Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Difficulty of champion to start with?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LetsGoDeeper

11-01-2012

I have a quick question about whether or not I should start off with a champion that is difficult to play or one that is easier to play. I have been doing a lot of reading to improve my knowledge of the game, and I would put a lot of effort into it either way. So I am curious to know which is the right route to go down. Your responses are all deeply appreciated!

chaser676

11-01-2012

Start with an easy champion. Starting with a champ like orianna or syndra is a fast way to get frustrated.

AcidKats

11-01-2012

There are pros and cons to both options...playing with a more difficult character can hinder you at the beginning, but gives you a great pay off once you learn how to play them effectively.

Playing an easy champion makes things easy at first, which can give you nice insight as to how a game of LoL usually plays out. I personally find that it gets boring after a while, but that will happen if you play any champion for too long!

I think that learning the game with an easy character is the best option, because now that you will have known the basics, you can try your hand at spicing things up a little by using a champion with a higher skillcap

Hope I made the choice a little easier to make

Xanif

11-01-2012

I have to agree that you should start with an easy champ. I would even go so far as to play some bot games as well. There is a concept in LoL called "smurfing" where high level players will make low level accounts either to play with new friends or to simply just play against inexperienced people. There are many intricacies to any game that you will not understand as a new player and it is more important to learn basic strategies(last hitting, team fighting, jungle control, map awareness) and then work on playing the champions that dominate through player skill at that champ.

If you don't understand the macro game, learning the micro game will be self defeating.

LetsGoDeeper

11-01-2012

Sounds great guys! Now, do any of you have any suggestions on which champs to start with? I have already played with Ashe and I have been told that she is on the easier side. I am probably going to buy 2-3 champs to start with so any suggestions would be helpful!

chaser676

11-01-2012

Warwick, Morgana, Garen

OhBoyItsaMegaman

11-01-2012

Try the champions that are free this week rather than buying champions you haven't tried yet. Even though Morgana has a skillshot that is difficult to land due to its slow speed, I think it would be good to try her out. You'll learn to easily farm entire waves of minions with her W, and you'll get used to the idea of firing off a skillshot and then being ready to respond with a second skill if you see that it's going to connect.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

11-02-2012

it's a matter of preference. personallizing your play style to suit how you would have fun.

zraven7

11-02-2012

Annie is a solid choice to try out. Good damage, pretty easy to play, viable at most skill levels, and, hey, you get to throw a giant fiery teddy bear at people. Bonus.

kreepoto

11-02-2012

The first hero i liked and bought really cheap was nunu.
Even though hes really cheap you see people use him alot.
I even think in the LoL championships this season someone in azubu frost used him