Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Poppy Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cadfan

10-03-2010

I'm going to do some testing later tonight, but anything you guys can tell me for certain will really save time in practice games.

I just unlocked Poppy. I think she's a lot of fun to play, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a build. In order to figure out what I should be doing, I have a few questions. Some might be stupid, some might be easily solved, so forgive me if I ask things everyone already knows. In my own defense, I'm going to put in the leg work on this in an hour or so to answer any questions you guys don't already know.

Technically Devastating Blow isn't a magical attack on its own like Heroic Charge. Instead its a buff that boosts her next regular attack within a certain number of seconds, adding a big bonus to damage, and making all of the damage count as magical. So with that in mind,

1. Does anyone know if Madred's Bloodrazor activates during these attacks? It wouldn't activate on Heroic Charge, if I understand correctly, because that's not a basic attack. But Devastating Blow sort of is.

2. Has anyone experimented with cooldown reduction, to help figure out whether its better to hit with one really big Devastating Blow, or to hit with several smaller ones?

3. Since Devastating Blow is magical damage, does that mean that it doesn't benefit from life steal, but does benefit from spell vamp?

4. Since Devastating Blow is a dischargeable buff, can you activate it, use Heroic Charge, and then hit with your Devastating Blow as the immediately next attack?

5. Sheen, like Devastating Charge, gives you a dischargeable buff that boosts your next basic attack. Does it boost the actual attack that discharges Devastating Blow? Or does it buff the next one after that?

6. Sheen says it has a 2 second cooldown. Is this the time period before the buff it grants fades? Or is it the time period before you can get another buff from Sheen? If I cast a spell, attack, then cast a spell again, then attack again, all in under 2 seconds, will Sheen activate twice (because I got the Sheen buff then discharged it within 2 seconds, then cast another spell to get a new Sheen buff), or will it activate only once (because it was still in cooldown when I cast the second spell)? This matters for Heroic Charge / Devastating Blow combos.

Diomedea

10-03-2010

Sheen > DFG -> Lichbane.

1. It should apply on the same autoattack that applies devastating blow. Not like it would be a big deal if it didn't.

2. You need max CDR to be able to use your devastating blow more than once during your ult. And even then there's little room for error. If you want CDR get golem, but skipping on your offensive items to get more CDR isn't a good idea.

3. Spell vamp IIRC

4. Yes

5. Sheen and DB apply on the same hit

6. 2 second between sheen procs (aka you can only get a sheen "buff" once every 2 seconds)

Cadfan

10-03-2010

Thanks. I actually just played a practice game to test, and was able to verify that your answers are correct on 1 through 5. I have no idea on 6, so I'll take your word for it. :-)

I think my Poppy build will be something like, in no particular order,

Boots (the Enhanced Movement 3 ones)
Something for mana regeneration, I don't know what yet
Sheen
Madred's Bloodrazor

Whatever else I need based on the match, possibly something with magic resistance.

D2K

Senior Recruiter

10-03-2010

http://www.mobiafire.com

Problem solved.

PantyKnight

10-03-2010

uh yeah, make that http://www.mobafire.com

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

10-03-2010

Quote:
Cadfan:
Thanks. I actually just played a practice game to test, and was able to verify that your answers are correct on 1 through 5. I have no idea on 6, so I'll take your word for it. :-)

I think my Poppy build will be something like, in no particular order,

Boots (the Enhanced Movement 3 ones)
Something for mana regeneration, I don't know what yet
Sheen
Madred's Bloodrazor

Whatever else I need based on the match, possibly something with magic resistance.

There are two common ways to play Poppy: AP or AD. Poppy's ult increases the damage she deals to her target by 20/30/40%. This damage increase also affects DFG and Ignite (as well as anything else, like Bloodrazer). So the idea behind AP is one super-nuke with DFG, Lichbane-DB, and Ignite. That person will die, but Poppy will then do nothing for the rest of the fight.

AD generally gets Triforce, then other AD items. While your burst won't be a strong, it'll still be sizable, and your regular attacks will actually do something.

I personally do Triforce, Nashor's, and Youmuu's. 40% CDR, and the game's generally over by the time that happens.

I highly recommend MP5/level seals and glyphs. Poppy's one of the worst farmers in the game, and being able to use DB to get last hits helps a lot. Start with Doran's Shield when you're starting out, but you can later switch it to blue gem + Strength of Spirit to get you Sheen faster. Whether or not you go AD or AP, Sheen should always be your first item.