Quell, the World Dancer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firellius

10-31-2012

This character was a sudden idea sparked by another complaint about a lack of champion diversity. I hope that this concept will be perceived as being at least slightly refreshing! I am looking for feedback on this as well, hoping to make this into a truly enjoyable concept.

Quell, the World Dancer

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lore

In Demacian culture, it's considered an honor to join the military and serve the crown as a soldier. So much so, that some people are pressed into becoming a soldier, even if their talents lie in something else entirely...

Quell was born as the son of a general in the demacian army, and as the perfect son in a perfect family, he was expected to follow his father's footsteps. He was trained in the art of war, learning to wield a sword from a very young age, all in the hopes of him becoming a legend on the battlefield someday.

However, while his footwork was eccentric and exceptional, his swordwork was sloppy and unfocused. His mind was with something else entirely whenever he was training. He knew exactly what he wanted to be doing, but he was afraid to tell his father for fear of the disappointment it would bring. He didn't want to fight as a soldier. He wanted to dance.

Desperate to make his father's dreams come true he kept on fighting, practicing his dancing in private, his only musical guidance his own humming.

His life took a turn for the better when he was invited to a party in Demacia's high society. And while his father tried to show his son's best side to Garen, it was the man's sister Luxanna who spotted an even better side.

She recognized his potential fairly quickly, spotting his hesitation whenever the subject switched to life as a soldier. On that very party, she invited him for a private conversation, confronting him with her suspicions, to which he admitted.

In an attempt to satisfy both parents and his desire to dance, Lux pleaded with the College of Magic, and together they developed a new form of magic, tailored to Quell's talents.

He took well to his teachings, which he followed in secret still. By day he would practice swordsmanship, by night magic. But his dedication pushed him through night after sleepless night, and he ultimately learned to control the elements with his movements, his elegant steps conjuring power, his swirls releasing bursts of energy.

Eventually he applied to the league, wishing to join the girl who had been his support, his savior and his mentor. He was more than ready, confident in his talents.

It was difficult for him to tell his parents, but when he was accepted as part of the league, he knew he wouldn't disappoint. His parents would be proud, and one day he might even surpass his father's standing.

Summary

Quell is an AP character, possibly with a slight focus on melee abilities. His kit is intended to create a flowing, continuous playstyle, utilising low cooldowns and increased mobility to simulate his actual powers.

Quell is a triple form champion, using his ultimate to switch between the three elements of Air, Fire and Water, each element slightly altering his skills. Using these elements in the right way will be key to victory for him.

Quell's visual design is an alluring male, with graceful features and a lean build. His gentle nature is evident in his presentation, smiling warmly amidst a flurry of energy.

Quell will have his ultimate at level one and be unable to level it. Which means his abilities will reach level 6, much like Karma.

Role: AP Carry
Theme: Dance, Elementalism
Defining Traits: Multiform, Low Cooldown, Melee bonuses
Release Skin: Enthralling Quell. Clad a bit more scantily, showing off a very well defined, but lean body. His features are a bit more otherworldly, with stunning blue eyes, and long, bright blonde hair. Eyecandy for the ladies and gay/bi men, in response to the "Females are sexualised" topics popping up from time to time. Leveling the field a bit.

Abilities

[Passive] Pulsing steps: Every time Quell uses an ability, he releases energy in an area around him, dealing damage and applying a bonus effect depending on the element.

Fire: Additional damage
Water: Slows targets hit for a short time
Air: Accelerates nearby allies for a short time

[Q] Linear Motion: Quell performs a lunge, extending his arm to guide energy into a projectile. The projectile deals damage upon contact and applies an effect depending on the element.

Fire: Additional damage
Water: Slows target hit
Air: Passes through targets and knocks them back

[W] Alluring Twist: Quell's movement releases energy with every step, causing him to release an automatically targeting projectile, occurring more often as his movespeed increases. This projectile deals damage and prioritizes champions. Quell also applies a buff to himself, depending on the element.

Fire: Temporarily gains bonus AP, stacking up to five times.
Water: Heals himself for a small amount.
Air: Accelerates himself for a moment.

[E] Elegant Burst: Quell spins and releases a burst of energy, taking different shapes and applying a bonus effect depending on the element.

Fire: Releases a line missile which leaves behind burning ground.
Water: Releases a wave in a cone, forcing enemies back.
Air: Releases two cyclones that arc outwards before joining back together in the targeted area. Knockup is applied in the targeted area.

[R] Switch Step: Quell changes his element, cycling between Fire, Water and Air.

Final notes

Important is that Quell's cooldowns are low, especially on his Q. He will be much like Cassiopeia and Karthus in that aspect, in that he has a continuous DPS. His passive is aimed at making it rewarding for him to engage in melee range, truly making use of the more close ranged nature of combat dance.

I am not yet pleased with W, but I have trouble finding a good, low cooldown alternative that hasn't been done to death yet.

Revised and Scrapped ideas

None as of yet

Firellius

11-01-2012

Bump, in search for more feedback.

raphaelbouch

11-01-2012

Does he get is ult at lvl1?

Firellius

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelbouch View Post
Does he get is ult at lvl1?
Yes, it's in the summary. He would function much like Karma in that aspect.

Omnifinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2012

1. I love this.
2. How coincidental is it that not only does my upcoming creation have a passion for dance (though it's displayed in her movements and not abilities), but also that her character is helped along greatly by Luxanna? -_-

Anyways, as I said, I love this. It's unique, well described and quite easy to visualize. I can easily see him on the Fields.

Firellius

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnifinity View Post
1. I love this.
2. How coincidental is it that not only does my upcoming creation have a passion for dance (though it's displayed in her movements and not abilities), but also that her character is helped along greatly by Luxanna? -_-

Anyways, as I said, I love this. It's unique, well described and quite easy to visualize. I can easily see him on the Fields.
Well, I chose Luxanna not only because she's involved with the military through her brother, but also because she has a history with the college of magic and I get the impression she sees war differently than most Demacians.

All in all, if anyone were to mentor him in this, she was the most logical choice!

(And I also love her as a champion!)

Omnifinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
Well, I chose Luxanna not only because she's involved with the military through her brother, but also because she has a history with the college of magic and I get the impression she sees war differently than most Demacians.

All in all, if anyone were to mentor him in this, she was the most logical choice!

(And I also love her as a champion!)
Obviously, it pays to understand the lore some. I struggle immensely writing my own, though I suppose my lack of knowledge in LoL's lore is at fault. Can't really write for a world that you have no understanding over, y'know?

Firellius

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnifinity View Post
Obviously, it pays to understand the lore some. I struggle immensely writing my own, though I suppose my lack of knowledge in LoL's lore is at fault. Can't really write for a world that you have no understanding over, y'know?
Well, the lore is not a big deal at the moment, kind of faltering over the past few months. I haven't been paying much attention to it myself, but sometimes a champion's aesthetics or playstyle make me delve a little deeper.

Firellius

11-02-2012

Rebump!

HellComet

11-18-2012

I like this, it would work with my desire to button mash. And DANCING EVERYWHERE!