Can we admit Alistair is broken already?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyraknoss

10-31-2012

I mean really, he's constantly banned out from the lowest of elos all the way up to the World Championships. His ult makes him one of the most difficult to put down tanks. The AoE heal spam tends to mean the difference between killing his ADC and his team sweaping yours.

I know a lot of people like to call for nerfs on whatever flavor of the month champ is doing well but Alistair has been a problem for a while and he's a problem in all levels of play. I'd say the fact that he continues to be a required ban at all elo levels is pretty good evidence Alistair is in need of some serious work to bring him down to proper levels.

Dragoon14th

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Merc tread will stop allistar from CC you. And learn to see what kind of allistar it is. I've met some pretty bad ones up to god mode. Allistar isnt that great its how good the skill player plays him. And the ability to combo with other teammates GASP to function like a team. seriously play allistar first and try to get kills ur self ?

Nea De Penserhir

10-31-2012

Alistar isn't banned for his ultimate or his heal - He's banned because he is one of the most effective peelers and initiators in the game that never, ever has to worry about scaling through the game, other than keeping up on levels.

Diastolic Crisis

10-31-2012

Agreed with OP.

Alistar has been banned across all elos and even in high level tourneys for a long LONG time, how much more evidence does Riot need?

He doesn't need a nerf, he needs a full rework.

Cyraknoss

10-31-2012

Quote:
Merc tread will stop allistar from CC you. And learn to see what kind of allistar it is. I've met some pretty bad ones up to god mode. Allistar isnt that great its how good the skill player plays him. And the ability to combo with other teammates GASP to function like a team. seriously play allistar first and try to get kills ur self ?
If you're trying to get kills as Alistair you're playing him wrong. And yes I'll admit I've seen some terrible Alistairs but he's incredibly easy to learn, and even a mediocre player will wreak havoc with him. Which is why he's just effective at low elo as he is high.

Quote:
Alistar isn't banned for his ultimate or his heal - He's banned because he is one of the most effective peelers and initiators in the game that never, ever has to worry about scaling through the game, other than keeping up on levels.
Of course he's not banned for his ult or his heal, if those were all he had going for him he'd be pretty useless. The problem is the ult and heal combod with his insanely effective peel makes him as dangerous as Malphite but with far more power to survive a poor engage.

Steev0

11-01-2012

If they nerfed the DR on his ult to say 30/40/50% then he'd still have a crazy defensive steroid without being godmode for no gold. I think the only thing that puts him over the top is how tanky he can be when things get cereal even if he has no defensive items. He can buy Oracle's all game and kick over wards just because he has such a cheap item budget. Moreso than other GP10 supports.

I will say this though, I think bans are often overrated for most of us players. Sure they can make or break a tournament level game, but for us average players the difference in utility, damage, etc between different champs of the same role are much more diminished than we give them credit for.

RockJockey

11-01-2012

Alistar, even without his ult, his Q + W Combo is just so effective. Does this constitute the necessity of nerfing Alistar?

No. Just because someone locks Alistar in doesn't mean they win. Alistar has some great lane combos, but there is counter play to him and counter picks. Other Tank Supports can be just as effective, Malphite, Galio, etc...

Soviet Swain Disapproves Nerfs or Reworks to Alistar.

RadiantPyrophore

11-01-2012

No, actually there isn't counter-play, apart from Morgana and spell shields, nothing stops knocks, and CC reduction does not reduce them, and we know that Morgana is always banned (except at higher elos) and no one plays Sivir, so that leaves what? Nocturne? He's still melee and requires free time alone with the ADC to raep them, so it's not going to help him very much, especially when Ali has TWO knocks.

Only champion with two forms of unreducable CC, all you can do is block (spell shield) or dodge (untargetable, mobility) them, and mobility won't be helping you once he gets in range for a nice headbutt.

Add to that, his ult makes him basically as tanky as a tank can possibly be for 8 whole seconds with no items whatsoever. Add to that that it breaks CC and can be activated through CC? No counter-play at all.

He's just got too much uncounterable with no requirements the way he is now. He's honestly the only champion that has been nerfed as much as Irelia and still is pretty much permabanned, ESPECIALLY at higher elos.

RockJockey

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiant Coriolis View Post
No, actually there isn't counter-play, apart from Morgana and spell shields, nothing stops knocks, and CC reduction does not reduce them, and we know that Morgana is always banned (except at higher elos) and no one plays Sivir, so that leaves what? Nocturne? He's still melee and requires free time alone with the ADC to raep them, so it's not going to help him very much, especially when Ali has TWO knocks.

Only champion with two forms of unreducable CC, all you can do is block (spell shield) or dodge (untargetable, mobility) them, and mobility won't be helping you once he gets in range for a nice headbutt.

Add to that, his ult makes him basically as tanky as a tank can possibly be for 8 whole seconds with no items whatsoever. Add to that that it breaks CC and can be activated through CC? No counter-play at all.

He's just got too much uncounterable with no requirements the way he is now. He's honestly the only champion that has been nerfed as much as Irelia and still is pretty much permabanned, ESPECIALLY at higher elos.
Janna, Olaf, Morgana, Caitlyn, Lux, Ashe, Ezreal, and several other champions can ignore more of AListar's combo. Therefore counterplay. Many of them can also kite and kill Alistar as well.

Alistar is no doubt a strong character. I think he is fine as is. In the end, there is no way to absolutely balance every champion to be totally equal because each kit is inherently different. Alistar happens to have one of the stronger kits for a Tank.

Old Jax any day of the week is a million times scarier and literally uncounterable compared with our poor Alistar.

Best Zod NA

11-01-2012

Quote:
Merc tread will stop allistar from CC you.
Tenacity does not affect knock-ups.