions :P