Champs 2 Play, Poking Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe10112

10-31-2012

Hi guys,

So I’m looking for a relatively reliable champion to carry games with. I am Summoner Level 14 at the moment, but I mainly play with my Level 30 Friends (and usually do mediocre, I usually play Sona Support when playing with them), but when I play with my own Level, I tend to do fairly well generally. I am looking for a good “stomp” champion, a reliable champion at my level (and for levels to come) that I can rely on to get kills and carry games. I have RP to spare, so if it’s a 6300 IP champion, I’ll probably get it with RP (when it goes on sale). So…any suggestions for champions that I could try out? Preferably a champion that (once I learn how to play it) I can continue to play, even when I get to Level 20+ or so.

I’m not sure if I prefer Melee Players or Ranged at the moment, but I find I get a little apprehensive when I play Melee (such as Wukong, I bought him when he was on sale because I really wanted him, long story). As Wukong, sometimes I feel that my E + Q poke might be risky due to a counterattack by the enemy, and I’ll be scared, but when Ziggs was free, I was pretty comfortable throwing my Q around and forcing most of my lane opponents to use up all three Health Pots before I touched one of mine. (Side Question: Should I poke more? I generally get a little scared going up so close for pokes in lane and such…should I be worried? Or should I know that if I poke them, THEY are going to be scared and retreat, and not likely to counter-attack?)

Thanks for any help in selecting champions for me to try out, or for tips on poking and stuff, or just any tips/tricks you wish you knew when playing at my level. Any help is appreciated!

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

At level 14, Tryndamere wins all day.

EDIT: Now that I've done more than skimmed your post, Tryndamere's ultimate makes him completely unkillable for like 5 seconds, while his Q will give him some health and his E lets him escape overwalls. Run in, smack people with your big sword, just before death push R, 2 more whacks, escape over a wall with E, push Q, push B.

vortical42

11-01-2012

I believe he said he is looking for champs that will continue to be viable as he levels up. Tryndamere pubstomps at low levels, but he falls off hard once you start to encounter opponents that actually know how to exploit his weaknesses.

As for champs that can 'carry' a game, I assume you are looking for someone that will let you win even if your team is doing poorly? If that is the case you are going to need to learn a different role as well. The only lanes that can really do that are Jungle and Mid. Top and bottom lanes can't effectively roam to help a struggling team mate or press an advantage without risking their own lanes.

As for champs, in jungle you want someone who is not so mana dependent that they depend on blue buff. Amumu and Skarner are good examples of champions to be avoided for this reason. For mid you want someone with high mobility and the ability to rapidly clear minion waves. The idea is that if you see trouble brewing or a potential opportunity to take a tower or dragon, you quickly push the minion way to the enemy tower and then leave to go help your team. Morgana and Eve are both champions who do this well.

Leninon

11-01-2012

Hello Joe10112,

1. Pls state all your champs (also gives the champ count-> how flexible advise i can give later)

2. Dont waste RP when the goal is 15-20min games=> IP (ex quick bot game 'automatic natural win')

3. Problem solving-
state the problem seperate
then work on the obvious path to fix it

4. At champ select
Aim for fluid victories where not only u bring the hurt but your team is like an extra combo limb that knows where your going and how to best aid u naturally.

5. Personal achievements
Play around with tempo&combos A.ninja soraka (ex. u solo vs backward ez+soraka) B.riven (shen/renekton/irelia/...The Foot champs 'double up' with a partner or glue to them united) .Try to go for 'footsies bush harass'(soraka/miss fortune/akali) and to always attempt a kill (superpassive-superaggressive love-hate) in non ranked. Eventually you should get a feel for incoming ganks and safe pokes ~annie (deterence) or ashe.Or clairvoyance/trap champs is a good guessing game for achievements. Leblanc can poke but its more advanced team play.

6. Exploit the terrain. corner pokes, bush wars, even warding/trap their exit paths(goal is to not use wards and potions tho).

7. U really need wide amount of champs due to the playstyles. Nid/cait is more advanced. Always look at the Auto attack ranges and look up Your opponents items(experienced opponents know more than one way to counter with their pet champ). A good poke should not be ganked but lead to a team gank ->more team gold.

8.finally some champs are actually not the solo or frontline soldiers the community takes them to be. Playing against bots and newbies is one thing. Dominating anyone that takes this seriously is another. The end game stats gives the finest playstyle of the team or individual (gold and damage management for harass). Even the number of ranged to tanky missing is important. Be careful in labeling 'support' in this game, im sure there are no dedicated supports. Most of the players consider anyone lingering in lane well behind them (turret hugging) as 'support' aid and tend to shift the blame.

Theres way more but i want it to be simple and clear.

hav fun,

Leninon

Joe10112

11-01-2012

@Leninon:

I own Wukong, Morgana, Fiddlesticks, Evelynn, Soraka, (Arcade) Sona, Alistar (Free), Annie, Malphite, Yi, Tristana.

I only really play Wukong, Evelynn, Sona and free champions at the moment, but I used to play Morgana and Fiddlesticks pretty much every game.

I want to play with real players, not with bots, and RP isn't a huge problem, I'll only spend them on 6300 IP champions that I can stomp with at low level, but play with still at higher levels.

Thanks for those tips by the way. Really appreciate them. But any champions?

Joe10112

11-01-2012

(Sorry for double post, not sure if it is allowed?)

So Jayce and Shy are on sale right now. I heard that Shy is really good (as my friends tell me), and Jayce is just great I know, since I've had to play top against him a few times. I have 3323 RP, so I can pick up both of them if you guys recommend it. Should I? Jayce seems like a poke-master, as he can both go ranged AND melee, with that Gate + Sphere = Lots of Damage poke...

Terrelllll

11-02-2012

if you're looking to CARRY a game there's a few different approaches you could take.

AD carry- pretty self explanatory. you do heavy damage, and if left unkilled in a teamfight, you can melt their entire team. the problem is, at early levels you probably won't have a support player to help you farm, or competent team members to keep you alive. ad carries are heavily reliant on their support players early game, so not having a support player or having a bad support player can really screw you over. a few ad carries i would recommend: corki, ashe, vayne.

AP carry- i personally love mid. you're basically on an island, with you vs your opponent. you don't really need to rely on anyone besides your jungler, and yourself. there are lots of different mages, and you should choose one that fits your playstyle. if you're looking to singlehandedly carry a team, i'd advise a burst mage for a quick victory. a couple awesome burst mages are leblanc and veigar. ahri, brand, and annie are also very good mage choices.

top- top is normally where the bruisers go. top has the largest pool choice of champions because there are so many viable choices to go top lane with. this however is a completely different playstyle from your AP and AD carries. with AP and AD carries you wanna stay on the outskirts of the battle, doing damage while you can while taking minimal counter attack. if you're a bruiser, you need to be in the heart of the battle. and the items you choose to build will set you up for either failure or success. a lot of top laners try to "counter" each other with items. if you're going against heavy ap, build magic resistance, and vice versa for physical damage. you always wanna be aware of who is doing the most damage on their team, and whether you need resistances, health, or maybe damage. i personally think top is the best for carrying a game. a couple champs you could probably steamroll with would be darius, or rumble. the beauty of being a bruiser is you can take whatever damage the enemies are throwing at you, and you can dish out even more.

random tidbits:
generally the enemy will send their AP carry mid. talon is an anti-mage assassin and poops all over them. he's a very easy champion to snowball with as well, so i would recommend talon.
CSING. probably the most important aspect of the game. csing is when you last hit the minion to get the gold for killing it, (creep score). it's how you maintain your gold income and build an advantage over your opponent. if you don't kill minions, you aren't gonna have money to buy any items with, plain and simple. practice and get into the habit of trying to get the last hit on minions. you'll see huge improvements in your game when you master this.

it's 4am, can't sleep, class in 3 hours, i don't know why i'm up lol. but anyway, i hope i helped.

vortical42

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe10112 View Post
@Leninon:

I own Wukong, Morgana, Fiddlesticks, Evelynn, Soraka, (Arcade) Sona, Alistar (Free), Annie, Malphite, Yi, Tristana.

I only really play Wukong, Evelynn, Sona and free champions at the moment, but I used to play Morgana and Fiddlesticks pretty much every game.

I want to play with real players, not with bots, and RP isn't a huge problem, I'll only spend them on 6300 IP champions that I can stomp with at low level, but play with still at higher levels.

Thanks for those tips by the way. Really appreciate them. But any champions?
That's actually a really good set of champions to cover most situations. If I was going to pick just one champ you should buy, I would reccomend a second AD Carry, preferably someone that is a beast late game like Vayne or Kogmaw. That's pretty much you only position where you don't have at least 2 solid picks.

Joe10112

11-02-2012

Alright, thanks for suggestions. I think I'll pick up Jayce and try him out, if I end up failing as him/don't like him, oh well, tried something new, gave Riot some $$, no big deal.

I'll try out Kog'Maw, really thought about buying him since he was IP reduced, but I'll wait for him to go free for me to try him out.

Thanks again guys! Any other suggestions/comments are always welcome.

Bloodstaindewok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe10112 View Post
Alright, thanks for suggestions. I think I'll pick up Jayce and try him out, if I end up failing as him/don't like him, oh well, tried something new, gave Riot some $$, no big deal.

I'll try out Kog'Maw, really thought about buying him since he was IP reduced, but I'll wait for him to go free for me to try him out.

Thanks again guys! Any other suggestions/comments are always welcome.
Joe, I just wanted to commend you for the post as a lot of us would've benefited from something like this when we were lower level. Your question is spot on, it's about how the champ scales not just game to game but also level to level. Jayce is monster even after the nerf, as we've already established, and is on-sale so it's a win-win. Shyvana is pretty good in that category as well. She lacks a form of true CC (her ult really doesn't count in this area) but she has tons of harass and most of it's melee save for her E. She scales great and plays equally well with either the straight tank or straight DPS playstyle. The best part is that she does a hybrid tank/DPS very well. For half price you won't be disappointed with this champ even at higher levels. Beware of Kog'Maw. He's good but he's EXTREMELY dependent upon who he's laning with. When it comes to getting separated or isolated his effectiveness becomes almost null. Higher levels tend to punish Kog whether he plays AP or AD carry because with him you are kinda locked into the glass cannon mentality. He can still do great, but more so than other ranged carries you will have to constantly monitor the minimap and your position/posture in the lane. If you do try him, please get E as your first for long range harass/poke, then max W ASAP, then max E while cleaning up Q along the way and grabbing ULT whenever it's up. And always, always fire your ULT approximately half a fingernail in length ahead of where they are running. Hope some of this helps! Good luck and see you in the queue.