Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion Help, Poking Question, Tips? (~Level 15)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe10112

10-31-2012

Hi guys,

So I’m looking for a relatively reliable champion to carry games with. I am Summoner Level 14 at the moment, but I mainly play with my Level 30 Friends (and usually do mediocre, I usually play Sona Support when playing with them), but when I play with my own Level, I tend to do fairly well generally. I am looking for a good “stomp” champion, a reliable champion at my level (and for levels to come) that I can rely on to get kills and carry games. I have RP to spare, so if it’s a 6300 IP champion, I’ll probably get it with RP (when it goes on sale). So…any suggestions for champions that I could try out? Preferably a champion that (once I learn how to play it) I can continue to play, even when I get to Level 20+ or so.

I’m not sure if I prefer Melee Players or Ranged at the moment, but I find I get a little apprehensive when I play Melee (such as Wukong, I bought him when he was on sale because I really wanted him, long story). As Wukong, sometimes I feel that my E + Q poke might be risky due to a counterattack by the enemy, and I’ll be scared, but when Ziggs was free, I was pretty comfortable throwing my Q around and forcing most of my lane opponents to use up all three Health Pots before I touched one of mine. (Side Question: Should I poke more? I generally get a little scared going up so close for pokes in lane and such…should I be worried? Or should I know that if I poke them, THEY are going to be scared and retreat, and not likely to counter-attack?)

Thanks for any help in selecting champions for me to try out, or for tips on poking and stuff, or just any tips/tricks you wish you knew when playing at my level. Any help is appreciated!

Seravertei

10-31-2012

The best time to poke them is when they go to kill a minion, that way they can't retaliate without using a skill.

Joe10112

10-31-2012

@^: But that's kind of what I'm a little apprehensive about, they'll use a skill and I'll be forced to retreat, I don't want to get killed. Should I be more bold about stuff? Be more aggressive?

Champ Suggestions also needed! (Thanks though!)

Umbral Highlord

10-31-2012

How much you poke depends on both your/your enemies play type and the champions you're both using. As to your champion question if you want a "Stomp" character (assuming you mean to get several kills)...
Melee: Darius, Jax, Irelia, Katarina, Olaf, Poppy
Ranged: Any fed ap/ad carry can do this. ("Good" ADC: Ezreal, Graves, Corki, Kog-Maw) APC more so depends on your play-style.
Melee and Ranged: JAYCE

xBoo

11-01-2012

the EQ combo on Wukong is great. The trade should usually go in your favor because hes so strong early game. Always try to keep an eye on CS while trying to poke. For me i usually keep CS first, poke second.
When you seem them go for a cs just harras them with an AA at least then back out. If you keep doing that eventually you'll wear them out enough for the EQ to be a kill combo.

Invisibleally

11-01-2012

Quote:
Joe10112:
Hi guys,
So I’m looking for a relatively reliable champion to carry games with..... I am looking for a good “stomp” champion, a reliable champion at my level (and for levels to come) that I can rely on to get kills and carry games.

My preference tends to be long-range attackers. Twitch, Sivir, and Urgot are my favorites of this type. Sivir and Urgot hit from long range and I build them with armor pen (Youmuu's Ghostblade, Last Whisper, Black Cleaver, Brutalizer). They become quite deadly. Urgot you can build a bit more tanky but I find armor Pen is the way to go. Urgot seems more challenging, but frequently picks off enemies at long range. Sivir is fun, easy, and powerful. Twitch does better with attack speed in my opinion. I like to build him Ionic Spark, Malady, Bloodrazors, Wit's End, Phantom Dancer (not necessarily in that order but I normally go for the spark first.

Twitch also plays somewhat differently. He starts out squishier so you really want to look for opportunities to strike with impunity against enemies. Twitch requires a lot of patience, just hit once or twice at a time and when the enemy provides an opening to tag them plink them to keep poison going as long as possible. Use his poison vial at long range to extend the amount of time they take poison damage. It's easy to rack up a lot of damage because enemies underestimate Twitch's poison (it's dealing TRUE damage). I can't remember what it maxes out at but the damage over time averages around 4 per tick per second in the early levels I think, and poison lasts 6 seconds.

4 damage x 6 ticks = 24 damage x 6 seconds = 144 true damage.
Late game: at least 8 damage x 6 ticks= 48 damage x 6 seconds = 288 true damage

It drastically lowers enemy sustain, so as Twitch you actually PREFER multiple long range pokes as opposed to one big fight, but his stealth puts fighting in your favor as well because you always get the first hit. That's pretty reliable.

Andarel

11-01-2012

For champions who can carry games, most champs can do that. Supports that don't do damage can "carry" in that they are a huge factor in why you won, but if you're looking for piles of kills, here are a few things to think about:

1. How well does this champion scale?

One of the best carries in the game is Karthus, due to his massive AP DPS and his ultimate being reliable. He also has excellent poke, due to his Q being spammable and doing surprisingly good damage if you land it correctly. Unfortunately, he is slow and squishy - if he's stuck in 1v1 close-range combat and you don't land all your Qs and kill them before they kill you, your best bet is to try to kill them with your 7 seconds of undeath and hope for the best. On the other hand, one of the worst carries in the game is Janna - while you can build her to do damage, she won't be strong enough because her skills have incredibly long cooldowns and her AD scaling isn't good. However, she brings amazing sustain, defensive abilities, and disengage to a team; just don't count on her to do lategame damage.

In terms of poking, do it if:
- You'll deal more damage than you take (over time, counting sustain)
- You can afford to spend the time/mana
- It won't make you miss CS
- It won't make you vulnerable to ganks

For someone like Ziggs or Karthus, throwing Q at the enemy is reasonable and normal, and it's safe poke. For someone like Lee Sin, though, you don't "poke" - you jump in for short engagements and then shield out. The goal is the same, though, to force trades in your favor over short periods of time that benefit you. As Caitlyn, with her massive range, just walk around and auto the enemy then walk into bush to drop minion aggro, especially if they're last-hitting and you have Headshot up.

A lot of the best champs to carry games with are cheap, especially at low levels when people aren't focusing and CC'ing you correctly. Some people to try who remain good at all levels are:
- Sivir
- Jax
- Kayle
- Ryze
- Cho'Gath
- Tristana
- Katarina
- Karthus
- Mordekaiser

Save your RP for someone you find fun, and test champs out during free weeks. You'll get a feel for what you can survive and what you like to play as you level up.

Joe10112

11-01-2012

Awesome, thanks!

So Shy and Jayce are both on sale this week. I have 3323 RP, so I can spare RP for this sale. My friends tell me Shy is pretty good, but Jayce also seems great (I've fought against a few, and it gets hard with Acceleration Gate + Orb Thingy = Lots of Damage).

So should I pick one (or both? o.O) up?

Really not too into skins at the moment, as I don't have any champions I "love" just yet (although if Jade Dragon Wukong goes on sale...I will not hesitate to pick that up).

Magus Crow

11-01-2012

Jayce remains a strong pick in top lane. He's got all kinds of utility, good poke and killing potential in a lot of ways. He does lack a true ultimate and sustain but both of these can be reasonably worked around. If you lack a good top laner I might pick him up.

Shyv is a different sort of beast. She's mainly seen in the jungle and does relatively well there with good clear times and decent counter-jungle ablility. Despite this she isnt exceptionally tankish nor does she have any real CC on her which limits her usefulness as you are relying on others to provide this for you. Unless you get help or land a dragon transform back into group your ganks tend to fail more often than not. She's a niche pick... cant say as I'd recommend her to someone who has never played her and she doesnt work in all team compositions.

existingdark

11-01-2012

Fiora is an extremely powerful champion. She's a melee carry with high damage potential.

Her entire kit, aside from her passive, is extremely powerful.

Q is your "one point wonder" being a utility skill that gives you the ability to lunge at an opponent twice (or two opponents).

W is a two-part skill. Initially, it will give you 15 Attack Damage passively (At level 5, you have 35 AD passive)

It's active ability is a parry, which blocks one attack (mostly auto attacks) and deals damage to the champion that attacked. This means you will win trades with your lane opponent with ease.

Your E is an amazing ability which gives you a short burst of attack speed (120% at max) and then gives you movement speed if you have attacked a minion, monster, or champion during the duration.

Your R is a 5-part attack which teleports you to targets, making you invulerable for the duration, and then places you at the champion you initially targeted.

Your main "bread and butter" combo is Q, W+E, Q (W and E should be almost at the same time), R, and then Ignite. If this combo does not kill your lane opponent (even under tower) then you are doing something wrong, most likely.

Build is Ninja Tabi/Mercs, Inf Edge, Bloodthirster, Phantom Dancer, Bloodthirster, Phantom Dancer

(With this build, you will be doing ~1000-1200 damage per crit, along with a crazy amount of lifesteal. This build can also solo baron if your bloodthirsters are stacked enough.

Enjoy your free wins