[ How To ] Simple Way To Check Ping Before Going In Game

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xGary

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Please make it a habit to check your ping before you start a game. Contrary to popular opinion, you DO NOT have to create a friggin custom game to check your ping. If everyone checked their ping before they started a game, we would have way less dc's and lags.

Method:

1) Go into your Start Menu search bar and search for "cmd". If you can't find it, go to "C:\Windows\System32" and find "cmd.exe".

2) Open cmd and you should see a black window. Type in (without quotes) "ping google.ca -t". You can ping whatever server you want. I ping Google Canada because Google is reliable and I am in Canada.

3) Your ping is shown as "time = ping". ~20ms is normal, ~100ms starts to be laggy, and anything about 200ms is pretty bad.

Automate It:

You can simply create a file that you can double click and it will popup that window and start pinging automatically. Just open Notepad and copy and paste this:

cd c:/windows/system32

ping google.ca -t

Save the file as name.BAT


Make it a habit to open the file before you join a queue and make sure your ping is acceptable. Then keep the window open and keep an eye on your ping when you are in champ select. If you notice any lagging/spiking, quit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RIP Toyz

Member

11-01-2012

+1


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BruisingPrune

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Because pinging to the google server in canada is going to be the same as pinging to the riot server in california

lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyxiso

Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruisingPrune View Post
Because pinging to the google server in canada is going to be the same as pinging to the riot server

lol
This, pretty much.

And before you tell people to ping leagueoflegends.com, that's not the game server either, just the website one. IIRC WhattayaBrian (or however he's called) offered to give us an IP we could ping to check our ping, but probably forgot, or at least I didn't hear from him again.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xGary

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruisingPrune View Post
Because pinging to the google server in canada is going to be the same as pinging to the riot server

lol
If you ping Google and it shows that you aren't lagging, then you at least know for sure that there isn't any problem with YOUR internet. If you go in a game and it lags, then it is going to be Riot's fault and will most likely happen to everyone in the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xGary

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyxiso View Post
This, pretty much.

And before you tell people to ping leagueoflegends.com, that's not the game server either, just the website one. IIRC WhattayaBrian (or however he's called) offered to give us an IP we could ping to check our ping, but probably forgot, or at least I didn't hear from him again.
The whole point of this is to make sure that if there are any latency issues, it isn't YOUR FAULT. I tried to search the forums for the IP of the LOL server but I wasn't able to find anything. So the best you can do is ping Google and make sure that there is no problem on your side.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyxiso

Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGary View Post
If you ping Google and it shows that you aren't lagging, then you at least know for sure that there isn't any problem with YOUR internet. If you go in a game and it lags, then it is going to be Riot's fault and will most likely happen to everyone in the game.
Not true, if you're in Japan and ping google.jp, you'll get a nice ping, but it won't be the ping you'll get for League, since the League servers are here in America, not in Japan


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flyingbox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2012

So how does this affect league?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

steak style

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2012

If you want to check your ping, just play a quick beginner bot game or custom first


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnthroKemono

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Just goto: http://www.pingtest.net/
Choose San Francisco, CA.
There ya go.


12