Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Suggest me an AP champ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AleShadow

11-01-2012

I'm a lvl 10 summoner, but i played a year ago in another account(lvl 25) and have some DOTA experience, so i'm not a complete newbie. My two friends play AD carry and solo top roles respectively, thats why I'm trying the AP (usually mid lane) role and maybe support(I hate jungle).
According to this list:
http://leaguepedia.com/wiki/Season_2_World_Championship/Statistics
... good AP champs are Karthus, Vlad, Orianna, Anivia, Lux, Morgana, Cass, DIana, Ryze, Eve, Kat and Ahri for carries; and Sona, Lulu and Soraka for support.
I already have morgana, ryze and annie(morg is my main) and don't have any idea what to buy next.

My choice must fulfill these requirements:
- Good at mid
- Viable for another lane (bot or top) if somebody else picks a better mid champ
- Not super fast fingers required (stuff like kat, akali, etc?)
- Not super weak survability(I dont like ryze)
- Not full runes page required to work
- Good for solo q (I actually don't play much with my friends)

I was thinking of Ahri, but i'm a bit afraid she ends up being too hard to learn.

Xanif

11-01-2012

I am going to do my best in avoiding discussions of the "meta," but I will give you an idea of why you generally don't go AP in bot or top.

Top is the longest lane between towers, as a result it is the easiest lane to gank, that is why most bruisers go top, they are better at surviving ganks than other lanes. AD tends to go bot with a support because AD carry scales best in the game with gold and a support helps them stay alive during ganks (with bot being the medium length lane).

AP goes mid because that is the shortest lane and when you are solo as a squishy you want a short lane between towers to help you survive ganks.

What can you take from this? AP chars, unless you know exactly what you are doing, tend to fair best in mid and are not good at switching to other lanes.

THAT BEING SAID, vladimir is very versatile. He can go mid, but his escapes let you do well top as well. Swain also is fairly versatile.

Generally, since AP is slow and vulnerable they want to go mid but those two examples might help you.

Support is my main role so I can help you a bit more there. In no particular order: Taric, Sona, Soraka are my favorite supports. If you want to go unconventional, Zyra and Nidalee are good as well.

I wish you the best of luck, and take what I say about AP with a grain of salt as someone else might give better advice.

Magus Crow

11-01-2012

Vlad, Swain and Kennen can all go mid or top lane (Kennen is more often seen top than mid at this point but that doesnt mean he isnt a decent mid laner).

Zyra, Lux and Orianna are mids and can all support to some degree.

AleShadow

11-01-2012

Hmmm...It seems I definitively need 3 different AP champs (one for each lane) and not only one.

Zunder

11-01-2012

If you want a character whose good in two lanes from that list, you'll probably want Vladimir, Diana, or Lux.

Vladimir does well in both mid and top lane.

Diana can jungle, but I'm not an expert there. She might be able to do top lane too, though I don't see that much.

Lux is passable as a support, and her kit does somewhat resemble Morgana, though they definitely can't be played the same way. She's probably your best choice here.

Orianna might be your best bet, as she clears out mid lane very fast and can generally help out as a support. She's not the most specifically deadly champ though, and might take a while to really master, though it would be worth it.

I wouldn't use that list though, it's actually a bit misleading. Teams in the World Championships will pick champs for different reasons than someone in say, solo queue.

You're actually at the point where picking a new champ is going to be tricky, because Morgana, Ryze, and Annie are pretty simple, straightforward champs to use, and they also never really need to dive straight into danger to deal damage. Sona, Lulu, and Soraka are in the same boat as for simplicity, but they can't generally hold mid.

Personally in your situation I might go for Galio. He can hold his own top lane, harass pretty well as a support, and he's a mean pick in mid because he can build magic resist to get AP. By the end of the game, he's generally more of a utility tank than a mage or assassin, and that can be really useful.

Anivia is another champ that might work, though she's never a good start outside of mid lane. In the long run, she's awesome if you can master that wall.

I would avoid Cass, Katarina, and Karthus. They're high damage high skill cap champions, and might not be the best pick if you're jumping from Morg, Ryze, or Annie. Karthus especially is deceptive, as the only simple thing about his fighting strategy is his ultimate.

I would give more advice, but mid champs that do well in multiple lanes are generally the exception, especially if you're about to hit lvl 30, when people start playing the metagame much more seriously.

Magus Crow

11-01-2012

Anivia is pretty horrible outside of mid lane. She's too squishy to hold top and she really needs farm so she doesnt support well. Supporting with her IMO would be pretty akward anyways wall is a powerful tool but it doesnt pack the power of a stun or displacement in the lane phase and the only other thing she brings to the table is a skillshot stun.

I suppose the ultimate does slow both move speed and attack speed but your ADC is going to hate you if it takes many minions away and considering its AOE that's almost certain to happen (and mainly what I see it used for).

Fs Son0fSilas

11-02-2012

I'm not sure why you think Ryze has weak survivability OP? He is able to builld MULTIPLE defensive items that increase his damage, gains spell vamp on ult, and the ability to seriously chunk teams down. That being said, he requires fast fingers, and you have to be able to combo correctly.

Magus Crow

11-02-2012

Probably because typical Ryze build boots + 3 pots into tear, then catalyst, then Sorc shoes then finish RoA and make a beeline for Frozen Heart after that. Until he gets Catalyst he's a mage that needs to sit and farm tear to be effective and he's got no additional HP, armor or MR outside of runes and masteries. Until he gets Frozen Heart all he's got is sustain from Catalyst effect, HP off of RoA/Catalyst as well and spell vamp from ultimate.

Lower level players dont poke very well with him and should they go straight for tear and the opponent goes straight for double dorans he's in more than just a bit of trouble. I typically see him getting shoved around at this stage of the match and most never recover. Especially if the opponent grabs a hextech revolver and/or negatron cloak.

Invisibleally

11-02-2012

Lux and Morgana both have shields. Cass might have the hardest spike in the game (she's terrifying).

All 3 can easily strike multiple enemies with their ultimates. All 3 have an immobilization ability and seem to be able to farm pretty easily.

All the supports you mentioned are pretty stout, as well as Orianna- but all of them work better with a buddy in the lane.

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

11-02-2012

I will start off by saying that I main AD carries, so I may not be the best person to suggest APs. However, when I do sometimes need to switch it up due to team comp or just the urge to try something new, I have been playing Kennen and Gragas lately.

They both have good survivability - Gragas is a bit tanky and has his E for escape, or even his ult once he hits 6. Kennen also has a good escape with his E, or if you can get off his stun on a combo. Gragas can be built tanky, but does lots of AP damage if you build him as a mage.

I have taken Kennen both top and mid with reasonable success. Gragas, I have not tried in another lane. I will let others speak to whether or not he would be a good top choice.

Kennen does have some skill required to get a stun combo, but I wouldn't say fast fingers are required and his ult is just AOE. I think Gragas is pretty simple, but it may just depend on what your play style is or what exactly you mean by fast fingers required.

I think any champion that can fill in more than one role is generally good for solo queue as it makes you more flexible to fill in what your team needs.

One last note - I noticed a few people suggesting Lux. I have only played her once, so I won't try to speak to her kit in depth, but she was a ton of fun.