Can we admit that Riot has overnerfed support?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheWaveWizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2012

They pretty much need a role-wide buff. I feel as though instead off nerfing as a general policy, Riot should have buffed worse supports.

Let me say, I'm not a primary support player. I love Sona, and have owned her for a while. I even have the Silent Night skin for her.

The way I see it, there is a reason why all of these unconventional supports came out of the wood works in S2. It's because Riot poo'd on your average support.

Think about it. Why would you pick a normal support who can CC, peel, etc., when you can pick a weirdo, like Zyra, who can support just the same AND do supplementary damage? Or Blitz, who can single-fistedly ruin a game with a single grab?

Furthermore, Riot exacerbated the problem by nerfing the **** out of any conventional support that had a chance to go into other roles.

I'm not saying the end of the world is among us, but I don't think that anyone can deny support players have been left with hamstringed champions shoehorned into only one lane.

Thoughts, GD?

EDIT: I'd like to make it a point to say that I'm not mad at all. Just wanted to spark a nice convo on what I've noticed.

EDIT2: I don't consider Blitz a conventional support, Taric is an exception to support's general badness right now, and Ali is fine now. So, stop saying that they're fine. Since when is a choice of 2-3 champs in a role good for this game? That's why Riot fixed the ADC trinity. We need moar supports. roit pls.

Leona is also in a good spot, but do keep in mind that she wasn't designed to be just a support. She just happens to fit there. As far as I know, she was designed to be a pure tank, stacked up with tank items. Just she's forced into support, because her early aggression rocks.

EDIT3: Downvote if you wish, but at least post why you think I'm wrong. I would appreciate it, as I don't make threads to be a dick. I legitimately want to learn from them.

Vintage Daisy

11-01-2012

Only thing I can think of is Riot doesn't like supports and wants to change the "meta", they have said that they prefer aggressive play styles over baby sitting don't they?

A Small Infant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2012

I've been playing Taric for a year and a half, I'm still doing fine.

TheWaveWizard

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Small Infant View Post
I've been playing Taric for a year and a half, I'm still doing fine.
Taric is pretty much the only exception to the situation, honestly. Quite surprised he hasn't been nerfed into the ground, though I'm happy for that.

X5TeRraN

11-01-2012

taric needs a buff make his stun last 3 seconds or something or make it scale with level

also, make it so his hammer applies a 35% slow every basic attack

Raftina

11-01-2012

I am sure Alistar, Blitzcrank, and Taric are in dire need of buffs.

Excluding Sona, whom I neither play nor played against with any frequency, the only support who might need buffs is Janna (and seeing how often Sona was used in the championship and the nerf immediately afterwards, I am highly skeptical of the Sona is too weak claim). Compared to Lulu, she has stronger CCs, but it doesn't seem to be worth the far higher mana cost and limited harass. Both have better on demand CC and can directly protect an ally with shield/heal, making them noticeably stronger peel picks than Zyra.

Being able to pick poke/damage oriented supports like Zyra and Lux is a good thing, because it diversifies the role without Riot deliberately limiting a character to the support role. The line of thinking that divides supports into "normal supports and weirdos" is the sort of rut that causes supports like Janna and Lulu to be nerfed outside of their support role in the first place.

Proto Waffles

11-01-2012

neither ali, blitz, nor taric need buffs lolz. those are teh supports that are either in a good spot or too good atm. if anyone needs a buff it would be janna, kharma, or some of the others that you never really see anymore

Deathsage

11-01-2012

No thats OK I would rather not contribute to the terribly stagnant play a support promotes.

bohmasterflex

11-01-2012

how do yall feel about zil as support?

hashinshin

11-01-2012

Que support circlejerk!