Ridiculous amounts of penetration

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malcoire

11-01-2012

Penetration. Penetration everywhere.

I wonder if this would be a viable build on an assassin... a bit squishy, but dealing true/close to true damage is pretty fun!

NotoriousBLT

11-01-2012

My mind went somewhere else when I read the thread title.

On topic though with the way % and flat penetration work together currently I think having that much flat penetration along with a last whisper is really a bit too much.

Also, WoTA on Garen 0_o? I've been away from the game for a little while so I may have missed something but seriously?

Malcoire

11-01-2012

Oh, that was just me fooling around. He really has no use for the AP, but I wanted to see how much spellvamp one could get for a low budget. I just picked Garen because I find him easy to stomp bots with so I could finish the build faster. And I agree the Last Whisper is excessive (but you never know when you're gonna fight a 300 armor Rammus!)

I guess the build was really oriented to an AD caster or an assassin. If no enemy has that much armor you could simply build a Bloodthirster/IE instead of the Last Whisper (or both, if you don't want Spellvamp, although I'd maybe change the WotA for a Gunblade, since AD casters benefit from Spellvamp for sustain).

A real question, though, would be: How scary would an assassin/ad caster be with this much ArPen? And how about a bruiser like Rengar? Is it worth being rather squishy?

NotoriousBLT

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcoire View Post
Oh, that was just me fooling around. He really has no use for the AP, but I wanted to see how much spellvamp one could get for a low budget. I just picked Garen because I find him easy to stomp bots with so I could finish the build faster. And I agree the Last Whisper is excessive (but you never know when you're gonna fight a 300 armor Rammus!)
LOL! Okay, I gotcha. I think having a good amount of flat armor pen could certainly be useful but you may want to tailor it to what your enemy is building. If they're going full on Rammus style "Yo dawg I hear you like armor..." then I'd say lower flat penetration and more % penetration. If they're building a moderate amount of armor, say 120 or somewhere around there, then flat pen stacking might be the way to go.

67chrome

11-01-2012

I don't really seeing that build (even sans-WotA) being that viable on much of anything.

Like Grimmgore said, the way % armor penetration stacks gives you diminishing returns with flat penetration, so you'd be better off just picking up some massive AD to actually use with the penetration. Or you could replace it with Black Cleaver, allowing (essentially) another 45 armor penetration.

Youmuu's Ghostblade and Lord Van Damm's Pillager are also both optimal on a different set of champions. One benefits a heavy reliance on auto-attacks while the other a favors a heavier reliance on abilities. Picking up another Brutalizer beyond those two items also seems like an easy way to screw yourself if the game goes on long enough for you to get ~1k more gold, considering the lack of upgrade opportunities and all.

Beyond that generally the best way to build up a champion is to multiply all their attributes off of other attributes rather than just stacking one. for instance, If you deal 100 damage every 1.0 seconds and pick up 2 +10 damage items you increase your DPS by 20%. If you pick up 2 +10% attack speed items you increase your DPS by 20%*. If you pick up 1 +10 damage and 1 +10% attack speed item you instead increase your DPS by 21%. Once you get to +100 attack and +100% attack speed you get +300% over +200% damage as well, so it keeps scaling even better when the chunks get larger. The same attribute efficiency can be applied to your DPS and EHP as well, were a combination of survivability and offense will end up being better than just survival or just offense (which is basically why bruisers **** on everything else 1v1). The only attributes that don't multiply with each other are AD and AP attributes (Generally why hybrid builds aren't fantastic). Long story short though, at a certain point you're better off going for something else than armor penetration.

*Technically all attack speed boosts in LoL only use your base attack speed and ignore all level-up attack speed boosts (which can get beyond +50% on some champions at level 18), so as far as LoL is concenred a 20% attack speed boost might be as little as a 13.33% attack speed boost. So I left that detail out on my stat-scaling example for clarity.