Zed's lore has the same issue as recent champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiteMeGood

11-01-2012

My idea:

"With his establishment of power firmly complete he begins his journey to the League of Legends, to hunt down the remainder of the Kinkou and defeat the order that continues to dictate balance in all things"

And Syndra's motivation for joing the league is simple: You do not want to become another Brand or Nocturne. Shackled for all eternity, she can defeat the best Ionia has to offer but a summoner will put her down so hard it won't even be funny.

Killchrono

11-01-2012

I'm honestly beginning to feel they're just moving away from giving heroes motivation to join the League simply not to make everything center around the League. They've outright stated they want to move away from the League as a story device and even give 'bound' heroes like Cho'gath and Brand more freedom.

Personally I don't mind it. A lot of champ bios have been 'BLAH BLAH BLAH BACKSTORY oh and then they joined the League for some half-baked reason.' I'm fine having their back stories have little to do with the league so long as they're thematically interesting characters with cool abilities.

RapZero

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R2 View Post
Umm maybe you didn't read enough but Shen and Zed are mortal enemies so even if Zed beat Shen earlier he still didn't kill him and maybe thats what he is trying to do.
I know logic doesn't really exist on League of Legends in general. But let's try to think about that realistically. If I'm Zed, I control the temple, I am training an army, I own the box, I defeated Shen and made him flee, and I killed my former master. Why would I waste my time and go to the league for Shen when I can just grow my numbers and make him come to me?

They could've just as easily added that Zed was spreading his influence to the league of legends or such.

Killchrono

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapZero View Post
They could've just as easily added that Zed was spreading his influence to the league of legends or such.
I think this is more or less what's implied. I agree it's a little clunky, but really, a lot of champions' reasons for going into the League are outright clunky.

I feel they should really start diving the lore into two sections; one which is the general champion background and overview with their reasons for joining the League like we used to get, and another for the short, anecdotal stories we've been seeing in the revised lore. I reckon that'd be a good compromise.

RapZero

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
I think this is more or less what's implied. I agree it's a little clunky, but really, a lot of champions' reasons for going into the League are outright clunky.

I feel they should really start diving the lore into two sections; one which is the general champion background and overview with their reasons for joining the League like we used to get, and another for the short, anecdotal stories we've been seeing in the revised lore. I reckon that'd be a good compromise.
I'm an avid reader and I'm all for reading in between the lines. However, when they are doing lore in this way, it is not a time when I want to dissect a story to find out a motive. It's not like I have a novel about Zed and I can deduce why he joined based on context clues and dialog. The way they the story written it reads like it has a conclusion. He killed master, beat shen, gg end of story. If anything league of legends lore should not have a conclusion. You use lore to explain about the champion's background, end with a motive as to why the wanted to join, and you let the summoners take the story from there by playing the champion in game.

Cerubois

11-02-2012

Quote:
I know logic doesn't really exist on League of Legends in general. But let's try to think about that realistically. If I'm Zed, I control the temple, I am training an army, I own the box, I defeated Shen and made him flee, and I killed my former master. Why would I waste my time and go to the league for Shen when I can just grow my numbers and make him come to me?

He didn't get the box... I assume the other ninjas took it with them when they fled (it's not really explained well), and he's assuming (probably correctly) that the Kinkou has it.

If there's one reason he's at the League, that's probably it. He's searching for the box.

For reference so you don't have to look it up:

Quote:
Mysteriously, he emerged unscathed, and threw the severed head of the master at Shen's feet. Screaming in rage, Zed commanded his followers to slaughter the master's students and seize the box.

FullmetaCatalyst

11-02-2012

"His edict is simple: perfect one's technique, and kill all ninjas who refuse to embrace the shadows." Zed will have difficulty killing Shen - and Akali, and Kennen - while they fight within the League unless he's there as well. There's also no mention that he actually found the box, as Cerubois said.

Perhaps it's weaker than it could be (especially compared to Nasus/Renek or Morg/Kayle, if it's a rivalry reason), but it's hardly the oddities that were Rengar and Kha'zix.

Elite Midget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2012

However, being in the League means he can't kill them at all. All he can do is officially fight them there and considering how he owns a Ninja Army and kills who he wants it's very unlikely that the league could top him from fighting Shen, Akali, and Kennen outside the league. Especially since his Ninja army is a rogue army and isn't owned by a country.

Pethrax

11-03-2012

I, a newb to the lore discusions, would like to pose this as a possible thought-

If I knew that my enemy was at a certain place consistently, and I knew that he was "protected" by the summoners, how would I get around that protection? I don't know what or how that protection works, so how can I get around what I don't know? My logic says, if I join, I will get said protection, giving me the opportunity to test it, figure out how it works, what it can and cannot do, and then, if the protection is uncircumventable, figure out how to remove the protection.

Just my 2 cents, though I have to agree, recently Lore has been lacking on the "Reason for joining" and like RapZero says, that is fine I suppose, but I would like to know why the champ is being introduced to us. Otherwise, I could just as easily say "Hey, this is freaking Spongebob Squarepants, play him" for his lore, and bam, it would be accepted! Not a direction anybody wants to go in.

MasqureMan

11-03-2012

Quote:
It doesn't explain why he joined the league of legends. Explain to us why Zed chose to join the bloodspread battlegrounds. I have no clue why someone would willingly join for no reason I have no clue why he joined. I have no clue why Rengar joined. I have no clue why Kha'zix joined. I have no clue why Syndra joined. Before lore was very clear. Vayne joined the league of legends because she saw all the dark magic and evil forces. Master Yi joined to take revenge on Noxus. Yet for some reason, lore team decided that including a reason why said champion wants to join the league was not an important factor.
Riots new lore stance is that the reasoning for joining the league is the players to infer and decide for themselves. Don't blame the messengers.